ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Dave, Topgear, Mark 1 v Mark 2, regrets

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
well it'll be after xmas i expect.

what i rekon i'll do is get a gixxer and probably a 106 gti...

well i think if i do decide to change it will be when/if i move which will be in the new year, i am looking to move within non car commuting distance of work so a weekend toy would be the plan, we will see i spose,

may have changed my mind by then though, who knows, i am sure rides in various mark 1's won't help though

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
yer i know, well i have always said it will need to be something a bit special to go back to mark 1, something like a highly tuned hybrid, a 172 conversion or a turbo.

well the 172 conv is the best bet, the newer reliablity with the older looks and handling.

but then again, a turbo is something thats always been appealing, what a bout a 172 t?

well the 172 conv is the best bet, the newer reliablity with the older looks and handling.

but then again, a turbo is something thats always been appealing, what a bout a 172 t?

like you say the 172 engine conversion is your best bet, it will still drive fairly similar to an F7R'd one but wont break as much.

The tubo is something I'd not fancy in a Clio. Not enough weight over the fronts, too much power coming in at once... cant see them being much cop round a track tbh, too nervy and on/off

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
errr...Dunno really. I had a williams for a yr. Cool wee cars, defo not as fast - Que 2live mannin himself off about the willy. But i felt whilst the willy was fun, i thought everytime i got to a corner "Will i survive or will i end up in a bush!" - Not all that reassuring. The 172 was great loved it till i put coilovers on it. Sure it looked better, but the handling on the road (No track) was terrible, i hated it!
The luxury's are important to me, granted not much luxury but more so than the mk1

Valvers and willy's are so cheap now neal - Buy another one!! :)

Clio 182
You know it makes sense Neal, I bought a valver for £200! And williams engines are getting a lot cheaper now...£3/400, a lot of car for the money!

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
ali - you reckon coilovers ruined your 172? i would have thought the handling would have been so much better, as you may have read thats what i would have planned for the ph1 172.

as with your fear of bush, i wouldn't ever think that of a willy (great line that lol), my valver seemed planted always

dan - its neil lol...not neal, thats 100 off the white one for that infraction.....lol

rctempire

ClioSport Moderator
Well guys, im a mark 1 guy. I think ive driven my mark 1 enough to comment now.

I like my mark one, but i feel its crap to be fair. After it sliding away from me on a roundabout i feel its not cracked up to be great as everyone says. Im actually quite scared of my car when it gets wet at it goes all over the joint no matter what wheels or tyres i have. It rattles like hell all the time. There is no stop to the endless faults but to be honest its a good car. It does me to get to places. I just have this constant fear in my head that it will slide or crash or break on me. Thats it, i am actually really worried that my car will eventually blow up on me again.

I really want to upgrade my car to a 172/182 series because of all these worries, or all together move away from the clios because of my worries with my mark one.

There is my input of the clio mark 1s.

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
ali - you reckon coilovers ruined your 172? i would have thought the handling would have been so much better, as you may have read thats what i would have planned for the ph1 172.

as with your fear of bush, i wouldn't ever think that of a willy (great line that lol), my valver seemed planted always

dan - its neil lol...not neal, thats 100 off the white one for that infraction.....lol

It was set up for the track and it wasn't till i went on the road that i realised i'd gone the wrong way! Was too low for the road too.

Put it this way i drove a 182 with eibacs on it and it was better on the road.

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
Coilovers are for the track

Unless you like feeling rabbit s**t in the road when you go over it

106 GTi
Not true IMO - After driving Loony's 182 with H&R's it rides better on the road than the standard set up on mine - much less chrashy, damping was so much better. Best mod you can make.

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
Not true IMO - After driving Loony's 182 with H&R's it rides better on the road than the standard set up on mnie - much less chrashy, damping was so much better. Best mod you can make.

Drove 2 182's on the H&R one was actually worse than my 172! Other one was ok. Nout to write home about!

eibac's are spot on imo.

'92 172, Lotus Elise

I like my mark one, but i feel its crap to be fair. After it sliding away from me on a roundabout i feel its not cracked up to be great as everyone says. Im actually quite scared of my car when it gets wet at it goes all over the joint no matter what wheels or tyres i have. It rattles like hell all the time. There is no stop to the endless faults but to be honest its a good car. It does me to get to places. I just have this constant fear in my head that it will slide or crash or break on me. Thats it, i am actually really worried that my car will eventually blow up on me again.

I really want to upgrade my car to a 172/182 series because of all these worries, or all together move away from the clios because of my worries with my mark one.

cant say i ever feel like that

and i've spun a few times ;) But normally when giving it waaay too much stick - in general 'spirited' driving its great!

106 GTi
Not true IMO - After driving Loony's 182 with H&R's it rides better on the road than the standard set up on mnie - much less chrashy, damping was so much better. Best mod you can make.

Drove 2 182's on the H&R one was actually worse than my 172! Other one was ok. Nout to write home about!

eibac's are spot on imo.

Shocked by that, Si's felt spot on, wanted to keep his and leave him with mine.

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS

eibac's are spot on imo.

He had diff wheels and tyres too tho...It's all apart of a bgger picture. Canny mind if si's had cobra's at that point.

Doubt you would of wanted his paint tho...

106 GTi

He had diff wheels and tyres too tho...It's all apart of a bgger picture. Canny mind if si's had cobra's at that point.

Normal seats back in when I got to drive it, small non boat steering wheel on it though!

Yeah you boys can keep your Blues !

Clio 182

Bit of a pointless comparison when your comparing a poverty spec mk1 to a top of the range mk2...

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS

Normal seats back in when I got to drive it, small non boat steering wheel on it though!

up yeee! That colour magic works reet on blackgold! ;)

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
some interesting comments here

so if it were say between....

phase 1 172 in basic standard form with exhaust and coilovers

vs

a stripped valver/172 hybrid

what would you guys reckon as an only car but to only really be used on weekends

up yeee! That colour magic works reet on blackgold! ;)

Had OE rims back on too, they came off before the buckets came back out. Tbh I wish I still had both on the car still but I guess it was time to be sensible I was at the point of pouring a never ending stream of money into the car or knocking it on the head. The old man in me decided the latter was the better move :dapprove:

Clio 182
I couldnt be arsed with a stripped car everyday...I would either go with a cammed williams 1, or a properly stripped hybrid and a standard 16v as a runaround...

eibac's are spot on imo.

Hmm

I've had 2 cars on 2 sets of H&R Coilovers and I have to agree with Rich.
Who set your coilovers up, David Blunkett ;)
On 17 inch rims bose suspension would feel crap tbh...

Neil: Swings and roundabouts...

rctempire

ClioSport Moderator
Bit of a pointless comparison when your comparing a poverty spec mk1 to a top of the range mk2...
Wouldnt say mine was a poverty spec mark 1, far from that.

However the cup just fills all my boxes right now, and ive had some bad experiences with my clio. Ask any of the CS Scottish lot, its just needs some tlc, which it has all of that, even bodywork and a new engine.

Just i really am scared of my car when its wet, it just slides all the time, and im not to comfortable with it as my first and only time happened at a busy roundabout and nearly had no car and no me.

Mark 1s i do love them dont get me wrong, i would love another mark 1, just i think a move up in the game to a newer shape would benefit me more and for my driving as i progress into a more experienced driver.