ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Custom lettering on radio display??

5, 19, Integrale, Cupra R
Perfect then, i should be able sort you out with a plug module that will display the battery voltage. You'd just have to connect a wire to 12v.

I'm the relative short term all i can offer is static text or battery voltage. Other stuff is a way off yet

172 Phase II
And when is it displayed? Can it be switched between, voltage when radio off and just the normal radio display with the radio on?

Not right now, thats much more complicated. I only said about making the voltage one as i was asked. At the minute if you use the standard display or stalk i can't do anything.

Bare in mind i just started playing with this the other day and i need to pull my radio out and carry my laptop and everything out to the car to work on it so i haven't really spent much time on it.

No, not as it stands but like i said above, i've only just started playing with this.

I assume you have an adapter then?

Does your tiddly finger flick behind your rotating car pointer make your wireless music machine change?

'52 Clio 172 2.0 16v
No, lmao, I got the kit "without the digital display" so it doesn't actually fit my car.

learnt my lesson no to "brief read" things.

172 Phase II
Not right now, thats much more complicated. I only said about making the voltage one as i was asked. At the minute if you use the standard display or stalk i can't do anything.

Bare in mind i just started playing with this the other day and i need to pull my radio out and carry my laptop and everything out to the car to work on it so i haven't really spent much time on it.

Yes, so in the early stages.. That's okay, it's cool that you're doing this. I'll keep an eye on this thread!

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
I started some work on this a while ago (used a ELM327 connected to a PIC12F), got it outputting to an aftermarket lcd screen, but then realised that the idea was pointless. I realised I was better off saving myself the hassle and just used a ELM327 Bluetooth device (about £10) with Torque on my phone. The internal screen can only display limited data due to its char limitation.

I started with an LCD too. I have Torque aswell but thats missing the point of doing it this way. You could argue that having a PC connected is better than Torque!

2012-12-28181256_zpsb79cfe00.jpg

I've managed to read off a few values, I can't get oil temp I don't think.

I'm working reading the stalk commands so you could use them for control but I haven't got anywhere yet.

I have the standard radio so the most important thing for me is to keep that working along side this which is another thing I haven't figured out!

Iirc the stalk works using a matrix of the switches, not over serial. There's a thread on another forum with the schematic.

Would like to hear how your displaying the text etc using an arduino (via PM if you don't want to tell everyone how you've done it)

Iirc the stalk works using a matrix of the switches, not over serial. There's a thread on another forum with the schematic.

Would like to hear how your displaying the text etc using an arduino (via PM if you don't want to tell everyone how you've done it)

I would like to hear as well if you don't mind

Tom

EDIT: Are you using a ELM327 as well?

EDIT again:

Someone has actually written a library for this, and the coding seems pretty simple.

Sourceforge code: http://sourceforge.net/projects/obdcon

Example:

void loop(){
int value;
// read The engine RPM into 'value'
if (obd.ReadSensor(PID_RPM, value)) {
// light on LED on Arduino board when the RPM exceeds 5000
digitalWrite(13, value > 5000 ? HIGH : LOW);
}
}

Last edited:
I'll be posting all the details once i have enough information that i'm sure of.

Any link to the stalk schematic?

r19remote.gif

Colours are colours of wires at connector apparently and this is from a Renault 19 but I dare say it will be similar?

And s5 is the wheel and acts as a rotary encoder.

Ah ok, the clio II ones are different. Thats useful to have if i decide to do anything with my 19

8 main characters and then the smaller one normally used for the station preset number.

There also seems to be the facility for scrolling text but I haven't figured that out yet.

Another video. This is very rough and ready. Some of the values are badly formatted (no decimal point) and some are simply parsed wrong from the ECU and some give useless values (engine load is either 0 or 100%)

Last edited by a moderator:

Tunst

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus ST225, Focus E
No idea how this all works haha, oil temp would be a good one though!

Jack!

ClioSport Club Member
Might be a really stupid question, but is there or will there ever be a way to display track information in scrolling text, rather than track 1, track 2 etc, while retaining the standard headunit? I know you can do it with an Alpine headunit (from research) but I hate aftermarket headunits.

Neither the internal nor charger players pass the title so nope.

This should work on anything with a tuner list head unit. I will probably be looking for guinea pigs to test in the future.

Data logging can be done but it's not something I'll be doing with this. The problem with data logging is that the more you're reading from the ecu the slower your update speeds are. Some of the cheapie ebay readers can only read about 8 times per second. So if you're trying to log all variables you could have a case where you're only updating each variable once every 2 seconds which is useless for things like rpm and throttle position. Even selectively picking the update frequency for different sensors still leaves you with some lag.