ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cup Uneven Rear Tyre Wear

Noticed that the left rear tyre was wearing significantly faster on the outside edge so took it to the dealer to ask if they could check alignment. Answer, "Its a Cup model and the manufacturers tolerance is for up to 2mm uneven wear across the tyre"

This sounds like a complete load of bo***ks to me, and its going to mean a new tyre quite shortly as the outside edge will be bald. While there is no direct adjustment on the rear wheels, previous front wheel drive cars that I have owned where this has been a problem, the dealer has fixed by adding shims.

Is this just the dealer being lazy and awkward or is there a genuine reason why they cant sort this out?

from a post i had up in the mechanical bit mate folk seemed to think that renaults in general do have uneven tyre wear across the back it all depends how much you mean though

It could also be due a faulty tyre..

Lagunas fitted with continentals are prone to it.. And its purely down to the tyre manufacture..

You could get it (the tyre) sent away for analysis..

I replaced the front tyres on the 172 because of this, as did a few others, I just took it as normal and due to cornering a bit enthusiastically.

driving style i would guess at, mine were totally f**ked on the outside edge, id say i drive mine fairly quickly through roundabouts and bends, its simple physics that tells you the outer edge will take a hammering

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

renaults have always slightly scuffed the outer edge of the rear tyres for as long as i can remember. as long as its not overly excessive then its ok in renaults eyes.

Are the front wearing down the same?

It might just be your experiancing more wear as on righ handed bends your realy pushing it so wearing its outer edge more.

Have you checked the pressure of it? What about trying swopping front and back round (The best tyres should be on the back anyway) you might find its a bad tyre or something.

[Edited by edde on 17 June 2004 at 7:43pm] Err I wrote this an clicked post about an hour ago whats going on?

If you like to get the Cup over 4k revs every now and again, dont expect 10k+ miles out of a set of tyres. Mine had done 6k and were down to the wear bars.

Clio 197

Im on my third set of fronts, second set of discs, probably my sixth set of front pads, and I do tend to push the car a bit. Ive 21.000km on the clock and the rears are the originals. They are wearing very evenly. But they are wearing nevertheless.

I dont think that there should be any strange wear on rear tyres on a normally driven Cup or 172. I have to switch my left front over to the right as it wears out first on the outside edge, but I have never rotated the rears.

I dont have a problem with mileage out of the tyres as i only get about 8K out of the fronts, it was just the large discrepency on the rears, the right rear is wearing nice and evenly across the whole tyre, the left rear has around 2mm wear difference between inside and outside edges. So Im working on the principle that if the alignments fine on the right, why isnt OK on the left. Tyre pressures are regularly checked and are OK, shocks seem fine, so it may just be a poor tyre.

As I said previously, I have experienced this on other front drive cars and could be cured by adding shims on the offending axle, but either Renault cant or wont do this!

Thanks for the info

Clio 197

The shims you mention are listed in the Renaultsport Catalogue

Part numbers 77 11 129 369, ...370, ...377, ...371

Thanks for the info Eddd, is this catalogue freely available from Renault dealers? I would like to be able to show the dealer the information and tell them to get it sorted as the car is still under warranty

Quote: Originally posted by S3DBW on 17 June 2004

Noticed that the left rear tyre was wearing significantly faster on the outside edge so took it to the dealer to ask if they could check alignment. Answer, "Its a Cup model and the manufacturers tolerance is for up to 2mm uneven wear across the tyre"

This sounds like a complete load of bo***ks to me, and its going to mean a new tyre quite shortly as the outside edge will be bald. While there is no direct adjustment on the rear wheels, previous front wheel drive cars that I have owned where this has been a problem, the dealer has fixed by adding shims.

Is this just the dealer being lazy and awkward or is there a genuine reason why they cant sort this out?
1 answer....the majority of corners + roundabout in the UK go clockwise.

Your wearing unevenly because there is a lack of -camber on the rear axle.

Clio 197

The catalogue is the Alpine/Renaultsport one from Dieppe, but those part numbers will prove that you know what you are talking about. They are tapered and can be used to adjust both camber and toe as needed.

Im sure that they can find the needed information if you give them the part numbers.

By the way, I had a look at my rears today and they are wearing pretty evenly at 21,000km, with a good bit left despite having gone through 3 sets of fronts.

[Edited by Eddd on 18 June 2004 at 9:09pm]

Quote: Originally posted by BenR on 18 June 2004

Quote: Originally posted by S3DBW on 17 June 2004

1 answer....the majority of corners + roundabout in the UK go clockwise.

Your wearing unevenly because there is a lack of -camber on the rear axle.

exactly the NSR outer edge is the point that first of all travels the furthest distance out of the two rears and its also the part that gets loaded up most in terms of weight transfer when cornering. i have a habit of balancing my car on the throttle/opposite lock on roundabouts and ben will vouch for the drastic difference in wear between my rear tyres as a result :oops:

X 200+ cup, now focus RS

thats nothin, done 3k in mine and and my fronts are shot on the inside edge, hey f*ck it i had a good time.

3 Series xdrive

all clios seem to suffer from this, yet another shoddy f*ckup from those half wits at renault im on my 3rd Clio and probably my last, all three have had this tyre problem....

When are the french gonna start building "quality" cars????

the words cheap,tacky,rattly come to mind,but you cant really complain when your gettin 182bhp for £12000 even tho the power isnt delivered in the best possible way they should take a leaf out of peugeots book and have a good look at the performance from the 106gti only a 120bhp 1.6 but every bit a fast if not faster than the 182 (0 to 100mph anyway)

My fronts wear down pretty unevenly, got sick and tired of having the tracking done, as long as the steering wheels straight, Im happy!

Quote: Originally posted by S3DBW on 19 June 2004

Thanks Eddd, useful info, I will have another go at the dealer

regards
Those shims arent easily available......RenaultSport are b******s and hard to get hold of for a decent period of time.

Its easier to go to your local cliocup race team and get the shims through them.

E55, KitCar & '85 Quattro

wen i get to 5000miles on my car im going to swop the wheels round- put the fronts on the back and the backs on the front to even out the overall tyre wear.