ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Danger running no backbox

Astra van,Mk1 nova
well to cut a long story short, exhaust snapped in half! have a 200 mile round trip to do at the weekend and was wondering if it can cause any damage at all mechanically if i ran it with no backbox for that trip? Obviously there will be a noticable power loss but not to fussed about that as i will be taking my time, oh and its decated:evil:

White Sti Hatch
Itll be fine lob the back box in the boot though so if you get pulled you can say it just happened and your on you way to get it fixed !

Itll be fine lob the back box in the boot though so if you get pulled you can say it just happened and your on you way to get it fixed !

+1

Or take train down, its probably cheaper if you order tickets on net before wekend

I take it you never got it fixed ?

polo, here for lols
i drove around for quite a while with out a back box before the noise did my head in too much. was abit of a novelty to start with as it sounded like sum kind of le mans car, even back firing when i down shifted/let off the throttle. but eventually i got very very board of not being able to hear my stereo let alone a passenger.

you'll not damage the engine or anything but it'll likely be hellishly noisy and you run the risk of losing the rest of the system - it's only supported by a small rubber hanger in the middle of the car and will flap about. will likely also need to fit a new manifold->system kit once you've done if you travel in any distance in it

in short, not really a good idea :)) )

ITB'd MK1
you'll not damage the engine or anything but it'll likely be hellishly noisy and you run the risk of losing the rest of the system - it's only supported by a small rubber hanger in the middle of the car and will flap about. will likely also need to fit a new manifold->system kit once you've done if you travel in any distance in it

in short, not really a good idea :)) )

pretty much on the money. Should be OK if you can tie it up with some wire (or something suitable that wont melt) Drove my diesel astra for a year with no backbox lol

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
No harm at all

I found it improved my fuel economy... though that was mostly down to not being able to go more than 50 :p

Flame Red 172
My mpg also improved!! due to driving 55 and not touching the accelerator hardly. I drove around for nearly a week as waited for new exhaust to arrive and no problems.

Lots of Alfas
I travelled 4 miles when mine snapped off. It is way too loud and you could risk damaging your hearing. Has it snapped at the centre section or the bend over the axle??