ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

D3100 or wait for another new model?

133, 182, Kangoo 182
Looking to upgrade from a D40 to something a bit better and with video. The D3100 looks perfect, but there's two things that put me off.. 1) Non-rotating screen, 2) No external mic input. Both of these are mainly because I want to have a go at making some short vids and they would help a great deal, but the screen is a nice feature I'd like for high/low shots, too.

The price of the camera is very nice (Jessops have a pre-order kit of body, 18-55 VR, bag and card for 579) and I suppose the lack of those features is reflected in the price, but is it worth waiting for the next replacements models for a couple of months?

I'm guessing the D90 replacement is going to be quite a bit more and I won't be able to afford it, but are there any other similar models that offer the above without a heft price tag.

Will have about 650 max to spend and wouldn't mind getting a new tripod with that, too but not vital...

D3100 has excellent features for entry level TBH! Very much a step up from the D3000. I think Canon are well overdue to replace the 1000D so keep eyes open for that.

133, 182, Kangoo 182
Yeah I've been thinking about it more and more, it's a great upgrade for me. D40 to D3100 is an even bigger jump as far as features go and the price is within budget :)

Think I'll go for it!

Ford Fiesta ST2
Whens the D3100 due for release? I'm looking to buy my first DSLR and am debating between buying the D3000 or spending almost double to get the D3100. Any advice for a first timer?

133, 182, Kangoo 182
Believe it's towards the end of this month. I've not really read much on the D3000 so can't comment on it, but I'm sure I've read that the D3100 will basically be replacing that, too.