ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Currently removing my gearbox - tips please

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
@Dan@SJM

I apologise also BTW. Removed a box from my 182 last night subframe down on one side. Came out so much quicker than out the top. Putting it back in, i might have a bit more fun on the deck tbh.

We've all been saying for years it's more pleasant coming out the bottom :)

330i. E30 Touring.
With the right tools, it is for sure.

With short axle stands, hand tools only and a regular trolley jack rather than a big b*****d like i have now, i'd still go out the top. lol.

Having lots and lots of fun.

This is not normal is it for the splines on this driveshaft to all be worn away ? Only 1cm left on the inside ...
9e13fc2196bbf0e3e21b6ea6e702bcb9.jpg

If someone could answer this for me quickly I'd appreciate it, considering getting the box back on with a few bolts now rather than just packing up as its off.

The release bearing has a tiny plastic big broken off, does this matter ? I can't think it would it's so flimsy and useless ( release bearing was changed with clutch not ages ago so is new )

b95ed875dde7635fdf59ff8587742586.jpg

On the right

Ok ill see if I can find one to pick up in store, have everything else lined up bar the drive shaft, trying to find information on the sleeve. I'd imagine it would have to be pressed in otherwise it would just spin surely?

Swapped all the parts over to the refurbished gearbox, i.e. linkage boot, tdc sensor, mount... hopefully can get it on tomorrow evening. Everything is taking so much longer as its my first time.

I bought a service exchange drive shaft for my 182 cup from Renault last year for £123.58 + vat 8201187820.
It came with the sleeve firmly attached to the drive shaft.
When I removed the old drive shaft it just came away from the gearbox splines with a bit of help from a pry bar.
All the splines were like new because they had used copper grease on them from the factory.
So yours can only be held on buy rust, I would try it in a vice or get some mole grips inside it, you cant use heat because you will damage the oil seal.
If you get stuck then I would grind down the side of it then split it open with a hammer a chisel.
But I thought your scraping this gear box in which case I would leave it.

I kind of get what your saying
The sleeve just sits in the shaft? is that right. I can try and remove the old damaged shaft with mole grips?

And the new sleeve can be tapped into place with a hammer into the shaft?

The old gearbox will be sold on for someone else to refurbish it - but im lost with what that has to do with the drive shaft?

Cheers.

A little tip, when i put the box back on i use an elastic band to hold the bearing/fork in place.

You have removed the rack from the subframe and then lowered the subframe? just trying to understand how you've done it!

Hi midge, where does the elastic band go? sounds silly but I cant figure that one out. (like most things in this thread!)

I removed the rack bolts at the back of the subframe, tied the rack to the exhaust mani and a few other places, and lowered the subframe off. Ill post up all my stuff once im finished in my project thread (if i ever finish aha)

Im hoping I can wrestle the box into place tomorrow with a bit of grease on the end of the shaft. Dont really want to be going for attempt 2 or 3 on my own but I can see it happening.

elastic band round the gearbox shaft and the fork/bearing, stops it falling off when your trying to put the gearbox on (the band can stay in there, its never going to win a fight with the flywheel)

Ah I see, cheers I will try that If I have trouble. Hoping to get the box back on tomorrow eve after work. Have powerflex rack bushes to go on. Then a new gen sump gasket / oil filter and oil to be fitted. Slightly out of my depth but ill figure it out.

Any tips for fitting gearbox. I was thinking lower engine slightly. Is currently jacked up on sump - will put a bit of grease on the splines. Hopefully it will meet up first time and then I can crack on with putting it back together and then tackle the sump.

fd0d55159f761ed1e53f9a4ee32f7ab4.jpg

Sweet sounds like it will be alright then luckily got 2 jacks.

Just need to sort this drive shaft sleeve issue out - if I can't do it in a vice at home it's 2nd hand shaft time if I can find one.

I kind of get what your saying
The sleeve just sits in the shaft? is that right. I can try and remove the old damaged shaft with mole grips?

And the new sleeve can be tapped into place with a hammer into the shaft?

The old gearbox will be sold on for someone else to refurbish it - but im lost with what that has to do with the drive shaft?

Cheers.
I thought the sleeve was stuck on the gearbox not the driveshaft couldn't really tell from the picture.
Now I know stuck on the shaft the best thing to do is let wd40 or penetrating oil soak into the splines then put in in the vice and hit the sleeve with a chisel.
Clean the splines then tap the new sleeve on with a hammer / wood block.

I thought the sleeve was stuck on the gearbox not the driveshaft couldn't really tell from the picture.
Now I know stuck on the shaft the best thing to do is let wd40 or penetrating oil soak into the splines then put in in the vice and hit the sleeve with a chisel.
Clean the splines then tap the new sleeve on with a hammer / wood block.

Thanks for the reply.

The whole driveshaft came away from the gearbox but the outer splines where slightly stuck into the brake disc end of the when bearing thats why I didn't look at it before removing gearbox. Eventually I un-did the drivers suspension strut and took the thing out whole which is when the dust fell out and I realized the problem.

The sleeve you linked earlier will fit a 182 gearbox fine?

So the sleeve just simply sits into the drive shaft with tightness? it may sound silly but how comes the sleeve doesn't just spin itself ? is it fixed in somehow? ill have a look at the drive shaft tomorrow after work, didnt have time today.

Thanks.

Sorry I see now - the sleeve you've linked is the adapter that slides on the end? the bulky part? and whats stripped on my driveshaft is the adapter - I guess.
I've ordered it anyway in the hope I can tap the old one out and slide the new one on.

_12_zpsvwcctvvk.jpg

Thanks for the reply.

The whole driveshaft came away from the gearbox but the outer splines where slightly stuck into the brake disc end of the when bearing thats why I didn't look at it before removing gearbox. Eventually I un-did the drivers suspension strut and took the thing out whole which is when the dust fell out and I realized the problem.

The sleeve you linked earlier will fit a 182 gearbox fine?

So the sleeve just simply sits into the drive shaft with tightness? it may sound silly but how comes the sleeve doesn't just spin itself ? is it fixed in somehow? ill have a look at the drive shaft tomorrow after work, didnt have time today.

Thanks.
There are splines on the drive shaft and inside the sleeve that's what stops it from spinning just like the gearbox side hence my confusion.
The best way to get the drive shaft out the hubs is to hit the centre with a pointed chisel and big hammer.
and like you say the sleeve just simply sits into the drive shaft with tightness.
The sleeve I linked earlier will fit a 182 gearbox fine.

Gearbox is back in - hopefully it's all fine - will get the sump gasket changed tomorrow then get the subframe back on and all the extras bolted up - last thing will be the driveshaft sleeve that's arriving on Monday.

Will get that on and hopefully the car will all be sweet ! Been a learning curve, really struggled getting the box back on but I got there eventually.

Spent an hour heating the driveshaft sleeve up and trying to whack it off. Eventually cut it off !

Cheers everyone - and flebay

e1d7292a90220654ba79d8f319cc3011.jpg

Im absolutely gutted - Changed the gearbox, change the sleeve on the drive shaft

Had 1st and reverse - as far as I can tell both drive shafts are now fine. but after initial movement of 2 feet I had exactly the same slipping whirring noise.

Im now wondering if the clutch is at fault. I had drive this is what I cant understand.

Could it be engine related? engine tick over sounds fine.

But the main thing is I have exactly the same ticking tapping sound with the clutch up I had before. I didn't change the release bearing - its new and felt fine when I tested it, it had one broken installation tab on it but I googled over and over and everyone said they where purely for install purposes and always snap off.

f**k sake, hopefully its still something that can be solved.

Clearly that adapter sleeve on the drive shaft was knackered. The noise in the video below sounded like that sleeve had lost its teeth and was just spinning so I was so sure in my head that it would have been solved along with the gearbox swap being done for peace of mind.

Instead I have exactly the same tapping noise with the clutch up and now no drive again.

This is what it sounded like when I broke down, and it sounds exactly the same now with the refurbished gear box in and the new drive shaft sleeve :fearful:

RS RIP
Your pressure plate/clutch is what you should have also been looking at, i think..
Logical thinking when listening to your vid.

I didnt take the clutch off as it was only changed several months ago, I wouldn't have known what to look for anyway really.

The only thing I did was feel for any play on the clutch splines and I didnt feel any ... not that that is the propper way to check but I guess the only way to be sure would be to take it off completely.

dan's cast offs.
as long as your shafts are ok then it's gearbox back off time, at least this time you should do it an hour or so quicker than last time:wink:

was the clutch swapped when you had the car?

Ill have to check the shafts tomorrow eve, clutch was replaced for a gen valeo kit last time the gearbox was changed. cant understand why it would have failed so soon.

Original box had a diff whine, bought a second hand box off ebay, that was fitted with a new valeo clutch, thought the noise once fitted (tappy) was the ebay box but it wasnt as even with the newly refurbished box its still making the same noise.

No drive came later (last week or two) so I guess its a failed clutch or something else, definitely not the box I would say, will check drive shafts. Think its a faulty clutch sadly.

I wouldnt have thought its a duff, its just been refurbished by agency. Will check drive shafts.

Even if It does get drive Im still not happy as with the clutch up it makes exactly the same noise as before, ticky tappy - loud etc.

I would think its the clutch or worse.