ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Dephaser, is it on its way out?

172 cup
Hi all,
Struggling to work out if it's my dephaser or possibly something else

it never makes a noise when it's cold only once she's been for a run, on idle it sounds like a bag of spanners going around in my engine, as soon as I touch the throttle the noise stops?

From what I can tell the cambelt has been done (around 60k) but no sign of dephaser (car now on 75k)

thanks in advance

172 cup
Thought so, any ideas how long I have to change it, and if it completely sh*ts itself will I screw up my timing or will it just die?

thanks

renault clio 1.4 16v
get it checked as soon as possible, however they have been known to last even with damage, if it does kill itself though, the results will be the same as if u had a snapped cambelt... there are lots of threads on dephaser problems, have a read... another thing it could be is the cambelt tensioner... i know mine rattles at idle wen its warmed up, not a constant almost buzz rattle like the dephaser, more a intermittent ticking sound... some problem with the belts in the cambelt kits beeing slightly incorect length or the tensioner not beeing set properly.

172 cup
Ok, I have done cam belts before but I don't fancy it on the 172, what to change why it's off, dephaser cambelt kit aux belt?? Also do I do the water pump?

FF Racing Blue 182
I had my belt kits replaced almost a year ago and today I've noticed a noise that seems dephaser like, is it advisable to replace the dephaser now?