ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Death of the MK1

Not a Clio

i just wanted a bigger car.

You dont realise how small they are until you get back into them after driving something else.

Im sure the fastest 1/4 milers (with renault engines lol) on here are mk 1s?? Nothing relevant to the post - just thought I would add the info!!!

Quote: Originally posted by TheJesus on 22 June 2005

hardly lucky really pal, thats just one good point... the car has cost me over 7k in 1.5 years of owning... thats for repairs and cams... the cams I got a very good price on, so basically looking at almost 6k in repairs :eek:
blimey, take your point.....i thought mine had cost a lot at about 1.5k over 1.5 years......you really love your car dont you :D

The Jinx

Quote: Originally posted by dave182 on 22 June 2005
Quote: Originally posted by Justy on 22 June 2005A lot of people seem to think that the most important part of the car is the aircon, the electric everything, the traction control, all the other driving aids. The MK1 clio is too much of a drivers car for them.. you have to put effort in to driving it, you have to learn its limits.......... its not a smooth ride, it rattles, it costs a lot to repair, and they corrode easily....... but for those who can live with that and get over them problems the rewards are..... bloody fantastic!!IMO of course!!! [/QUOTE]I do disagree with this comment about the aircon, the most important part of the car certainly isnt the aircon but if you can get a car that handles and paces the same as one without, why would you choose the one without, you dont have to use it for track days etc, and let me tell you, the weather as it has been this last week it has been invaluable and I couldnt do without it!I wouldnt say the MkI is more of a drivers car, it is just that I know nothing about how cars work and how to fix them and if I had one I wouldnt have a clue what to do when they go wrong!With a 182 I get all the niceties without the hassle of fixing it because I have a 3 yr warranty. That is the reason I wouldnt have a MKI really, my lack of skill when it comes to cars.

Aircons GAF. And having owned a mk2 clio, driven a 172, and owned a valver, the valver does handle better.

Its more "organic." It just feels better to drive. And having a new car and relying on dealerships/others to do the work is fine if youre happy to be ripped off massively.

dk

911 GTS Cab

Quote: Originally posted by Swervin_Mervin on 22 June 2005

Quote: Originally posted by Justy on 22 June 2005

A lot of people seem to think that the most important part of the car is the aircon, the electric everything, the traction control, all the other driving aids.

The MK1 clio is too much of a drivers car for them.. you have to put effort in to driving it, you have to learn its limits..........

its not a smooth ride, it rattles, it costs a lot to repair, and they corrode easily....... but for those who can live with that and get over them problems the rewards are..... bloody fantastic!!

IMO of course!!!
I do disagree with this comment about the aircon, the most important part of the car certainly isnt the aircon but if you can get a car that handles and paces the same as one without, why would you choose the one without, you dont have to use it for track days etc, and let me tell you, the weather as it has been this last week it has been invaluable and I couldnt do without it!

I wouldnt say the MkI is more of a drivers car, it is just that I know nothing about how cars work and how to fix them and if I had one I wouldnt have a clue what to do when they go wrong!

With a 182 I get all the niceties without the hassle of fixing it because I have a 3 yr warranty. That is the reason I wouldnt have a MKI really, my lack of skill when it comes to cars.

Aircons GAF. And having owned a mk2 clio, driven a 172, and owned a valver, the valver does handle better.

Its more "organic." It just feels better to drive. And having a new car and relying on dealerships/others to do the work is fine if youre happy to be ripped off massively.
i cant see how aircon is GAF? If you have got it then you probably wont miss it but as anyone will tell you who has it, they wouldnt do without it a the moment.

I have a cupped 182 and bet it does handle as well as a standard valver.

Not sure how I will be ripped off by a dealer also if it is all warranty work, its free?

As I said though the only real reason I wouldnt have one is becasue I know nothing about fixing cars myself and personally like my refinement and creature comforts as well as great performance and handling.

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member

Quote: Originally posted by Andyvalver on 22 June 2005
Quote: Originally posted by Speiro on 22 June 2005Quote: Originally posted by Justy on 22 June 2005 A lot of people seem to think that the most important part of the car is the aircon, the electric everything, the traction control, all the other driving aids. The MK1 clio is too much of a drivers car for them.. you have to put effort in to driving it, you have to learn its limits.......... its not a smooth ride, it rattles, it costs a lot to repair, and they corrode easily....... but for those who can live with that and get over them problems the rewards are..... bloody fantastic!!IMO of course!!! [/QUOTE]:D Totally AgreeI also agree:)[/QUOTE]

agreed again, i also find that at quite alot of cliosport meet its mainly mark 1s.

The Jinx

Quote: Originally posted by Swervin_Mervin on 22 June 2005Quote: Originally posted by dave182 on 22 June 2005 Quote: Originally posted by Justy on 22 June 2005A lot of people seem to think that the most important part of the car is the aircon, the electric everything, the traction control, all the other driving aids. The MK1 clio is too much of a drivers car for them.. you have to put effort in to driving it, you have to learn its limits.......... its not a smooth ride, it rattles, it costs a lot to repair, and they corrode easily....... but for those who can live with that and get over them problems the rewards are..... bloody fantastic!!IMO of course!!! [/QUOTE]I do disagree with this comment about the aircon, the most important part of the car certainly isnt the aircon but if you can get a car that handles and paces the same as one without, why would you choose the one without, you dont have to use it for track days etc, and let me tell you, the weather as it has been this last week it has been invaluable and I couldnt do without it!I wouldnt say the MkI is more of a drivers car, it is just that I know nothing about how cars work and how to fix them and if I had one I wouldnt have a clue what to do when they go wrong!With a 182 I get all the niceties without the hassle of fixing it because I have a 3 yr warranty. That is the reason I wouldnt have a MKI really, my lack of skill when it comes to cars.[/QUOTE]

Its more "organic." It just feels better to drive. And having a new car and relying on dealerships/others to do the work is fine if youre happy to be ripped off massively.[/QUOTE]<SPAN class=370143214-22062005><FONT face=Arial size=2>i cant see how aircon is GAF? If you have got it then you probably wont miss it but as anyone will tell you who has it, they wouldnt do without it a the moment.</SPAN><SPAN class=370143214-22062005></SPAN> <SPAN class=370143214-22062005><FONT face=Arial size=2>I have a cupped 182 and bet it does handle as well as a standard valver.</SPAN><SPAN class=370143214-22062005></SPAN> <SPAN class=370143214-22062005><FONT face=Arial size=2>Not sure how I will be ripped off by a dealer also if it is all warranty work, its free?</SPAN><SPAN class=370143214-22062005></SPAN> <SPAN class=370143214-22062005><FONT face=Arial size=2>As I said though the only real reason I wouldnt have one is becasue I know nothing about fixing cars myself and personally like my refinement and creature comforts as well as great performance and handling. </SPAN>

Ive had CC on my Xsara and air con on my dci. I dont miss it one bit. I prefer to open the glass bits instead.

It might not handle better technically but its a more involved experience. Its fair enough if you arent technically minded. I knew nowt when I bought mine but part of the reason I bought it was to learn stuff and Ive enjoyed every knuckle scrape since. Honest.:)

dk

911 GTS Cab

Quote: Originally posted by Justy on 22 June 2005

A lot of people seem to think that the most important part of the car is the aircon, the electric everything, the traction control, all the other driving aids.

The MK1 clio is too much of a drivers car for them.. you have to put effort in to driving it, you have to learn its limits..........

its not a smooth ride, it rattles, it costs a lot to repair, and they corrode easily....... but for those who can live with that and get over them problems the rewards are..... bloody fantastic!!

IMO of course!!!
I do disagree with this comment about the aircon, the most important part of the car certainly isnt the aircon but if you can get a car that handles and paces the same as one without, why would you choose the one without, you dont have to use it for track days etc, and let me tell you, the weather as it has been this last week it has been invaluable and I couldnt do without it!

I wouldnt say the MkI is more of a drivers car, it is just that I know nothing about how cars work and how to fix them and if I had one I wouldnt have a clue what to do when they go wrong!

With a 182 I get all the niceties without the hassle of fixing it because I have a 3 yr warranty. That is the reason I wouldnt have a MKI really, my lack of skill when it comes to cars.

<SPAN class=370143214-22062005><FONT face=Arial size=2>i cant see how aircon is GAF? If you have got it then you probably wont miss it but as anyone will tell you who has it, they wouldnt do without it a the moment.</SPAN>
<SPAN class=370143214-22062005></SPAN>
<SPAN class=370143214-22062005><FONT face=Arial size=2>I have a cupped 182 and bet it does handle as well as a standard valver.</SPAN>
<SPAN class=370143214-22062005><FONT face=Arial size=2>Not sure how I will be ripped off by a dealer also if it is all warranty work, its free?</SPAN>
<SPAN class=370143214-22062005><FONT face=Arial size=2>As I said though the only real reason I wouldnt have one is becasue I know nothing about fixing cars myself and personally like my refinement and creature comforts as well as great performance and handling. </SPAN>

Ive had CC on my Xsara and air con on my dci. I dont miss it one bit. I prefer to open the glass bits instead.

It might not handle better technically but its a more involved experience. Its fair enough if you arent technically minded. I knew nowt when I bought mine but part of the reason I bought it was to learn stuff and Ive enjoyed every knuckle scrape since. Honest.:)
thats a good point, it would be a good way to learn!

172 M69 eater

i jus simply like the look of the mark 1 loads more than the mk2, mainly i think cus 16vs are pretty fast and have been got hold of by young lads with death wishes (not like the enthusiasts on thsi site who keep em mint) alot of em have been written off

Vee dub

Quote: Originally posted by Bazzeray on 23 June 2005

Quote: Originally posted by TomS on 22 June 2005

Yeah we have a few at our South West Meets
there were 3 of us at the last south central meet! normally its only me, lol

I said South West not South Central ;)

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC

I love mk1s - could quite easily get another newer clio but to be honest I dont like them all that much (apart from racing blue 182s).

Just been to the scrappy and picked up a few bits for the valver - or at least tried to - no-one holds them anymore - there were 10 mk2s to every rn/rt on there - and not a sniff of a valver or willy!

Don know what to make of that either no-one can be arsed fixing them or theyre so rare no-one wants to give em up!