ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Damp/Wet under driver seat and rear carpet

Clio Sport 182
I know there are several other threads about this issue but I have some questions which the others didn't address.

So after a heavy a fairly wet week, My car started to get misted very quickly and thought it would be the pollen filter as many suggested. Before even getting to change the pollen filter, I noticed my carpet under the seat was soaked and after further inspection, I noticed the rear passenger footwell was also wet and my car has started to get a horrible damp kinda smell.

Now my questions are.
  • When I pour water over the scuttle panel, water does flow through the drains but it takes a second or so before it goes down. Should the water flow instantly?
  • My Driver side inner arch is missing but still has that sponge like pad which is usually behind the inner arch (saw a few examples on Google images). Having the inner arch missing, could this cause water to travel through?
  • I've noticed some people saying the sideskirts could be full off water. Where are the drain points located on the skirts?
  • This one is silly. How do I take the scuttle panel off to check the drains?
Cheers,

Bash.

Arctic Blue 182
Hi pal,
I had the same issue about two months ago... My issue was coming form the bulkhead, underneath the scuttle panel.
To take the scuttle panel off, you need to remove the windscreen wipers (three bolts in total and some strong arms), you'll then need to physically remove the windscreen wiper motor.
In the middle of the bulkhead, there will be a pipe that is the main drain hole, for some reason my pipe was bent upwards and blocked with dead wasps and leaves etc...
Stick a wire of some sort into the hole. Water should gush out instantly.
There are small drain holes in either corner of the bulkhead, these are the ones that come from out of the under the wheel arches.
I'm missing a wheel arch on the drivers side too, so don't worry about that...
As per the side skirts, just shove a screwdriver up the hole, there are loads of posts on here showing where they are... They usually get full of mud.
When I unblocked the pipe, about 10L of water came pouring out from behind the engine...
Hope that helps, my car is bone dry now and if you leave a heater in there for 3 days, it'll dry. But I suggest that you pull the carpets out from the front and rear and pull any foam padding out and let it dry out.

RichieJA

SCAMMER !!!!
  clio 172
I had same problem was middle scuttle drain blocked, water should poor out instantly

Clio Sport 182
Thanks guys.

Is there any way of getting to the middle drain without having to rip everything apart?

I've also got an amp wire running through the bonnet wire grommet. This wouldn't cause the leak would it?

Clio Sport 182
So had a little look around just now. First i removed the driver side scuttle panel and checked the drain. This appeared to be clear so i then ran water across my windscreen and water was flowing through the drain as it should. While the water running, I could clearly see the middle drain pipe was also flowing at the same rate as the driver side one. I'm not sure whether it is worth opening up all the scuttle panel to see inside it right now. Any suggestions?

I've now gone and sealed up the boot grommets just to be on the safe side. Additionally, the side skirts have been cleaned up using a paper clip, tooth brush and a screw driver.

What I did notice, or rather a friend of mine was the driver side door wasn't lining up correctly so I pushed in the latch and tightened up the screws. Finally I noticed the driver side door seal wasn't sitting properly so I adjusted that too. Hopefully this gets to the bottom of it.

I'll keep you guys posted.

Thanks

RichieJA

SCAMMER !!!!
  clio 172
Hopefully that's it sorted my drivers window seal is ripped its causing wind noise driving me daft

Clio Sport 182
Just an update. It appears the door seal was the issue for me. carpet has dried up itself now as I luckily caught it early

RichieJA

SCAMMER !!!!
  clio 172
That's good m8 glad you got it sorted I got a window seal for £3 wind noise is gone.

497adam

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172 phase 2
Having issue, removed scuttle bone dry . Any idea where else it could be getting in?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk