ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

deciding whether to sell my 172

2005 Impreza WRX STI

what does everyone think? 2001 y reg,48k fsh,immaculate! 17 superleggeras coilovers full exhaust and de cat, mk2 side strips all colour coded n handles, 2.5k stereo, mk2 rear lights, silvervisions.......

just fancy a change really but dont no how much to ask for it and what to get next. im only 21 and cant get insured on ctr or scooby or anything so a bit stuck really!!

any ideas??

Paul

1995 Mondeo Speed Machine

lol, Im in the same boat mate. Not sure how much yours is worth. Maybe 6k-6.5k private?? The arrival of the 182 seems to have sh*t on the value of the 172s tbh.

You should be able to sell the wheels and suspension separate to raise some cash.

RS Megane DCi 175

Try driving a lesser spec clio for a while, thatll make you appreciate your clio that much more! I think you should keep it!

A well built VW

Quote: Originally posted by MattT on 27 March 2005

Try driving a lesser spec clio for a while, thatll make you appreciate your clio that much more! I think you should keep it!
Ill swap you my 1.4 8v for a few weeks if you want to see how the other half live

MMmmmm lovely motor

E91 M Sport

Keep it - like you say, you wont be able to get more performance yet, and thats a nice looking mk1 - and dare I say it, its much rarer than the hundreds of mk2s you see around.

320d

Keep it mate unless youve prepared to loose serious money

172s are worth nothing and very hard to sell at the minute as im trying to sell mine with no luck

Id say selling a modded one will be even harder because of the narrower market even though it is a stunning and tastefully modded example

2005 Impreza WRX STI

ye im beggining to think its not worth it. if i keep it for about 2 years, ill make the milage below average because i hardly drive it and wont seem like ive lost as much money when it comes to selling! apart from them deepreciating for another 2 years!:)

TDI tyre shreader

I cant believe everyone sells their clios so cheaply, who is selling them at the end of the day? we control the market, valvers will end up being more expensive at this rate.

Ford F-150 5.4 V8

im tryin to sell mine 53 reg 8K miles an still only worth half what i payed 18 months ago! Its crap! Now is not the time to sell a 172!

nice MT yard by the way

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member

I looked at one almost exactly like that when I was after a 172 a month or so ago!

was at a dealer, silver y plate, coilovers, magnex exhaust, 17 inch alloys etc etc, 21k on the clock and they had it up for £6395.

didnt buy it though as it was too chavved for my liking, yous does look better.

Want will you get if you sell it thou?

I am assuming you want more power, but you have said yaself you cant get insured on one, so I would just keeo it mate.

Id not sell that car unless you had a really good reason.

Ive sold two cars that I really miss - the Williams because I just fancied a change and the Fiat Coupe 20V Turbo because a 172 was more practical for me.

Dont sell a car you really love unless you are really sure.

2005 Impreza WRX STI

ive just cleaned it again and i love it to bits!lol

i just fancy a change! the longest ive had a car for is about 8months! i may have to make an exception this time!

Quote: Originally posted by Clarkie172 on 28 March 2005

ive just cleaned it again and i love it to bits!lol

i just fancy a change! the longest ive had a car for is about 8months! i may have to make an exception this time!
Ive always been a nightmare for keepin cars. Had 4 last year. Wouldnt be too bad if i made money on em, but i always lose out. Thats why i bought a new un, to try and make me keep it till its paid for. Fingers crossed ;)

Yaris Hybrid

Looks well nice that car. I still like the styling of the Mk1 172.

I would keep it as the mods you have done will have reduced the value to the point where it aint worth selling. I am the same though. I am 29 and the longest I have owned any car is 15 months! Planning on keeping this one 3 years. I think because of insurance costs and the fear they have been abused, these RS models dont resale for a price that realistically reflects the true value of the car.

If you do sale that car you are gonna have to add a fair bit of your own money to the cash you get for the car if you want anything even remotely close to the 172s performance. Unless you get something twice the age.

Astra 1.9cdti XP

Why cant you get insured on a CTR? Same insurance group...mine was exactly the same to insure as my current 172, £442 to be exact.

2005 Impreza WRX STI

ive got 6 points and aged 21....cant get insured fully comp on any performance car and could only get insured on mine 3rd party f&f. if the value of my vehicle exceeds 7500 ie type r...i need fully comp!:(

points come off in a year

Titanium 182

just keep it mate!

stop thinking about cars and things to do with them, start living life abit more and no being broke spending loads on them!

keep it until u can get insured on something else in a year, when the points come off!

Titanium 182

not anymore!

not worth the hastle and the amount of money u lose on each one! esp when u get newer ones

Titanium 182

Quote: Originally posted by JillyB on 29 March 2005

Keep it, youd have to pay twice its value to get something half as good as you have already.
true!

for the money theres not much that will go as well out of the box! it looks wicked now and just wants to be looked after and left

I just bought an identica; one to yours silver Y reg 172 minus mods. I was searching for a while to find the right one. I paid £6k for it it only has 30k miles on it though, frsh etc etc. I must admit when I was looking I saw lots of modifed ones e.g new wheels, exhausts ... I avoided these as I wanted a standard one.

Yours does look very nice I just think the modifications may not increase the value of the sale, if you do sell it maybe worth your while to make it standard again.

By the way if I was you I would keep it, as someone else mentioned there arent mainy good example of the mk1s around.

Clarkie, as you know i have just sold my mk1 172 for £4211. I could of held onto it for a few more months and maybe got £5k but we wanted a quick sale so it went 1st time of advertising and never even made it to autotrader..

Mine was like yours, Gaz coilovers, 17" Super Ls, Magnex exhaust, Viper IK, carbon fibre bonnet and tried to sell it twice on autotrader without a single call and on here for ages.

So back to standard it went. I then sold everytyhing off of it and got the money all in that i was looking for so didnt mind losing a bit on my final sale.

Good luck with any choice you make mate.

longest i have had a car is 6 months and it looks like the 182 is about to break that record............Unless flo lets me buy a Esc Cossie:D