ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

DavidStrawhorn - 1.2 Clio Project

Renault Clio 1.2 16V
Hello,
Bought my first Clio last Monday. Picked it up on Tuesday, and crashed it on Wednesday. Well I say crashed, my 'mate' ran into the side of me(He was entirely at fault.

I picked up a new door from Barry Devlins, as well as two new front seats. Fitted the door today, and will fit seats tomorrow.

This thread will follow my Clio as I clean it up and get it sitting nice.

A few pics as she sits just now...

Ignore the different coloured lights, this was a comparison photo...
8399207801_212d0b8d61_c.jpg

With the door off. Sill is still bent...
8403735248_702ae33258_c.jpg

The damage to the door...
8402649547_336f3691d7_c.jpg

The alloys. There from a 172 I believe...?
8403738378_64127f7129_c.jpg

The car's lowered on springs, will be changed to coilies soon ;)

I'll be doing a photoshop of the car either tonight or tomorrow and show how i want it to sit.

All the best,
~David

Arctic 182FF
Welcome to cliosport! Back luck about being crashed into almost straight away. Please don't fit either of those rear lights from the comparison photo, they will get you labelled as a chav. I believe the alloys you have are oz f1s from a ph1 172 although I may be wrong, I'm sure someone will correct me if I am. They are nice alloys but could probably benefit from a refurb or a good clean at least. Coilovers are a great idea, they will transform the look of your car. But if I was you I'd try to freshen up the car with some subtle mods such as silvervision indicator bulbs, clear side repeaters, colour coding etc. Sheep mods really, but everyone does them for a good reason. Also, if you made a cut out in your rear bumper for the exhaust to fit in, I think that would make it look better too.
Try looking here for ideas of what to do to your car. http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?331979-Non-Sports-In-Here&highlight=non+sports+in+here
Best of luck

Renault Clio 1.2 16V
Hi Barnett,
I'm planning on colour coding the plastics this weekend. AS well as giving the car a good clean and wax as soon as I get a dry day.
What's wrong with the rear lights? I thought the tinted ones blend nicely with the car? If not then are there any you recommend?
Thanks,
~David

Renault Clio 1.2 16V
This is the back box that's on it just now. It's so embarrassing lol, although I like the popping noises at 0:24...

Last edited by a moderator:
  S4 Avant
Those wheels have never seen a 172. No idea what they are.

Those rear lights are horrible, and the standard ones that you're car came with would look good.

Hi Barnett,
I'm planning on colour coding the plastics this weekend. AS well as giving the car a good clean and wax as soon as I get a dry day.
What's wrong with the rear lights? I thought the tinted ones blend nicely with the car? If not then are there any you recommend?
Thanks,
~David

It's your car, do what you want, this is just my opinion :)

lexus lights scream chav.

just get some ph2 OEM rear lights

Arctic 182FF
Good, colour coding is always a winner, I see the rear bumper has already been done. The tinted ones are the better of the two in my opinion but they're generally not taken kindly to on this website. But it's your car, you don't have to try to please everyone on here, so long as you're happy with it. I personally think that standard rear lights lightly tinted look great. There's a few pics here http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?645272-Rear-lights-tint
Or there's the FK LED rear lights that I have, but again they're hit and miss with people. http://www.cliosport.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=81827&d=1343056080

Renault Clio 1.2 16V
Right so the lights are definetly going haha!
I've ordered suade door cards and xenon bulbs (hi/lo/sides).
I like the LED rear lights but theres something stopping me from buying them. Will probably just get oem ones.

How do you guys go about colour coding? I was planning on doing it myself. Rubbing the plastics back, priming with plastic primer then several coats of paint and clear coar?
~David

Jap Box
Not a fan of the lights, hope your mate paid for the damage too!

Alloys don't look too bad anyway, just need a refurb :)

Colour coding is simple, sand down, prime, spray, laquer. Just make sure the prep work is decent and the final coats will come out fine.

Renault Clio 1.2 16V
The alloys are getting refurbed and sprayed a secret colour ;) which will be the colour them for my car.
Does anyone know the paint code for this cour of clio (my stickers have been rubbed off so cant find it)? Could it be 543?

Ph1 172 + 106 GTI
You should get some oem lights, will smarten it up :) It's bad luck about the crash :( The colour coding should be straight forward as said, it's all in the preparation. If you ever want a hand with anything, just ask. I can fire into Renault tomorrow and find out your paint code and post it in here. Going to price a few things anyway :)

TT QS
That door took a shunt! They are not 172 wheels. And please stick with normal lights and it should look cracking. I like that colour :)

Renault clio 2005
Great Colour Can mod that car nicely. Color coding and lowering would make it look Much better please don`t get lexus rear lights they have been done to death and now have the chav image unfortunately. maybe make car look subtle but sporty and install a nice stereo :)

Renault Clio MK4 RS
Planning on getting a new splitter. Which is the best one? Fabia, Laguna or Megane?

All personal preference mate. The fabia is pretty cheap at £12 and its quite small. Laguna unsure of price and its quite a large splitter and megane im not sure about. Most like the fabia one as its cheap and good sized. a few like the lagunas because of how big they are but some dont like it because it gives off "fake lows" plus if you put coilovers on you will be going through them no tomorrow so if i was you i would go for the fabia one but its upto you :)

Renault Clio 1.2 16V
All personal preference mate. The fabia is pretty cheap at £12 and its quite small. Laguna unsure of price and its quite a large splitter and megane im not sure about. Most like the fabia one as its cheap and good sized. a few like the lagunas because of how big they are but some dont like it because it gives off "fake lows" plus if you put coilovers on you will be going through them no tomorrow so if i was you i would go for the fabia one but its upto you :)
I quite like the look of the megane one. Kinda cambered towards the front.

Renault Clio 1.2 16V
Well, went to the scrappys today and I got this!
8406215284_10031f4c19_c.jpg

You guys were eight, these look soooo much better!!

8405119943_5d25215167_c.jpg

Also received some 501 SMD LED sidelights from http://www.britelightleds.co.uk.
8406235430_8e089a2ed9_c.jpg

On the car:
8405120793_4a69840a2e_c.jpg

Plans for the weekend: Colour code the plastics, Cliosport grill, colour code the badge, install new seats (driver side is still ripped open from air bag) and xenon's.

~David

Renault Clio 1.2 16V
thank god you got rid of those lights aha.

BTW I think your alloys are the "ripspeed ultra" just incase you didnt know what they where :p
Aaahhhhhhh, You mean I'm driving around In a car wearing RIPSPEEDS!?!?!?!?!?!!?
My dignity has just gone lol

Jap Box
Must be old style ones as the new ones have a different logo as far as im aware? Yours are pretty subtle to be honest.

Have you made sure your new door closes right etc too, sill damage does look bad so assume it might not line up right. Also you need a new airbag ECU because yours wont work after having one deploy. Their about £30 odd on ebay :)

Renault Clio 1.2 16V
Must be old style ones as the new ones have a different logo as far as im aware? Yours are pretty subtle to be honest.

Have you made sure your new door closes right etc too, sill damage does look bad so assume it might not line up right. Also you need a new airbag ECU because yours wont work after having one deploy. Their about £30 odd on ebay :)

Yeah, door closes fine. The sill looks worse than it is but I'll take it down tomorrow to get looked at.
I've already had it checked and my local body shop said they're going to attempt to pull it out.

I'll try and get a new airbag ecu as well, might be another trip to the scrappys lol

Jap Box
Yeah, door closes fine. The sill looks worse than it is but I'll take it down tomorrow to get looked at.
I've already had it checked and my local body shop said they're going to attempt to pull it out.

I'll try and get a new airbag ecu as well, might be another trip to the scrappys lol

eBay might be better for the airbag ecu, most cars in the scrappy will have been involved in a smash meaning they would need a new one too :p

Renault Clio 1.2 16V
eBay might be better for the airbag ecu, most cars in the scrappy will have been involved in a smash meaning they would need a new one too :p

Ahh good shout!
I'll just get one off there.

Has anyone found white LED lights to replace the number plate light?

Shame about the crash buddy. Nice to see your sorting it. OEM is the way forward IMO.

Might be wrong but it looks as though you may need some wind in your tyres too mate.

Renault Clio 1.2 16V
the SMD type? theyre all pretty much the same TBH, but that's what ive got on mine :)

I was looking for R10W (245) bulbs.
I lookes on my-car-bulbs.co.uk and thats the type they had listed under Clio registration bulbs. Couldn't find led versions anywhere!

Renault clio 2005
New Rear lights are great imporovement :) Have You got any plans for ice? nice way to make a clio feel great is a great stereo :)

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
Stance my friend, stance.
Looking to get spacers as well, bring the wheels out to the arch a bit.

you can get the same look on springs for a whole lot cheaper... Your choice though as coils really are overkill for a 1.2 unless you planning to change the ride height often? Be careful with the spacers, obviously if you lower it and its wider, the tyre can rub on the arch (i'm sure you have taken this into account already, just thought I would add it in as it doesn't cost me anything :) )

Renault Clio 1.2 16V
you can get the same look on springs for a whole lot cheaper... Your choice though as coils really are overkill for a 1.2 unless you planning to change the ride height often? Be careful with the spacers, obviously if you lower it and its wider, the tyre can rub on the arch (i'm sure you have taken this into account already, just thought I would add it in as it doesn't cost me anything :) )

Its on slrings just now.
Tbh, i'm not that bothered about coilovers just yet. I've a few things on the list first.

Renault Clio 1.2 16V
Got paint today to colour code the car.

Next purchase - camber shims.
Want to add some -ive camber to create a but of stance in the car. How hard are they to fit and if they only come in 1° shims, will fitting on the same side two make the camber 2° over all? (common sense says yes, but thought i'd ask lol)