ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Dave182's 197 vs. 225 back to back test! (and a little 182 might pop in!)

dk

911 GTS Cab
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Forget the magazine reviews, this is where it is at, back to back test!

Thought it was about time I test drove this new 197 after hearing all about it from different people, I thought it was time I made up my own mind by seeing what it is really like.

I rang my dealer to ask for a test drive and thought that while I am at it I might as well test the new 225 at the same time as a comparison so I asked if I could test drive both. After the saleswoman called me 'mate' several times we arranged a time and I made my way over there.

When I got there, Black 225, no cup chassis but EuroIV so not the end of the world. To my amazement she handed me the keys and said, see you back soon! Now this was a new experience for me as my last experience of asking for a test drive at my other local dealer was met with the response 'If you go 1 mph over the speed limit i will stop the car and throw you out!' to which I turned around and left promptly so I really wasn't expecting to be handed the keys and told cya later mate!

So I took the 225 for a run with a mixture of roads and my first impression was the urgency at which it accelerates. Now this might be 'turbo effect' but it really did seem fast, the turbo actually pleased me and I thought I wouldn't like a turbo, especially as it still revs to 7k. So without the cup chassis, I was very impressed, it wasn't bad at all and I could only think that with the cup chassis it must be a very handy tool! I did a nice brake test, 70-0 and it performed very well, straight line with no problems, the upgraded brakes (cross drilled i believe and bigger something or other) should be good with cup pack. There was quite an annoying squeak coming from the windows but i'm sure that was a one off or something. To get a good run I pulled in towards the end of the drive to let the cars ahead of me pull away and waited for a gap. Well, what should come round the corner but a 172 so I thought this is the time to do it and pulled off, looking behind I saw the 172 make progress so thought I would see how it compares and it was definitely able to pull away so that was good and pretty much ended the test drive. I was very happy with it and came out buzzing, definitely on the shopping list!

Next was the 197, black again and again just handed the keys and sent off in it alone. The first thing I noticed was the lack of ooomph it had, put my foot down at the same point as the 225 but it didn't seem to go anywhere, very weird but if I was asked how much BHP it had I was guess at 150 it was that unresponsive. It also didn't have any kick like when the cams come on with the 182 which also disappointed, its the same engine so why no kick, was a good feature! Also noticed that when I pulled out of junctions it still wheel span even with ESP on. Car is noticably bigger inside and quite pleasant although I HATE the air con controls, very cheap and nasty, it would HAVE to be climate for me just to get rid of the nasty cheap plastic dials! What I did like was that it revved to something like 7800 and had a nicer upshift light too, cornered very well and did the same 70-0 test on the brakes at it was astounding how good it stopped, and again in a dead straight line so the brakes are something I can't complain about! It just didn't do anything for me engine wise, it was flat and gutless, I seemed to be doing the speed but just didn't enjoy getting there, too much like hard work.

Both cars had nearly 2k miles on them was a fair test mileage wise but I came out of the 197 feeling a bit like when I drove the Golf GTi, its a nice drive, very pleasant and will go fast but the driver experience is nothing like what the 182 one was and I came out of the 225 a bit like I did when I first drove my 182 so I personally would prefer the 225. Neither cars seemed to have a decent exhaust noite, something I think Renault should spend some time on for a little better sounding as to have a twin exhaust with no noise is a bit frustrating. The price is the other thing that concerns me, the 197 specced up to the 225 (well as good as you can without having leather as an option) was something like 18k whereas I can get the 225 with the spec I want for £15k so seems a no brainer to me!

I then got in the 182 to drive home, and i'm sure this is something everyone who has tested the 197 then gone back to a 182 will have experienced but the clutch in the 182 was SOOOOOOOOOO heavy compared to the newer cars, was quite astounding.

So I had a think, 197 is a nono due to it not being as exciting to drive as the 182 and being expensive, just like the golf really and the 225, this seems like the logical upgrade for a 182 owner but if I am being honest, after driving the 182 again since, I really can't fault it and am replacing it for the sake of replacing it as I have had it 2 1/2 years and felt a change, but so far nothing I have driven actually is any better than it! Still have the Focus ST and VXR to drive but at the moment I am thinking I keep the 182 for another year, see what the new Type R is like and go from there.
[/FONT]

E90
Real men drive turbos, good to see you've come round.

I agree with the Golf comment, dont feel as alive when you drive it, But get it right on the limit and it changes.

Last edited:
  artic blue 182
i felt the same about the 197...thought it was dull nowhere near as much fun to drive as the 182

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Wow, black on blue is hard to read ;)

Good review, wonder if its just the weight thats killing the 197, whats the power to weight compared to the 182?

clio 200 F4Rt
excellent stuff. good read.

the more i hear about the megane 225's the more i am interested in them. especially as they seem to be getting cheaper and cheaper. Plus i cant rememebr the last time i saw ione on the road, so pretty exclusive!

dk

911 GTS Cab
EvilJohn said:
Wow, black on blue is hard to read ;)

Good review, wonder if its just the weight thats killing the 197, whats the power to weight compared to the 182?
lol, use the more superior modern white colourscheme;)

Thanks for the comments guys, i reckon the 197 would be perfect with 225 BHP! (would be worth the price more then aswell)

I'm just left wondering how 'cherry' picked the 197 was that the mags are testing ;)

ARCTIC BLUE 182
great review mate, i thought of changing my 182 to a new evo after visiting car planet in warrington, but after a insurance quote and speaking to my mate who bought one 2 months ago, ive decided i cannot afford it as he is only getting 165 miles to a full tank of fuel. But if anyone is in the warrington area i suggest a visit too car planet on farrell street, some fukin awesome cars. selling the new evo £7000 cheaper than teh mitsubishi dealer 3 miles down the road, but they are imports.

Ziel Nurburgring
Me too Dave, although i thought that it was maybe that you were going as quick as the 182 but the feeling of speed is removed with the new car.

On the road with the salesmen in the car you cant really get a chance to have a proper test though.

dk

911 GTS Cab
blink172 said:
Me too Dave, although i thought that it was maybe that you were going as quick as the 182 but the feeling of speed is removed with the new car.

On the road with the salesmen in the car you cant really get a chance to have a proper test though.
i agree, when i looked at the speedo i was going fast, just didn't remember getting there which sort of took the fun out of it.

Also agree about the salesperson being in the car with you, which is why i was so pleased and amazed when i got to go it alone, was perfect!

dk

911 GTS Cab
Tom said:
Out of interest did you get the mileage of the 197?
glad to see you read it mate ;)

'[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Both cars had nearly 2k miles on them was a fair test mileage wise'[/FONT]

dk

911 GTS Cab
Tom said:
lol, you didnt expect me to surely?
i skimmed it.
i'm hurt! All that effort and the most important person didn't even read it properly! ;)

Why do you ask, not sure any tests i have read have been anything over 2k miles tbh.

Good read Dave. I dont agree about the 197 not being as fun as the 182, but maybe I pushed it a lot harder? I do agree that it's slow though. Your 225 comments are good to read, as I'm almost certainly getting a FF225 with Cup Pack, Recaros and Xenons

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
dave182 said:
i'm hurt! All that effort and the most important person didn't even read it properly! ;)

Why do you ask, not sure any tests i have read have been anything over 2k miles tbh.

Just wanted to see if any of the tested cars had loads of miles on, the average is 600-3000

And the 182 comes on cam at 5k+
The "vvt" "changes the timing" at 1800 and stays that way.

Until recently I had a 987 Boxster S with a 182 Clio (with cup packs) as a second car. Had the Clio since October 2004 and its an impressive little car. I drove the 197 and in contrast to what has been posted above I found it quite impressive. The new gearbox provides a change VASTLY superior to that in the current car. The exhaust note also sounds far better and perhaps due to the extended wheelbase I found the ride more forgiving. The dash is clearly made of a higher quality plastic and the steering wheel is no longer a nasty injection moulded plastic item-the rim is also thicker which i prefer.

The seats are fantastic in the new car and although I didnt get a chance to give them a workout on my testdrive they are enormous for this class of car (bigger front discs than a Porsche Cayman I believe). Personally Im pleased the car is a bit bigger as well. The 197 has lost the top end delivery of the 182-the power delivery is not flat which does give the impression the car is slower as it doesnt now go mental at 5k.

The biggest downside of the car for me is how much spec has been removed compared to the old car. When I bought my 182 I was really impressed how much kit came as standard, especially in comparison to my £45k Boxster. Xenons, cruise, auto wipers/lights, auto climate ALL standard. From memory I think xenons were close to a £1k option on the Porsche ( they are not even standard on a base 997 shape 911!!!)

Pity so much of this previously standard kit has now migrated to the options list-a fully specced up 197 is OVER £18k!!!! I'm amazed NONE of the motoring press has mentioned this.

I bought my 182 with a 24% discount making it a cheap car at (£12k). At that money for a new car with 3 years warranty its basically untouchable. Debate the Golf GTI, Focus ST or forthcoming Civic Type R all you like, they cant touch the Clio as they are all close to £18-£20k with a bit of spec. As/when the BIG discounts kick in on the 197 its likely to be an unbeatable new car deal.

I'll wait till then before I buy one (or till when the "EVO" or "Cup" version turns up.

dk

911 GTS Cab
highway said:
As an aside the 225 Megane depreciates (from new) like a Piano leaving an upstairs window.
who cares when its £15k for a fully specced one instead of £21k list!

I agree with you about the spec of the 197 though as that was one of the reasons i went for the 182 as it had all the options i wanted as standard.

Oh and why discount the other cars when i can get a Focus ST3 which is much better specced than the 197 for £15k (again a £20k car!)

The deals are out there if you just look around.

If you have been able to source a ST3 for £15k new (with a realistic delivery date) then I would suggest you have found the automotive equivalent of unicorn poo!

At that money I agree its perhaps the car to have (although fuel consumption is fierce)

dk

911 GTS Cab
highway said:
If you have been able to source a ST3 for £15k new (with a realistic delivery date) then I would suggest you have found the automotive equivalent of unicorn poo!

At that money I agree its perhaps the car to have (although fuel consumption is fierce)
you have pm