ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Daily Monaco 172

clio 172, mk1 caddy
Bought this in a moment of drunkness on ebay one night at uni, bringing my car total to 6 but giving me lots of freedom at uni and saving mega money on trains!

It had a 'fault list' as long as my arm and the mot was due a week later, picked it up in southampton drove to surrey, drove round for 3 days before driving it back to hereford to mot and 'fix' it.

Was driving fine but wouldnt rev over 5k without spluttering, swapped plugs out as had bosch in, oil out for fully syn, new filters (had gay aftermarket filter) and a full detail and machine polish left me with a nice shiny car that wouldnt rev over 5k, changed coilpack and all is good! previous owner had superglued 3 bolts into the upper inlet so had to sort that out.

Exterior wise was funny, red stickers everywhere, red badges that were held on with superglue, had a right fun time getting this off but now has all satin black badges and no more enault sport badge.

Fitted two new rear wheel bearings and found the pad carrier helicoiled one (i had only set myself an afternoon for this before mot and going back to london) was not a happy chappy but realised the calipers were identical to a 106 one and i happen to have 4 in the garage! Swapped this out and prayed i didnt need to bleed brakes, all was good and i was happy! Put it through mot and flew through with only an advisory on an oil leak.

Iv owned it now for a month. Iv since fitted a ph1 airbox which then managed to press against my coolant hose and make it split on the m4 on monday, a quick jog to a mini garage to borrow some mole grips and i was on my way, tookit apart when i got home to see why it was so tight and noticed a bolt missing from my gearbox mount, took battery out and found one missing, the only just about holding and the ones holding the cast mount loose. Explains the noise under hard acceleration! Took all this apart and replaced with new bolts and nuts, took it for a test drive and its completely different, so happy!

Cleaned and blew the grills over with satin black today, scuttle and mirrors to do next, then once mums finished using it this week front bumper and wings are coming off for paint as stone chips galore!

Plans from now are some nice coilies, a nice exhaust and some decent wheels whilst i continue to paint and tidy the exterior!

Will add pics when my phones charged :)

GavC

ClioSport Club Member
  Black Gold 182FF
Haha quite the story so far! Look forward to seeing the photos of her

clio 172, mk1 caddy
Its been fun is the only way i can describe it haha! So many stripped threads and stuff once id sorted them i was close to sticking it back on ebay haha!

Best one is today when i was putting bumper back on i thought id have a better look at leak as fixed the cam cover one, had a look about, looked up and saw a butterfly bolt type thing hanging on by a thread driping in gearbox oil, seems as though someone checked the level and forgot to tighten it back up haha! All degreased and clean under ther enow