ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Damp under rear nearside seat.

Jap Box
Lifted the seat up today to feed some wires through and smelt damp, felt the sponge section and it was pretty wet, the metal underside was wet too :(

I think this would be the reason why all my windows have been misting up recently and remained misted up all day.

Where could something be leaking from to cause this as it seems like an odd place as the top of the seat is bone dry and people are always in the back and never complain of damp.

The little black cover under the rear seats has been gaffer taped down by myself months ago as stupid little silver bugs were trying to live there (later found out these are some kind of bug that like damp) were loads when car was bought but when id cleaned it all out completely ive seen none for months now and still no sign of them anywhere.

Realised I didnt put the bolt back over the isofix bar today so could it be cold getting into the ca through that hole, then mixing with the hot air of people causing the condensation/damp?

Renaultsport Clio 200 Cup
Just wondering if the heater matrix is leaking. Have a check to see if your water level is going down.

Jap Box
Just wondering if the heater matrix is leaking. Have a check to see if your water level is going down.

Will take a look but its gone down from max to halfway in about 4 months so I dont think it is leaking.

How would it cause it just under the back seats too? Might be something getting into the boot too maybe? All of the inside of the car windscreen now freezes over so there must be water somewhere.

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
Usually caused by leaking rear clusters or rubber grommits near the clusters.

Mine personally was a tiny pin hole in the sealant under the roof rail - although I think I've been the only one with that so far!

Jap Box
Usually caused by leaking rear clusters or rubber grommits near the clusters.

Mine personally was a tiny pin hole in the sealant under the roof rail - although I think I've been the only one with that so far!
Ill take a look at them today then, the inside of the one cluster was misted up slightly inside throughout the day so it might be a possibility.

Im buying a dehumidifier now too and a pile of damp traps to try and stop it all soonish as its managed to rust the surround of the sub in the boot :S

B

Bucko

Same here, took me ages to work out why there was a pool of water under the rear seats!

I'm glad someone else had the same problem

Jap Box
Same here, took me ages to work out why there was a pool of water under the rear seats!

I'm glad someone else had the same problem

Which seal is this? Rear clusters are fine so its not coming in through them, not had a chance to get a dehumidifier in there yet.

Clio sport 182
lift ur back seats up and if u have a puddle or its damp under them then its prob coming in threw the light cluster units

182cup & 172 racecar
The only way is to taste it I'm afraid.

Sorry I can't help you more than that,apart from removing all the carpets and getting a hose pipe out and see were it comes in.

Jap Box
The only way is to taste it I'm afraid.

Sorry I can't help you more than that,apart from removing all the carpets and getting a hose pipe out and see were it comes in.

Ha ha, I just find it odd its not got the seats wet, just the underside.

Could it just be condensation that has gathered there? seal on the drivers front window at the bottom is broke so water always gets in through there and then drains through the bottom of the door and back out, so possibly some of that is lingering around the car?

Jap Box
I wouldn't have thought it would have made its way up under the rear seats.

Same here, but there was a massive puddle in the drivers footwell the one day and with all the frost and cold it might not have dried out properly at all so its been keeping the moisture, been over a month though.

182cup & 172 racecar
Have you checked that the rubber bungs are in,the ones underneath the car where the seat bolts in,can get lots of water in the footwell from there.

Jap Box
Have you checked that the rubber bungs are in,the ones underneath the car where the seat bolts in,can get lots of water in the footwell from there.

Didnt know there was meant to be rubber bungs there, ill take a look when I get the chance, wouldnt have thought water would get in through there though as it happens overnight when the cars stationary, and the water isnt able to travel up :S but then again the car is french so anything is possible.

Clio sport 182
check ur scuttle drain holes ur have to remove ur scuttle trims to have a look it maybe water getting into ur car threw the scuttle

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
had this on my old 1.2 16v dynamique, was the rear washer jet line, it runs up the near side and was leaking at a joint behind the rear n/s door card, i bet you a tenner its that!

Jap Box
had this on my old 1.2 16v dynamique, was the rear washer jet line, it runs up the near side and was leaking at a joint behind the rear n/s door card, i bet you a tenner its that!

Ahh shite, it could well be this as the rear washer jet is useless, it trickles down the back after ages of holding down the washer knob so I thought pressure must have been lost somewhere.

Pain in the add to get the rear door cards out isnt it?

Ph2 172 Black Pearl
Hi, i realise this is an old thread now but i am researching a similar problem with my 172. Source of water is definitely through the boot. At first I thought I'd cured it by putting silicone around the 'plastic buttons' on either side (one was pouring in like a tap) but there is still a trickle coming in from above these points somewhere internally within the bodywork.

what you have said here about the tiny pinhole is the closest I can find to something matching my scenario ( I don't have a sunroof or any of the other common problems leading to water inside the car + with the trim removed I can see the trail of water) but what i can't work out is where exactly were you talking about? Can you point me closer to where the tiny pinhole was please?

Am using a vax to suck the water out on an almost daily basis at present. Eventually I want to strip the carpet out to dry altogether but it seems wiser to know I have cured the problem first!

Many thanks