ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cup vs Trophy

X-172 Cup
selling my bike :(
View attachment 4178

I won't bore you with the details but this means I'll have my lovely Cup + close to 5 grand...

I've been thinking about buying a Trophy...is this a wise choice?

I love the Cup so much and want something a little more exclusive/rare/better finished and with proper decent standard suspenders...also something that won't depreciate as much as a standard Cliosport.

Is there anyone out there who has gone from a Cup to a Trophy or driven both???

Last edited:
I'd get Leda suspension I'm not convinved on the trophy stuff (that should start some owners off).
The Mrs didn't get to you did she?
I'd get a 182 full fat with Ledas as I like ABS even on track on my day to day car the Williams I don't mind as much.
You don't want to buy the William do you its rare enough only 400 or so Williams 2 ever made.
Focus RS would be possible the better car but thats a bit popular what about an Elise?

X-172 Cup
edde said:
I'd get Leda suspension I'm not convinved on the trophy stuff (that should start some owners off).
The Mrs didn't get to you did she?
I'd get a 182 full fat with Ledas as I like ABS even on track on my day to day car the Williams I don't mind as much.
You don't want to buy the William do you its rare enough only 400 or so Williams 2 ever made.
Focus RS would be possible the better car but thats a bit popular what about an Elise?

Mrs has seen the new road safety add...(see seperate thread)
TBH it's hard to justify having a bike this year due to the limited amount of time I will actually get to ride one, put it this way I have had the bike for 3 weeks with every intention of running it in ASAP- I worked out that I won't be able to get a couple of hundred miles on it till after our holiday so that's Mid May!!!...no doubt I'll miss the bike but I reckon if I was lucky I'd get 1000 miles in this year and probably lose a grand in depreciation...so the bikes gotta go - :( gutted TBH but it's the right thing to do...

Your Williams sounds good - read the thread yesterday but I'm proper tempted by the Trophy...I'll see what the others say and also how the bike sale goes...

adtmits, me and you have a scary and expensive addiction m8 LOL...
I reckon I need to test drive a Trophy- any for sale in our area @ a dealer???

Ad

MK2 FRS
not that i know of.... although i have contact at AC so will ask wot they have in stock mate.

Yeh certainly is expensive and scary..... hooked on my latest one bigtime... lol

cock mobile.
Keep the cup, maybe spend some cash on suspension, maybe a trip to GDI.

I wouldn't blow 5k on it though, you won't get it back, I'd like some decking etc for the back garden myself, amongst other things :)

X-172 Cup
good point, I think the Mrs wants me to keep the money I get from the bike 'for a rainy day'....she has a point too, there are redundancies @ where we work due to a big takeover, whilst our jobs are safe there's rumours abound about a reduction in our bonuses and other nasty stuff...

I'm just bloody rubbish @ saving that's all...

Lux'd Glacier White R26
Trophy is a wise choice. It wont depreciate as its a limited run, but can you really cost justify the extra money, just for a "limited editioned" car, and the better suspension? I can't...

Tyson.

106 GTi
I would be tempted to stick some coilovers on and some decent seats in the 172 and bank the rest of the money. Trophys are lovely though.

A4 Avant
I haven't owned or drove a Cup so I can't comment on the upgrade situation, but I do know the Trophy is one of the best cars I have driven! When parked it looks quite mean without looking kev-ish. The seats are too die for!
clio__park_1_133.jpg
http://cliotrophy.co.uk/forum/files/clio__park_1_133.jpg

RenaultSport clio Trophy
Trophy = wow nuff said.

Seriously tho, the suspension is just plain funny, power is holy, interior lacks plush touch :dead:.
Have driven my mates 172 and the trophy just feels more modern + had all the toys.

Im sooooooo happy.
Not so happy about the cost but as said above, it should retain some of its value.
Plus all the car mags etc rave about it so its got to be good.

Clio 172 mk2
Trophy is definately the one to go for...would love one myself but just can't afford it at the moment so am going to have to make do with the 172 with some suspension upgrades.

renault trophy 182
i just bought a trophy for £11000 with 6000 miles,was goin for the cup but droped on to the trophy due to the fact its limitedand itl hold its value

renault trophy 182
stokecitypottermouse said:
selling my bike :(
View attachment 4178

I won't bore you with the details but this means I'll have my lovely Cup + close to 5 grand...

I've been thinking about buying a Trophy...is this a wise choice?

I love the Cup so much and want something a little more exclusive/rare/better finished and with proper decent standard suspenders...also something that won't depreciate as much as a standard Cliosport.

Is there anyone out there who has gone from a Cup to a Trophy or driven both???
just bought trophy for £11000 with 6000 miles fort bout buying the cup but the trophy should hold its value abit more bein a limited version

Renaultsport Clio 182
As nice as the Trophy is, I say get some meaty suspension for your Cup, some nice seats (Recaro's out of the Trophy?), and maybe a decent exhaust and air filter etc. Like I say, the Trophy is VERY nice, though it just doesn't make financial sense selling a Cup for one in my opinion.

X-172 Cup
thanks for the advice people...TBH I think I'd be happy with just some decent seats, I can't fault the handling or the performace....mmm yes some nice Recaros would go down a treat...

Any one else got a Cup agree with me that the seats are a bit cack?? rest of the car is superb though ;)

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
karl trophy said:
just bought trophy for £11000 with 6000 miles fort bout buying the cup but the trophy should hold its value abit more bein a limited version

Correct me if i'm wrong . Wasn't the Trophy £15,500 new ??

Its only a few months old , limited edition and its depreciated by £4,500 .

Dosen't seem to be holding its value very much to me . All cars loose sh*t loads in the first 4 - 5 years .

MrBillyUK !

MRBILLYUK said:
Correct me if i'm wrong . Wasn't the Trophy £15,500 new ??

Its only a few months old , limited edition and its depreciated by £4,500 .

Dosen't seem to be holding its value very much to me . All cars loose sh*t loads in the first 4 - 5 years .

MrBillyUK !

Most people paid under £13k brand new.

And yes I'd agree that the Cup seats are pretty cack, still love it to bits though!

ukaskew said:
Most people paid under £13k brand new.

And yes I'd agree that the Cup seats are pretty cack, still love it to bits though!

well said there:quiet: .................:clap: cup better value for money . i paid 11k brand new for mine , few months later .....10k on the forecourt ?:(

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
How come so many people sell their Trophys so soon after they came out .

Always baffled me this one . If i had one i'd keep it for a couple of years :)

MrBillyUK !

MRBILLYUK said:
How come so many people sell their Trophys so soon after they came out .

Always baffled me this one . If i had one i'd keep it for a couple of years :)

MrBillyUK !

had me cup...........nearly 2 yrs , still lovin it :race:

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
kullycliosport said:
had me cup...........nearly 2 yrs , still lovin it :race:

I'm on my second rs , got bored of the full fat 172 , got myself a new full fat 182 with cup packs , got my enthusiasm back ;)

Just like when i drove one for the first time !

MrBillyUK !

RenaultSport Clio 172 CUP
i wud do it for a trophy! :p they look hot! or maybe its just the seats.. cud just buy em but they r ££££££££3 aint they?

I have a trophy, and have had 3 other rs clio's too. the points people make about the mods to the suspension and exhaust etc will make the cup extremely close to the trophy in terms of handling - but i beleive the ride would be too crashy - the trophy handling is amazing but still retains driveability - it acheives this with a thicker damper shaft as well other tweeks - so it is more of a natural feel rather than slammed with bone shaking suspension. Plus at the end of the day the value of the cup may be worth LESS with the mods as a lot of enthusiasts like standard examples. Plus it will always be a modded cup ( nothing wrong with that - Just being straight so no offense or smugness intended) The trophy will depreciate initially from new, but its in 2 or 3 years time when you will benefit from the residual strength.

ultimatley it not up to you its up to the girlfriend ;)

RenaultSport Clio 172 Cup
is the trophy much quicker round a track? or is the appeal purely that it is new and relatively 'exclusive'? the rareness defo makes it special in my book

and yes i totally agree, the interior in the 172 cup is a bit rubbish, people who don't know much about cars think i have downgraded from my last car when they get in....

if i had the £1200 lying around to buy the seats out of the trophy, i definately would.

Last edited:
  X-172 Cup
Interesting points raised here thanks, here's what I will take from this:

If you have a Cup - keep it standard, they are foogin' brilliant except for a slightly pap interior which you can blag off using the following:

'such was the emphasis of weight saving on the designers and engineers minds that the interior of the Cup is made of specially designed lightweight fabric so as to keep the dry weight of the car down as much as possible, you will also note there is no spare wheel, ABS or traction control and drivers breathe a spell low density air...' lol ;)

If you have a Trophy - hold on to it for a few years, in theory it should become collectable.

My decision has been made, I love my Cup, will keep it standard, I cannot justify spending another 5k on the same car which has better suspenders and seats but is not as raw as the Cup. Thank you all

View attachment 4214View attachment 4217View attachment 4218View attachment 4219

Last edited:
  X-172 Cup
visa_king said:
is the trophy much quicker round a track? or is the appeal purely that it is new and relatively 'exclusive'? the rareness defo makes it special in my book

and yes i totally agree, the interior in the 172 cup is a bit rubbish, people who don't know much about cars think i have downgraded from my last car when they get in....

if i had the £1200 lying around to buy the seats out of the trophy, i definately would.

'Is the Trophy much quicker round a track' View attachment 4215 lol

I won't go there suffice to say that the Cup is slightly quicker and the Trophy has slightly better handling - I refuse to be drawn on this lol so the diplomatic answer is 'it depends on the driver'

I think I can safely say though that the Cup is better value for money but you lose the nice seats etc as previously mentioned.

May Cup & Trophy drivers of the world unite! ;)

Last edited:
  Trophy No. 440
Hey pottermouse,

What is that number in the bottom right of your pictures? Are you really from the year 2047? Are you the Doctor? :D

renault trophy 182
the bloke that sold it p/x'd it so he got bottom price for it i took it to a car forcourt n they offered me 13,000 for me trophy could of made 2 grand profit but the trophys to nice to sell.

RR results etc would suggest that standard Cups have more power than Trophy's (amazed me as obviously its 172 v 182), that and the lower weight would suggest that a Cup is currently quicker. I would put this down 100% to the fact that most Cups have at least 15-50k on them, where as most Trophy's are still well under 10k. All down to the mileage I think, nearly everyone says that the Clio's get better with age.

X-172 Cup
TrophyBoy said:
Hey pottermouse,

What is that number in the bottom right of your pictures? Are you really from the year 2047? Are you the Doctor? :D

Doh! will sort the date on the camera...be nice if it still looks like that in 2047 :cool:

X-172 Cup
all good mate, gave it a clean today - been debating zausts, interior, induction kits but I've decided to keep it standard....how long till you get yours back now...