ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

De-catting my 200

Golf 7.5R & Clio 200
So. Buying a Decat. Cool eh?

Ktec sell them for £66.00 so relatively cheap, its also no welding involved, its a sleeve with some clamps, so easy come MOT time.

Have some questions on whether this is what Im after or not.

Basically, cant afford a full on exhaust system. I want more of a roar, so a decat, no centre silencer and some form of induction kit I'm yet to decide on will do for now.

Im not after power. I dont care about MPG. I just want a nice (semi-loud) sound.

​Will I achieve this through a decat? Or am I just a knob who doesn't understand cars?

Megane dci 130
I would imagine if you'd decat and remove the centre silencer it would sound awsome. Do it and find out!

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
it will be louder, but it WILL have a flat spot which you'll struggle to have mapped out.

You will have to cut the cat off the original system, so re-fitting for MOT isn't as simple as you might think

Golf 7.5R & Clio 200
it will be louder, but it WILL have a flat spot which you'll struggle to have mapped out.

You will have to cut the cat off the original system, so re-fitting for MOT isn't as simple as you might think

I knew it would create a bigger flat spot, that part will be a 'try it and see' if it was horrendous I would remove it.

http://www.k-tecracing.com/show_product.asp?id=2662

​Thats the one, I was under the impression the clamps that hold on the de cat after cutting the cat off, would hold the cat on come MOT time? Or am I way off?

Suzuki Jimny
Ask Gez172, he did his last weekend. I wouldn't remove the centre silencer too, sounds stupidly loud on the YouTube videos.

Golf 7.5R & Clio 200

KTEC say "Comes complete with sleeve adapter which will also allow the standard catalytic converter to be refitted at any time. The decat pipe also have a lambda boss fitted to allow you to fit the standard lambda sensor."

Seems quite expensive for a decat no? I paid £45 quid for mine and that was delivered from Milltek.

It will make it louder though yes. Potentially quite droney on the motorway though.

Golf 7.5R & Clio 200
Seems quite expensive for a decat no? I paid £45 quid for mine and that was delivered from Milltek.

It will make it louder though yes. Potentially quite droney on the motorway though.

Don't really ever have a need to go on motorways, so that shouldn't be an issue. Im assuming its more expensive because its a newer car? (Not meant snobbishly, just only logic I can think of)

gez 172

ClioSport Club Member
  Defender 110
Hi all,

ive recently had my 200 decatted. Bought the K-Tec decat. Best money spent IMO.
The 200 has a drone from standard at 70 mph, which was quite annoying. It's not there anymore! Result. So it's actually quieter on a run now, if your sitting at the same speed.

Car sounds amazing, and it's perfect all round. Quiet on tick over (as standard) then under load, it sounds lovely, sounds like the car should have been standard for a hot hatch, just nice and crisp.

its not as simple as K-Tec make out, I went to fit it myself, then once under the car realised it wasn't a straight swap.
Quick book in at prospeed, 1 hour there, job done.

Flat Spot: Yes, there is more of a flat spot, but I hardly notice it. Doesn't bother me in the slightest.
The car is more free revving at the higher rpm too

Do it, you'll love it!

106GTI / NovaC20LET
I always lol at people going on about the flat spot created by a decat, the entire rev range before 5k is flat lol. If you don't want a low end flat spot don't buy a clio, people seem to forget these cars need revving. Either cruise it or drop a cog or 2 :)

Ps, get a decat great mod for the cash, improved response, sound and top end grunt.

gez 172

ClioSport Club Member
  Defender 110
It's funny how it affects each car so differently. Can hardly notice it on mine

172 Cup & Mini C 1.6
Do it Ryan

Ull have to get it mapped though. And get the new KTR ind kit. Car will sound the nuts

I always lol at people going on about the flat spot created by a decat, the entire rev range before 5k is flat lol. If you don't want a low end flat spot don't buy a clio, people seem to forget these cars need revving. Either cruise it or drop a cog or 2 :)

Ps, get a decat great mod for the cash, improved response, sound and top end grunt.

Have you driven a 197/200 with a decat? It's not the same thing as a standard car being a bit flat below 5k.

182, 6r GTi
i fitted my mated 197 with the ktr decat and im 99% sure i had to cut out the original cat top fit it. but there is also a pre cat in the manifold

Golf 7.5R & Clio 200
i fitted my mated 197 with the ktr decat and im 99% sure i had to cut out the original cat top fit it. but there is also a pre cat in the manifold

You have to make a cut before the CAT to fit it yeah, but then I believe *I hope* it comes with clamps (May need to buy from Renault) that you can clamp the CAT back on for MOT's

66 quid for a bit of pipe with a flared end lol. some local exhaust place could probably knock one up for less.

172, Tiguan
Mine has a decatted Miltek and there's still a flat spot at 2 - 2500rpm even after a map. It can catch you off-guard occasionally and that's where it's a pain.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Ask Gez172, he did his last weekend. I wouldn't remove the centre silencer too, sounds stupidly loud on the YouTube videos.

Ed.200 has no centre silencer, and he didn't even know about it! Only looked under his car to fix a blowing exhaust and found there was no centre silencer. I think everything else is standard, and tbh his is the best sounding RS Clio that I've ever heard.

Last edited by a moderator:

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
Mines had the silencer removed, sounds great. Had some fella's at the gym saying yesterday they love the noise it makes.

does the flat spot only happen with 197/200? Ive just bought a de-cat for my 172 will i suffer from any flat spots? I was hoping it would make it a bit more responsive? cheers