ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Custom Turbo Clio 172....

Hello everyone!

Looking to get some info from Clio Sport. Lets see, I am very interested in making a Custom Turbo for my Clio Sport 172 (Not me a professional guy in here:) ),
but i am not looking to get a huge amount of HP from the engine, just to improve it`s performance a little, not more than 4lbs of BOOST, becauce i dont want to change internal engine components. The guy over here tells me that not even an Intercooler is needed. Thoughts??

What do you guys think about this, is it woth it?? If it is, should something else be changed in the car, such as Ecu, or a Remap etc...? By the way, the Megane Sport comes with a Garret Turbo right? Some One knows which one?

I am asking firts in here because i wan to go well informed before gong to speak with the guy, we only spoke by Phone...:)

Thanks all!!

172 ff silver
get a new car if you want a turbo

or do it proper with low comp pistons or different headgasket/metal plate to change compression ratio

still a nightmare and likely to go bang after 10000 miles and need constant seting up servicing

if you want low boost then a super charger may be better but i havn't seen a kit for clios yet

youd be better with the gdi 197 kit as it would be similar power to a low pressure turbo and less hassle

or just say fcuk it and stick a blower on

either way hope this helps ;)

M2 Competition
Would it not be cheaper and easier to put a vag 1.8t engine in? Already turbo'd and lots of tuning potential. Not too hard to fit either.

RS RIP
low boost turbokit for the 172 from Mb Engineering for 2600 pounds mate, reliable one it is.. no internal enginechanges required ! It's running 0,5 bar pressure, exactly what youre looking for !

Do search for lowboost turbo conversion

Last edited:
  R35 GTR
Dont do it unless you can afford to rebuild engine every now and again.

4lbs of boost will feel like bugger all tbh.

172 ff silver
Would it not be cheaper and easier to put a vag 1.8t engine in? Already turbo'd and lots of tuning potential. Not too hard to fit either.

im pretty sure to put this in a clio would be a pretty large feat for anyone other than an automotive engineer

ive no doubt it would go in but im sure you'd have to use the vag 'box (drive shafts would be a mare) then have the exaust joined and fabricate engine mountings

also wiring would be a nightmare if you wanted to use the vag ecu but you could use standalone like emerald omex but it aint gonna be cheap

so imho including buying engine and ancilleries then getting it fitted proper is gonna be £3-4k +

just buy a seat ibiza turbo :)

That low Boost Turbo kit looks nice but still 2600 Pounds is a lot!! :-(

Making it Custom its going to be cheaper... Maybe half of that price..

GDI ???BHP Cliosport172
Good luck to anyone if they can stick a turbo in a 172 for less that £1300!!
More like something from Fisher Price if you ask me!
I know the turbo kits are at least 2.5-3k but its the labour time on top that costs the money.
But by all means if you do manage to spend under £1500 and it works, let me know cos i,ll be right behind you!

M2 Competition

im pretty sure to put this in a clio would be a pretty large feat for anyone other than an automotive engineer

ive no doubt it would go in but im sure you'd have to use the vag 'box (drive shafts would be a mare) then have the exaust joined and fabricate engine mountings

also wiring would be a nightmare if you wanted to use the vag ecu but you could use standalone like emerald omex but it aint gonna be cheap

so imho including buying engine and ancilleries then getting it fitted proper is gonna be £3-4k +

Quite a few people have done it...

172 ff silver

im sure they have mate but i'll bet there mechanics/engineers

or they have spent a small fortune paying someone to do it

GDI ???BHP Cliosport172
Yeah i agree with stinka, i think ur heads up in the clouds if you think it,ll be cheap!!
A guy on here bought a 182turbo for about 10-11k from a private dealer. Ok good deal ur thinkin but it was cheap but it was f*cked! needed ALL new tyres, clutch& gearbox was shot. Not to mention the engine mounts.

Yeah i agree with stinka, i think ur heads up in the clouds if you think it,ll be cheap!!
A guy on here bought a 182turbo for about 10-11k from a private dealer. Ok good deal ur thinkin but it was cheap but it was f*cked! needed ALL new tyres, clutch& gearbox was shot. Not to mention the engine mounts.

Damn that must have been a really bad buy!!! At least it was turbo heheheh.:lolup:

Motorbikes

Wasnt this what MATTBLACK had in his car?

not more than 4lbs of BOOST, becauce i dont want to change internal engine components. The guy over here tells me that not even an Intercooler is needed. Thoughts??

What do you guys think about this, is it woth it?? If it is, should something else be changed in the car, such as Ecu, or a Remap etc...? By the way, the Megane Sport comes with a Garret Turbo right? Some One knows which one?
4PSI isn;'t worth it the 7psi the bolt on kit offers is about the limt you can run on stock fuel and mapping etc and that needs a charger worth getting one for any turbo anyone suggestiong otherwise shouldn't IMo be listened to.

Not worth it its a project and fun more than anyhting.

ECU is fine with a mapping just need the MAP sensor for boost.

Its not that difficult depend on your skills.

Drive shafts are hollow on the VAG and the 172's fit stright into them when cut.

exhaust is just like any other exhaust fabbed up setup.

ECU wiring yep best go stand alone but for power vs £ its the best value of the lot plus more reliable gearbox and the rest of the stuff ie mount.

But by all means if you do manage to spend under £1500 and it works, let me know cos i,ll be right behind you!
It could be done for less than £1.5k (say £500 scrap yard cost wise) depends where you go and what you use etc.

172 ff silver
skoda, vw, audi, seat all use exactly the same parts

only differense is body shells and interiors/trim

172 ff silver
4PSI isn;'t worth it the 7psi the bolt on kit offers is about the limt you can run on stock fuel and mapping etc and that needs a charger worth getting one for any turbo anyone suggestiong otherwise shouldn't IMo be listened to.

Not worth it its a project and fun more than anyhting.

ECU is fine with a mapping just need the MAP sensor for boost.

Its not that difficult depend on your skills.

Drive shafts are hollow on the VAG and the 172's fit stright into them when cut.

exhaust is just like any other exhaust fabbed up setup.

ECU wiring yep best go stand alone but for power vs £ its the best value of the lot plus more reliable gearbox and the rest of the stuff ie mount.

It could be done for less than £1.5k (say £500 scrap yard cost wise) depends where you go and what you use etc.

1.5k ? is that just for parts or fitted inc. ?

RS RIP
That low Boost Turbo kit looks nice but still 2600 Pounds is a lot!! :-(

Making it Custom its going to be cheaper... Maybe half of that price..

also software has to be right. I drove their car and it's lovely. Smoothe as before but when you hit the gas it's fun through the whole RPM range ! And it will stay together just fine when behaving with the gearbox on shifts and hard pulling in first

The box will be the thing to watch out for when you're going to run bigger boost , Warranty on the box is 200NM. A turbo will go over that easily

R35 GTR

sounds like me except the clutch, gearbox and mounts are ok.lol.

Engine is fooked though, just found out.:dapprove:

RS RIP

sounds like me except the clutch, gearbox and mounts are ok.lol.

Engine is fooked though, just found out.:dapprove:

Who told you this ? Have'nt heard this yet. Shed some light mate !?

**edit** i've read about the 182 being bust; it ran high pressure do'nt forget.. this 172 lowboost is as safe as it gets when talking turbo setup..
anyway; there's nobody driving one yet, and i'm going to be saving up for some time, so we have no-one giving feedback and it's alll speculations... Untill the first cars hit the road anyway which wo'nt be too long me thinks ;)

Last edited:
  GDI ???BHP Cliosport172
bb tuning did two 182turbo conversions i think. Blue ans black one i think-check out their website,they had a video of it. It made 270bhp when first mapped :)

GDI ???BHP Cliosport172
Jus seen an advert from bb tuning selling their 172 mk1. mapped to 320bhp- £8995!