ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Currently removing my gearbox - tips please

dan's cast offs.
clutch is worst it could be really. at least you don't have to pull the box all the way out to do the clutch.

Yeah thats what I was thinking tbh, I was trying to get it all done to get back on the road, I dont have access to another car due to insurance, but I will pay to get insured on my mums car now to save bother. Ill have a think and go from there.

Sounds like clutch related to me but Ill have a look tomorrow, cheers for your help.

Ok thanks flebay- when I re attached the clutch pedal I remember a ratcheting noise with no clutch first time, second it seemed to adjust itself and I had a gear so I will try and adjust it but the noise is exactly the same when I broke down I think and the clutch hadn't been touched before.

I will try though thanks

Found the problem, obviously I replaced the inner sleeve on the drivers drive shaft, well of course I tried that in good faith, I can now see the drivers shaft spinning but no drive at that wheel. So hopefully a new drive shaft will fix this.

What's the deal with renault - if I remove the shaft is there an exchange service I've heard of ?

I still have the chirp with the clutch up but I will address that when the drive issue is solved, possibly cable or ratchet mech on the pedal - or most likely release bearing which will be my fault for not replacing - we will see.

The service exchange is a used driveshaft rebuilt buy the original manufacturer to save money and the environment.
Renault will charge you £10 + vat if you don't give them your old shaft when you buy the service exchange. 8201187820
There is also the new option that's around twice the price.

Thanks Flebay, It was only until my grandad was about today that I could have him try the gears whilst I looked underneath to see.

Only £10 plus vat? might keep my original then as a spare and see what failed on it.

Do you know the price for the drivers side please? and whats the new option?

Thanks.

2003 Clio 172
Great thread, sorry to see you are having to do it all again.
Honest take....how bad is getting the gearbox out the arch? How many hours did it take you bud?

AJ

Great thread, sorry to see you are having to do it all again.
Honest take....how bad is getting the gearbox out the arch? How many hours did it take you bud?

AJ

Me and a friend done a box change on mine including new clutch, and we did it in 5.5 hours start to finish, including a couple tea breaks.

That was doing it by dropping the subframe btw.

2003 Clio 172
Hmm, ok.
It would be on my lonesome and I had factored a couple of days alone.
Probably seems about right then.

Sorry to have interrupted your thread Guy

J