ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Tyre wear pattern/overheating rears, setup advice.

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
Good morning,

Had a track day at Oulton last Thursday, first dry track day I've had and it was brilliant!

Car felt great, but I noticed that after a couple of hard laps the rear started to get a bit loose/floaty.

They are old budget tyres (2016 Federal 595 RSR), car is running cup dampers with grams springs, PMS solid top mounts front, 20mm spacers front and PMS stub axle spacers in the rear. Also got a whiteline rear ARB set to hard.

Checked the tyres and the front seem to be wearing quite evenly, but the rears looked to overheat (?) on the inside.

Since fitting the stub axle spacers the rear camber is just over 2.

Worth bringing this back to 1.5 with shims or is this driving style related?

Fronts
20210708_160553.jpg
20210708_160537.jpg

Rears
20210708_160450.jpg
20210708_160441.jpg

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
Thanks guys, good to know it's fairly normal looking. Just wanted to check as I have no experience with these things.

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
Doesn't look too bad, rsr's aren't amazing tyres anyway, few laps and you'll find them dying off

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
What were the pressures doing ?

I tried keeping them around 30 psi hot for the front, 29 for the rear.

Doesn't look too bad, rsr's aren't amazing tyres anyway, few laps and you'll find them dying off

I have read that before, exactly my experience. Just like the shoulder wear on the front altough that might be due not running a lot of negative camber on the front (1 degree iirc).

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I run 30 hot in the front and 40 hot in the rear.
(My car weighs f**k all though?)

But my tyres wear the same way as yours, albeit I have MRF’s.

As Kyle said, just rotate them to get your money’s worth.

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
@Daniel I've never heard of anyone ever running such high pressures on the rear axle is all, sounds absolutely terrifying, especially with zero weight over them that's van with 500+kg in the back pressures

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
@Daniel I've never heard of anyone ever running such high pressures on the rear axle is all, sounds absolutely terrifying, especially with zero weight over them that's van with 500+kg in the back pressures
If Josh Cook was ok with 50+ in his rear tyres in his 182 on track, 40 is good enough for me. 😂

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Just looks like rubber pickup to me on the rears. It usually pings off into the arches with a few road miles

Reactions: MLB

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
Interesting to read about tyre pressures on the rears. Might need to play a bit more with them next time.

And most of the rubber deposits did fly off driving back home so maybe it was just due to the tyres themselves rather than external factors.

Be interesting to try something else after these, would something like Zestino Gredge 07RS or Giti GTR2 be a step up (still being budget tyres) or best to go for something like AR1s or R888Rs?

-Jamie-

ClioSport Club Member
Depends what your wanting? The budget tyres don't compare to the proper stuff like 03Gs/A052s but if it's just value for money then they are hard to look past

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
Depends what your wanting? The budget tyres don't compare to the proper stuff like 03Gs/A052s but if it's just value for money then they are hard to look past

Sorry, missed this one! I'm not experienced at all, but I did find that the RSRs were going off quite quickly even without feeling like I was pushing myself to the limit so a step up would be what I'm after.

Seems the price of budgets is around £85 per corner where the 03Gs seem to be £160? I'd probably like to try something in between in the price spectrum if that's available or just go for the proper stuff and not drive them in the road.

I'd recommend softs on the rear Toyo 888 soft or yoko 48's soft compound. Medium compound on the front softs on rear work well on front wheel drive 👍

That's interesting, hadn't thought of that, but prefer to be able to swap front to back to get te most wear out of a set!

Eddie555

ClioSport Club Member
  Q7 2018 & 172 Cup.
Sorry, missed this one! I'm not experienced at all, but I did find that the RSRs were going off quite quickly even without feeling like I was pushing myself to the limit so a step up would be what I'm after.

Seems the price of budgets is around £85 per corner where the 03Gs seem to be £160? I'd probably like to try something in between in the price spectrum if that's available or just go for the proper stuff and not drive them in the road.

That's interesting, hadn't thought of that, but prefer to be able to swap front to back to get te most wear out of a set!
If you want to go for an inbetween then Nankang AR1 is your best option. Around £95 a corner. Personally i find them better than R888r.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

As above those tyres look fine!

I think there must be as many different opinions and experiences of track tyres as there are track cars and race track combinations!

Personally I have found the car work best for me if the rears are higher pressure, harder compound or stiffer dampers, and the fronts are softer.
So completely the opposite to a previous post, but both could be right for the car, track and driver combo.
My experience is mainly at a tight track with an abrasive surface. The rears are a bit too skippy for the first couple of laps but then they heat up to a point where they have some bite, but still allows the car to rotate into the corners.
This has worked out quite well as I can use crappy old hard tyres on the rear, and adjust the dampers and pressures accordingly.
I've got some of my best lap times with Federal 595s that look worse than yours, and newish AR-1s on the front.
It is always the fronts that give up grip first as the day goes on.

With regard to 40psi at the rear there are 3 Saxos I race with that run 40psi at the rear. They are about as heavy as a bag of crisps but go really well!
It's all so confusing!:confused:

Rears look fine, the inner wear on the fronts looks toe out related or under inflated tyres, or a mixture of both. Not enough camber to cause that much wear really.

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
Thanks guys, most of it has worn off after about 200 miles on the motorway as was suggested.

@JB21 geo setup does need a bit of work, but that's doe the future, works well enough but ideally I'd like camber/caster adjustment and sort the rear out with shims.

Need to decide on what spring rate coilovers to get, but I'd like to see/feel some other cars with (preferably bc racing/ast) coilovers first.

ripp

ClioSport Club Member
  182 FFAT
Hi guys,

Recently installed my Bilstein B14 kit which I'm so so pleased about, did a trackday couple of days ago and really liked how the car behaved.
I currently run Nankangs NS2R's in 205/45 16 size and was wondering if going next level on the tyres - AR1's, R888's and the likes- would be too much for the billies? (creating too much body roll maybe?)
Anyone running softer tyres with b14's to share some thoughts?
Thx!

Hi guys,

Recently installed my Bilstein B14 kit which I'm so so pleased about, did a trackday couple of days ago and really liked how the car behaved.
I currently run Nankangs NS2R's in 205/45 16 size and was wondering if going next level on the tyres - AR1's, R888's and the likes- would be too much for the billies? (creating too much body roll maybe?)
Anyone running softer tyres with b14's to share some thoughts?
Thx!
You'll be fine running grippier tyres on B14's. I ran them on my old Octavia VRS and they were fine.

Clio 197,with megan'
I do not know what my tyres pressures are on track. My son comes over, Pumps/deflates the tyres, whatever,( As the grandchildren say!.) mumbles something, and out I go.