ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Deal or No Deal 197 F1!

Elise 111R
Hi guys need a quick response to this tbh.

Now i've been in the haters camp of the 197 since i test drove one of the first batches into the uk.

Felt it was too soft and no improvement on my 182... :eek:

Well test drove a black R27 F1 with lot of options and need to know whether i have got a good deal. So could people say yes or no based on the deal.

The car:

R27 F1 MY07 - 1 owner - 5k on the clock
Black
Climate control
Hands free
Zeons
Recaros

My car:

182 My05 - 2 owners -35k on the clock
Blue with a few marks on it including one wheel
Few months left on tax etc.
Both cup packs.

The deal:

Well they've offered me £8500 for mine and the 197 is £15000 all in so trade up of £6500.

The issues:

• Do i really want the 197 for 3 years?
  • Is black a pain to clean?
  • Is 15k way to much for a F1 197 how much will i loose in that period should i try for a better deal?
  • Will i get annoyed with the high revs at 70? I dont mind noise and only do 15 miles motorway a day so will i be able to live with it?

Please reply as soon as you can going in tomorrow if Im getting it.

Cheers :D

Tom.

Oh anyone got pics of these in black?

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
welll, they have offered 1.5k over for the 182.

so the 197 is about 13.5k imo.

only you can answer the question about whether you will get annoyed with it or if you think it is worth while.

tbh, i'd want a second hand 197 a bit cheaper...

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Seb's right. You know as well as everyone else your car is not worth 8.5k.
They have inflated the price of the 197 to 15k and bumped up the part ex price to make the deal sound good.

TBH, i think 13.5k for a 197 F1 is quite cheap.

I just sold my old one (57 plate, xenons, climate, in black etc) with three hundred miles on it for £15,500.

As a car salesmans point of view, the deal is average. So if it was me, i'd be trying to get the cost to change nearer 5k.

R27 F1 MY07 - 1 owner - 5k on the clock
Black
Climate control
Hands free
Zeons
Recaros

The deal:
offered me £8500 for mine and the 197 is £15000 all in so trade up of £6500.

The issues:
  • Do i really want the 197 for 3 years?
  • Is black a pain to clean?
  • Is 15k way to much for a F1 197 how much will i loose in that period should i try for a better deal?
  • Will i get annoyed with the high revs at 70? I dont mind noise and only do 15 miles motorway a day so will i be able to live with it?
Personaly the R27 is over priced you could get them new for less and with the sales as they are now they should be more willing then again they have ofered a over price fot your car so realy the R27 is being offered to you for £13.5k and to me thats still over priced I personaly wouldn't go for it but I'm cheap and can think of better things to do with nearly £200 a month which is what your looking at paying. Ok the 197 will be woirth more and the 182 needs more services but stll you'll save over a £100 a month ish for keeping the 182.

As for your list only you can decide if your happy to pay.
Black is a apin to keep clean.
You'll loose a fortune in 3 years the cars going to be near 4 years old my guess is it worth £6k if you keep the miles down depends on milage etc.

Ad

MK2 FRS
I think its a decent deal, as said the prices are little all over the place, but the price to change is about right.

I take it this is the one at Sewards in Portsmouth? If so I'd say go for it, as I think it has every option on it, well near enough and looks really tidy.
£8500 is a good trade in on your 182.

The engine on my R27 is really starting to free up now and it's not that noisy on the motorway.

Clio F1 R27
Don't forget that this will probably be a 197 minus the revised gearbox which was introduced in all models built after October 07.

As you were concerned about the high gear ratio's you may want to hold off and try and get one that was built after October 07 as they have better gearing in 5th and 6th and as a result are quieter when cruising.

As you were concerned about the high gear ratio's you may want to hold off and try and get one that was built after October 07 as they have better gearing in 5th and 6th and as a result are quieter when cruising.

The ratios arn't that much different realy though

Elise 111R
Hi guys

Im really in a mix about this?

To Steve the manager said the revised box's came out in week 43 so haven't been delivered to Portsmouth yet. So yep this would be a pre box model.

I want it, as its something different but as it'll be mostly finance i cant just change it next year if i feel like it hence why its a big decision for me.

What i want is something like a 350Z or something similar but cant afford to be running it at 18 - 23 mpg which by the sounds of a thread running on here thats what is being achieved by the R27 F1's!

Im going in tomorrow to have a further inspection i'll report back.

Oh the comment about black not being the best colour i don't know i kinda liked it and with a carbon diffuser it would look brilliant imo.

Cheers guys

Elise 111R
I take it this is the one at Sewards in Portsmouth? If so I'd say go for it, as I think it has every option on it, well near enough and looks really tidy.
£8500 is a good trade in on your 182.

The engine on my R27 is really starting to free up now and it's not that noisy on the motorway.

Hi there

yep it is, sorry didn't read your post. It does have alot of options, can i ask what mpg are you truly getting?

cheers

Tom

Shhh
id have a look what else you can get for £15,000...

then work out if you want a renault thats going to be an endless problem,in and out of dealers etc..

my next car is an audi..and its soon.. :)

Iridium

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Former R27 & Mk1 V6 owner
You'll have to work on the basis of 25mpg (and even that might be pushing it by the sounds of it) - although if you commute at 70 and not the 85 a lot of other people seem to quote you'll maybe squeeze that elusive 30mpg.

It sounds like an 'ok' deal, not a great one, I too would be looking to get the price down to around £5k for the change. As it's a good specced model the residuals of it will stand the test of time a little better - but it's still a Renault that was heavily discounted when new - so don't expect it to hold it's value that well to be honest.

But, all that aside, when you take it out on a Sunday morning for a good kicking down a back road - it'll all be worthwhile :) I'm confident of that, and I drive a Vee normally and have only driven a 197 - once - that's how much I enjoyed my 30 minute thrash hehe.

Dan

Mk1 Eunos Roadster

then work out if you want a renault thats going to be an endless problem,in and out of dealers etc..

So? Audi came 20th out of 26 in the What Car reliability survey this year. That's dire for a 'prestige' manufacturer, and their cars are all heavy and expensive to run. Fair enough, Renault came 25th but they don't claim to make incredibly reliable cars. If you want reliability get a CTR/ATR, because Honda has still never had a single warranty claim on any series of VTEC engine. Audi just can't cut it, i'm afraid.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Why spend 15k on a car that still has the bulk of it's depreciation to do? Buy a V6 at that price, fuel bills will be higher but the lower depreciation will more than offset that. Or a 350z, Golf GTI etc etc.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200

So? Audi came 20th out of 26 in the What Car reliability survey this year. That's dire for a 'prestige' manufacturer, and their cars are all heavy and expensive to run. Fair enough, Renault came 25th but they don't claim to make incredibly reliable cars. If you want reliability get a CTR/ATR, because Honda has still never had a single warranty claim on any series of VTEC engine. Audi just can't cut it, i'm afraid.

Those surveys are flawed, most people have much higher expectations of an Audi than a Honda, so they mark more harshly as a result.

e60 M5 -172- dciheid
guid price to change and nice options on it, however imo the options are pushing the price up by around 1,5k, which is a joke.

The cost to change is reasonable, but i think come next summer you will regret not waiting on a 350z to fit into your price range and wonder why you jumped at changing.

Mk1 Eunos Roadster

Those surveys are flawed, most people have much higher expectations of an Audi than a Honda, so they mark more harshly as a result.

It's simple numbers actually. I'm not saying it's a perfectly accurate survey but there's no ambiguity in that Audi cars have far more warranty claims than Hondas or Toyotas. Not quite as many as Renaults though lol.

If you want reliability get a CTR/ATR, because Honda has still never had a single warranty claim on any series of VTEC engine. Audi just can't cut it, i'm afraid.
Honda arn't that great for problems the VTEC might not fail (although it has) personaly I'd go with the car you want and accept you get good and bad ones I've seen some real wrecks of preium brands and on the other hand some real low reliability image car being built and work superb after being abused there whole lives.

Mk1 Eunos Roadster
Aye, true enough. But as a tool to gauge how likely it is you'll get a good 'un, surveys are a useful guide.

Golf R
as already mentioned, the price on yours is much higher than you could normally realistically get for a trade-in...

it's a good specced car, i absolutely love ours. fuel economy on ours for the last 2 tanks has been a respectable 31mpg... drive it continuously hard and you can expect 26mpg though.

The R27 to me is much different to a normal 197... if you'd like another RS, i'd do it :D

Ad

MK2 FRS
If you want reliability get a CTR/ATR, because Honda has still never had a single warranty claim on any series of VTEC engine. Audi just can't cut it, i'm afraid.
Honda arn't that great for problems the VTEC might not fail (although it has) personaly I'd go with the car you want and accept you get good and bad ones I've seen some real wrecks of preium brands and on the other hand some real low reliability image car being built and work superb after being abused there whole lives.

think the point you are trying to make edde is that there a good and bad examples in any brand no matter how prestige. However, honda generally have a good rep and what helps them is that their dealer network is significantly better than the likes of renault so when owners do suffer problems it doesnt impact on their day to day life as it does with renault, the same can be said of toyota, lexus mercedes etc.

Disco 5 ,Monaro VXR
as said before 15k for a clio is a bit much imo.

you can get some wicked cars for that kind of money.

if it was my money id go for a meg 225 at say 13k and pay the insurance with the rest as being 18 im guessing you are likely to be paying around 1k anyway.

Iridium

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Former R27 & Mk1 V6 owner
Audis used to be well made. Unfortunately, note the words 'used to'. They've 'done a Mercedes'.

Dan

Mk1 Eunos Roadster
It's really the cost to change you should look at, and I reckon you could squeeze it down a bit. It doesn't matter if they bump the price of the 197 up to £1,000,000, as long as they give you £995,000 for your trade in lol.