ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

CUP vs Elise

Ah ha, not so fast after all !

Pulled away at the lights on motorway slip road on a corner, held him in 1st. Changed to second and he was very slowly pulling ahead, Blast ! rev limiter hits early as engine has only been running 5 mins max and now his tail lights are level with my headlights. 3rd gear and the distance remains the same up to 85. Slip it into 4th and hold speed as traffic is in the way. See the cars ahead pull across (now both doing 70). Down to 3rd and right up his arse all the way to 105 and no probs.

So the concluding fact seems to be that the difference between a cold Cup and an Elise is not just 5.8 secs against 6.5 secs, but more accurately the lenght of 1 Elise !

Next time I see him lets hope the engine is warmed up.

320d M Sport

i can believe it! Last year i had an elise twice! Both times from 30 to around 100, werent that quick, in fact id say the VR6 i raced was faster

S2000

Swelch the limiter is a huge factor to consider when taking a pop at someone. I raced my mate in his chipped Cupra when i had only had the car running for ten mins or so, he pulled away steadily, I knew it would happen and warned him as much. About 10 mins later I said we should go again, this time dead level. I know you cant always choose yer blasts like that but its always something to consider!

well, you do have 172bhp, and he has only got 120bhp, so....you do have an advantage, but to say youll beat it on a track, using the same driver, they will ultimately be much faster.

They my be 120BHP but power to weight ratio they out strip even the CUP hence they are supposed to get to 60 in 5.8 secs.

I recon they have done their best by 60 or 70 anyway. anyone know the 0 - 100 figure for one I recon it must be less than the 16.7 secs for the CUP.

I have owned a statndard Elise and its no quicker than my Cup, maybe a fraction off the line as it has more grip but after that i think a Cup would be slightly quicker. I have driven both on track and for most drivers the Cup would be both quicker and more fun. Maybe with an expert driver the Elise would lap a bit quicker but for the average pilot i think the Cup would win.

Scott

Ull pull away from the elise once he tops out above 115/120 - had my cup at 142 the other day - scary! Their aceleration times are slightly quicker coz they weigh f%*k all.

Hmm. I have to disagree there. At brands i have done a 58 seconds lap in the cup, i havent timed myself in an elise round there but a friends modified morgan can get there in 54 seconds so i would expect the elise to do it in 50 seconds.

Think about it, the elise is mid engined, RWD light and has a low centre of gravity, the PERFECT set up. The speed you can get round corners on elises is awesome, dont get me wrong i love the 172s but its no match for an elise. I question how much you pushed your elise.

I raced an Elise a couple of years ago down by Bluwater shopping centre - Its all dual carriageways with a couple of roundabouts in between - I went flying past him on the outside lane and he moved out and floored it aswell - We covered about 3 miles and at no stage did he overtake me - to be fair, he was up my arse a couple of times (namely just as we got past the roundabouts) and he probably had to ease off a bit but when your doing 120mph in a 60 zone and theres a roundabout about 1/2 mile ahead I was pulling about 60-100 yards infront of him. We got to bluewater carpark and he flashed me and turned off - I like it when people you race acknowledge you for a bit of a laugh!

THE BOZ

Clio v6

I left an Elise for dead in my 172 but it was the straight line stuff. It was a joy to stay back and see just how easily he sweeped through the corners. While I was wibbly wobbling behind.

I kept up with the standard elises around Donington last weekend. The Exige is a different chapter. The technique there is to just pull over to the right and let them pass!:) Also found there wasnt that much in it bw a Boxster S. And a race driver in a Racing Integra R said he was surprised that there was hardly anything in it in a straight line. He wondered if the Cup was "turbocharged"!! And funnily enough, so did the instructor when my wife drove around! He said it was the fastest Clio hed ever been in. So, we are chuffed!