ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cylinder Misfiring After Storage

Hi all,
I've had my Clio 182 shut in the garage since last September due to Uni and have just taken it out and put it through its MOT. Since it's come out of storage though it's had the emissions light on constantly (my mechanic had to be a bit creative to get it to pass), and has also developed a misfire particularly when it's cold. When I started it the other night it sounded like death and was kind of throbbing its way along the round for a minute or so until it warmed up.
I ran a diagnostic on it and came up with the codes P0136 (02 Sensor Circuit Bank 1 Sensor 2) and P0302 (Cylinder 2 Misfire). I'm assuming it needs a bit of tlc since it was stood still for so long so am about to give it an oil change and replace the spark plugs.
Has anyone got any ideas how I could find out the cause of the two error codes? From searching on here it seems it could be either the spark plugs, coils, lamba sensor or fuel injectors but how can I actually find the fault rather then just replacing it part by part? Also are there any other things that might be worth doing to look after it a bit where it's been in the garage for a year?

PH2 172
HT leads?Also,is it using any coolant.If you are going to change the plugs,compression check it at the same time.I think unburnt fuel is causing the Lambda reading.

HT leads?Also,is it using any coolant.If you are going to change the plugs,compression check it at the same time.I think unburnt fuel is causing the Lambda reading.

No the coolant is fine I think, how do I check the compression and HT leads? Do you know if there's any guides for removing the fuel injectors too as I have literally no idea where they are under the bonnet!

PH2 172
No the coolant is fine I think, how do I check the compression and HT leads? Do you know if there's any guides for removing the fuel injectors too as I have literally no idea where they are under the bonnet!

You need a compression tester.There are new ones on Ebay for £12.99 posted.Alternatively,with plugs still in the engine,park the car on level ground,put it in 3rd gear,release the handbrake and manually by hand push the car.The resistance should be at regular intervals as the pistons come up to Top Dead Centre on the compression stroke.If one is an easy push,that cylinder is down on compression.
I would change the HT leads on a 10 year old car as a matter of course,Europarts do a set for £17.95 if you buy them on Ebay,but pick them up from your local depot.You may as well get the PFR6E-10 plugs the same way.PLug gap should be 1mm.
The injectors are under the cover at the front of the engine,you could swop no2 with another cylinder and see if the fault changes cylinder.Be carefull not to break the fuel rail.There is no pressure regulator fitted if you wonder what the hole at the end of the fuel rail is.
It wold be good practise to replace the upper inlet manifold gaskets and seal.

First thought was a faulty injector, I kept mine off the road last year four just a few months and when I started it again it had exactly the same as you described and it turned out to be that.

Search how to diagnose single cylinder missfires on here. I've guided a few through it, as have many others - it could be one of a few things and with a bet of patience you can get an idea of what it might be. I've had to put a new O2 on as well recently, as well as new leads, but each time it was with very clear fault identification.

As a word of caution, I woud'nt trust fault codes for diagnosing a faulty component. Also, I would dissagree with buying cheapo leads "as a mtter of course". The renault ones are a high quality and although I've had mine replaced at 100k, due to number 4 breaking down very slighty, I wouldn't replace them with something generic from ecp - for eg they don't seem to differentiate 172 from 182 in OE design. Go for new Renault (beru)

Last edited:
  182FF
Mine was off the road for a month and 1 injector died. I did get injector fault code to go with it.

I suggest clearing code, swapping injector round (2 and 4 or whatever) and seeing if code follows.

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
Code won't show until it's very bad. Mine had to sound like a tractor before anything was picked up.

Intermittent flashing eml is first signs.

PH2 172
Hi all,
I've had my Clio 182 shut in the garage since last September due to Uni and have just taken it out and put it through its MOT. Since it's come out of storage though it's had the emissions light on constantly (my mechanic had to be a bit creative to get it to pass), and has also developed a misfire particularly when it's cold. When I started it the other night it sounded like death and was kind of throbbing its way along the round for a minute or so until it warmed up.
I ran a diagnostic on it and came up with the codes P0136 (02 Sensor Circuit Bank 1 Sensor 2) and P0302 (Cylinder 2 Misfire). I'm assuming it needs a bit of tlc since it was stood still for so long so am about to give it an oil change and replace the spark plugs.
Has anyone got any ideas how I could find out the cause of the two error codes? From searching on here it seems it could be either the spark plugs, coils, lamba sensor or fuel injectors but how can I actually find the fault rather then just replacing it part by part? Also are there any other things that might be worth doing to look after it a bit where it's been in the garage for a year?

All sorted?If so,what was the solution.?

twingo

You need a compression tester.There are new ones on Ebay for £12.99 posted.Alternatively,with plugs still in the engine,park the car on level ground,put it in 3rd gear,release the handbrake and manually by hand push the car.The resistance should be at regular intervals as the pistons come up to Top Dead Centre on the compression stroke.If one is an easy push,that cylinder is down on compression.
I would change the HT leads on a 10 year old car as a matter of course,Europarts do a set for £17.95 if you buy them on Ebay,but pick them up from your local depot.You may as well get the PFR6E-10 plugs the same way.PLug gap should be 1mm.
The injectors are under the cover at the front of the engine,you could swop no2 with another cylinder and see if the fault changes cylinder.Be carefull not to break the fuel rail.There is no pressure regulator fitted if you wonder what the hole at the end of the fuel rail is.
It wold be good practise to replace the upper inlet manifold gaskets and seal.

those are not the correct spark plugs for the engine by the sounds of the price, although i haven't checked but i do know the usual price for ngk plugs for this engine are much more expensive than that. only use the correct NGK plugs and nothing else

PH2 172
those are not the correct spark plugs for the engine by the sounds of the price, although i haven't checked but i do know the usual price for ngk plugs for this engine are much more expensive than that. only use the correct NGK plugs and nothing else

I did not suggest a price for spark plugs,just suggested EP leads if the owner does not have ££ to burn.NGK plug number is correct.
,shop arround for NGK`s but £40 for 4 is about right,and any way is this guy sorted,but cannot be bothered to let us know.

Oscar,Are you still getting your cans of Super for 75 pence?

twingo
I did not suggest a price for spark plugs,just suggested EP leads if the owner does not have ££ to burn.NGK plug number is correct.
,shop arround for NGK`s but £40 for 4 is about right,and any way is this guy sorted,but cannot be bothered to let us know.

Oscar,Are you still getting your cans of Super for 75 pence?

i just re read that and seen it says HT leads, my bad mate sorry about that one. and no, recently they've went up to 90 pence for a can of super! time to stop, it's turning me blind haha

PH2 172
i just re read that and seen it says HT leads, my bad mate sorry about that one. and no, recently they've went up to 90 pence for a can of super! time to stop, it's turning me blind haha

:lolup: Your sure it`s the supers?

Cheers all, I got it sorted about a week ago. I did an oil change and spark plug change and it started belowing smoke so took it to the garage. It turned out the fuel injector was knackered so was pumping in way too much fuel which led to it flooding everything and getting into all the new oil, so he had to replace the injector and give it an oil change again and now its running a treat....except for the gearbox is now playing up haha