ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Dear Renault: Reference, New Clio 200 Turbo

Clio 200 Cup
Dear Renault,

I remember seeing the then brand new Clio 197 at the UK Autosport show (must have been 2006 maybe) and I immediately wanted one. I thought it looked fantastic, just right, purposeful, and it had dock-off Brembo brake calipers. SOLD. It was a car I really wanted, but I was still at University and couldn't afford it yet.

Fast forward to 2010, I'm in a position to buy a brand new car so obviously I order a Renault Clio 200 Cup, in French Racing Blue like the first 197 I saw back at the Autosport show. I didn't seriously consider anything else - you'd already won me as a customer because you got the car right and you got the price right. Chuffed to bits, been happy with it ever since.

So then last year I hear about the next new Clio 200. Like everybody else, I had no idea what it was going to look like but the technical specs sounded promising. Hmmm, this could be good. 1.6 Turbo, DSG gearbox (maybe) etc. This has potential. Sod it, if this thing is any good I might just get one.

Then I see the bloody thing. It's a bad version of a Fiesta with a massive Renault diamond badge slapped awkwardly on the front. No Brembos, and speakers in the seats that make engine noises. WHAT THE HELL HAVE YOU DONE? I couldnt bring myself to attend the 'VIP' evening you invited me to.

The new Clio 200T might handle really well. It might stop really well. It might go really well. But it looks like a turd, a really bad attempt at updating a car. Where is the stance? What happened to the 'just right' proportions?
In summary, Watered down and made BLAND. You can't win me over with bigger wheels and some squared off tail pipes because the whole car needs to look right.

Whenever I walk towards my 2010 200, I'm always pleased to see it. Whenever I see another 197 or 200 out on the road or driving past, I notice it. Not just because I've got one, but because they look special. They look like a proper Renault Sport. They look true to the brand. Sadly I don't think this will happen with the new car.

So I dont like the look of the new car, and I have a very forgiving eye for these things. At £22k+ I've got plenty of other options, and most of them are better looking.

But here's the thing Renault. If the 'new Clio 200T' looked brilliant, I'd probably pay £22k for it. But it doesnt, so I won't.

Sorry Renault, but you've cocked this one up. I've been in love with the Renault 5 Turbo, the Renault 5 Maxi, the Phase 1 Clio 172, the 172 Cup, the Clio V6, the 182 Trophy, the Twingo 133, the 197 Cup, and the 200 Cup, I even had a soft spot for a Renault 11 Turbo at one point. I've loved a long line of Renaults in the face of all kinds of competition; and despite an impressive lineage of gearbox faults.

I've owned a string of Clio's; two 1.4's, a 172 Cup and a 200 Cup. I have thoroughly enjoyed all of them.

However, Renault, you've lost me. I'll be keeping my 2010 200 Cup, probably forever. It will become a second car and a weekend toy. A second car to a non-Renault probably, because your cars are ugly now and I don't want one.

Regards,

Kevin

RS6 C7
Good post.

It really is one of the worst cars i have seen in a long time! I think the non RS's may sell but 22k for a poorly made, ugly, 4 door , Automatic "Hot hatch" seems ludicrous.

Clio 200 Cup
There's other options bar ac lol

but fair dos

I think at the time it just came down to the price. The FF interior is a bit snazzyer, and it's amazing how much you miss electric mirrors (manual spazzy nob things in a cup).
If I was buying one again, I'd go FF with the cup pack and maybe Recaro's. The only option I added was the black speedline wheels, really didnt like the raiders at the time.

If they were still in production at the time, I would have gone for the 197 F1 in Yellow/Gold - by far my favourite. Just looks mad, I love it.

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
Looking the way it does, it best handle incredibly. When was the last time RenaultSport made a bad car?

Golf 7.5R & Clio 200
I think at the time it just came down to the price. The FF interior is a bit snazzyer, and it's amazing how much you miss electric mirrors (manual spazzy nob things in a cup).
If I was buying one again, I'd go FF with the cup pack and maybe Recaro's. The only option I added was the black speedline wheels, really didnt like the raiders at the time.

If they were still in production at the time, I would have gone for the 197 F1 in Yellow/Gold - by far my favourite. Just looks mad, I love it.

Thats where I got lucky. My Cup has air con, the speed lines, Recaro's etcetera ectetera.. Second hand too :)

but the new sport does look like a turd.

markerboy2002

East Of England - Norfolk
ClioSport Area Rep
  Liquid Yellow 182
This...I agree with. I can't stand the new looks Renault have decided to go for. As for the speakers in the seats.... that just seems like they couldn't get any noise out of the engine/exhaust and went "I know! we'll just fake it!" For anyone outside the car they won't hear it!

LAME!