ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Dangerous 182. Please only PROFESSIONAL opinions

RS4 480hp,STI 420hp,ELISE
I hope someone can help me with this problem.

Car is a cup packed 182 with 80 000 miles.

The 182 is acting dangerous in my opinion. It doesn't corner that well anymore. Read BAD.
1)Car seems to float away in turnings
2)Under hard acceleration, it seems the steering wheel doesn't come back. Car is choosing side under hard acceleration. It always did a little in first gear, but now it's much harder and I really have to pull back the steering wheel. Not normal.
3)Steeringwheel feels much lighter when steering.

Now I worked out a few sollutions.

1)Since 6 months I have the H&R coilover kit. It's set at the same height as the originals. Does it need to be re-alligned? It wasn't.

2)Since 6 months, I have a big oil loss. The dealer told me he knew where it came from. It's a leak that only leaks when the engine is running. He told me it leaks on the flywheel and the clutch. But it's a big work and he told me to fix it when the clutch needs to be replaced. Maybe the oil is leaking somewhere on a steeringwheel related thing.

Or can this be something else?

Thank you very much

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Have the steering rack checked. Mine went on my 172 cup with only 40,000 miles. It felt VERY dangerous and unstable, not nice to drive at all. Also get the H&R's set up for toe etc

M2 Competition
Get the coilovers set up too.

Whats the point in having them if the cars not lowered at all, and theyre not set up?

Be worse than standard.

Don

182 & LY Clio 220 ed
rear dampers if it is jumping around on corners

Agreed...raise the car up and check for leaks or soaked dampers. They're £40 per corner, and I had this in my Cup...didn't feel like it was tracking through the corners. Replaced the pair and feels fine since. :)

ITB BG 182
i used to have a problem just like this an took it to a 4 wheel alignment place in nottingham none of this kwik fit f1auto center crap.
Up on the ramps an he checkd every thing an re done all wheels, problem is gone.

Get it to some one who knows how to anlign the wheel properly

Some new details.

I left home today and could feel knocking in the throttle pedal. Steering was very bad. I stopped and made short quick left right moves with the steering wheel. Could hear it knock and also felt it again in the pedal.

I drove home and took the exit on the motorway. Car didn't follow the steering wheel instructions as it should. It was floating away.

Can it be the steering rack?

Thanx for all the help!

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Just get it to a garage!!!! First check for play in the rack, if there is no play give it a full geometry set up, go from there :) (common sense)

@RichMcc

1)I'm not Jesus
2)It was checked by 2 different Renault dealers and 1 independant garage and they couldn't find one single malfunction, so desperate as I am, I ask it on this forum
3)It wasn't alligned because they all told me it wasn't necessary when riding on the original height (and I believed that, but not anymore)