ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

DA or Orbital polisher?

Mini JCW
After asking for a decent wax and sealant in this thread :

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=453154

I have decided to go a bit further and order a machine polisher, probably from i4detailing in order to get the CS discount.

So far order itself will be around the £300 mark:eek: (with DAS-6) but i'm struggling to choose a polishing machines. If I go DA I think i'll go for a Kestrel DAS-6 with Mez polish and pads combo :

http://i4detailing.co.uk/acatalog/Kestrel_DAS-6_Menz_Kit_2_1.html

Or from CYC, a chicago orbital polisher and mez combo such as this kit :

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/polis...ago-cp8210-complete-menzena-kit/prod_584.html

From what I understand - The DA is better suited for the beginner, cheaper and less chance of f*ck ups but then again less correction can be acheived on more demanding jobs.

The orbital is less suited for the beginner, more expensive and a greater risk of paint burn due to quicker / greater heat build up and I would be needing a few lessons prior to any actual work, but then it would cope with more demanding paint / swirls / scratches?

I will be ordering on monday (payday), so any help is appreciated :)

Cheers

Anthony

P.s Will still be going ahead with the Swissvax Onxy order too :)

Golf GTD Mk7
if you're going to do rotary mate, go for the silverline off Matt at i4detailing. Don't go spending hundreds of pounds on a polisher. No need what so ever. Obviously if you're doing it for a career, the makita would be the one to go for.

You can burn through with both, but from my experience, the da doesn't have enough umfffff for rs paint. Well my 182 anyway ;)

Mini JCW
if you're going to do rotary mate, go for the silverline off Matt at i4detailing. Don't go spending hundreds of pounds on a polisher. No need what so ever. Obviously if you're doing it for a career, the makita would be the one to go for.

You can burn through with both, but from my experience, the da doesn't have enough umfffff for rs paint. Well my 182 anyway ;)

Really? I thought renault paint was soft? Saying that a friend of mine attempted to remove some swirl marks before FCS this year and had a mare, was really tough going:dead:

Golf GTD Mk7
It's wierd, might just be mine (although i've read a few people with RS that have had issues with DA - 197s included in this). I've tried lots of pad/polish combos but no joy. Bought the silverline off matt and will hopefully be using it soon to get the car ready for winter :approve:

Mini JCW
It's wierd, might just be mine (although i've read a few people with RS that have had issues with DA - 197s included in this). I've tried lots of pad/polish combos but no joy. Bought the silverline off matt and will hopefully be using it soon to get the car ready for winter :approve:

Getting any lessons / practice using it before applying it to your own car? I'm worried about f*cking the paint up with an orbital :(

Golf GTD Mk7
no lessons no mate. Have a read of DAve Kings guide on detailingworld. Maybe get a scrap panel and give it a go. I'm going to try it on my other car first, but only to get used to the action. Presure and heat can be monitored and I use PTG also.

Mini JCW
no lessons no mate. Have a read of DAve Kings guide on detailingworld. Maybe get a scrap panel and give it a go. I'm going to try it on my other car first, but only to get used to the action. Presure and heat can be monitored and I use PTG also.

I don't use nor can justify the purchase of a PTG so thats a worry i'd imagine?:dapprove:

I'll use my OHs 206 derv as a test car before attemtping correction on the cup :p

Golf GTD Mk7
you don't need a PTG I guess, but it's just something to fall back on if you're unsure how far you've gone through. is there no one near you that you could borrow one?

Mini JCW
Thought about a G220? Good for beginners

Thats a similar product to the DAS-6 no?

I used a mates on my car, but was unable to acheive anymore then 20 - 30% correction, and am worried the same will happen with an DA, due to their inability generate as much heat, causing less effective breakdown of the polishing compound....

mk7 fiesta zs
Thats a similar product to the DAS-6 no?

I used a mates on my car, but was unable to acheive anymore then 20 - 30% correction, and am worried the same will happen with an DA, due to their inability generate as much heat, causing less effective breakdown of the polishing compound....

the g220 and das6 are indeed more or less the same thing. a DA is more than capable of paint correction with the right pad/ polish combos - saying they don't generate enough heat to break down polishes is not true at all

Mini JCW
the g220 and das6 are indeed more or less the same thing. a DA is more than capable of paint correction with the right pad/ polish combos - saying they don't generate enough heat to break down polishes is not true at all

Thats good to know :)

mk7 fiesta zs
its common knowledge that rotaries are faster machines thus giving the results you want in a shorter time, but they are more difficult to control. hence why DA's are normally better for beginners because they aren't as fast

Mini Cooper S
Go for the Menz kit 2 then purchase a 4" back plate with 4" Sonus Spot pads. Should see you through for a bit.

Megane R26

Why is a Makita the one to go for? I own both and the Chicago is my main machine, it's MUCH lighter and just as good.

The best machine is the Festool which Matt has just started selling at around £350.

Golf GTD Mk7
its common knowledge that rotaries are faster machines thus giving the results you want in a shorter time, but they are more difficult to control. hence why DA's are normally better for beginners because they aren't as fast

You're not going to get the same level of correction from a DA over a rotary period mate. Fact unfortunately.

Golf GTD Mk7
Why is a Makita the one to go for? I own both and the Chicago is my main machine, it's MUCH lighter and just as good.

The best machine is the Festool which Matt has just started selling at around £350.

Makita is one of the most popular amongst the detailers. but I guess it would be down to personal preference ;)

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
Best all rounder aye. Or some 3M products if you are hardcore :cool: Although iv only used fastcut myself.:eek:

Agreed, menzerna polish and lakeside pads all day long. Megs pads aren't too bad though.

Lakeland County pads.

For n00bs DAs are the best bet as Kev has stated. They do achieve the necessary break down of polishes . . . otherwise I would have upgraded years ago. I have not seen the need for a rotary yet. Yes time factors would make me move in readiness for the German paint coming my way in a couple of months time, but for now, Renault paint is as soft as shhhhugar.

LLC pads are very easily destroyed, so would not use as a n00b. Sonus pads are perfectly adequate and break down polishes well.

The Megs 80/83 combo are good to start, but far to oily for my liking, hence the upgrade/move to Menz polishes.

You can burn through paint with a rotary. You cannot with a DA, unless you put petrol on the pad, light it with a match and set the car on fire deliberately.

LiquidRich

ClioSport Club Member
  LY R27
I have the G220 and I think its great for the beginner, I would never have brought a rotary myself due to the fear of burning or holograming.

BIFCAIDS

ClioSport Club Member
  340i M-Sport & 182
just to jump in ive bought a DAS-6 and sonus pads n menz polishes and jamie is gonna show me the way, as ill be his paduwan

10th October? Joe T5 is coming up to have the Trophy detailed. Bob over, Alex will have his car then as well. Sorry, MY car :(