ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Dephaser or Aux belt rattle???

Ph1 & Ph2 172
Picked up a project 172 last night. Seller said dephaser needs replacing as chatters like a diesel on tickover. The rattle sounded like it came from that area so the deal was done. On looking at it today I can have it ticking over and it rattles but as soon as i turn the steering wheel the rattle disappears! Let go of the wheel and back it comes. Im now thinking its Aux belt/idlers related?? Any ideas would. Cheers

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Easiest way to confirm/deny the theory would be to take the aux belt off and briefly run the vehicle when it's warm to see if the noise is there still. If it is then you've busted your own theory but if it's not then have a good tug on things like the alternator, water pump and PAS pump to see if there's any abnormal movement in the bearings.

Mick

PS: Don't run it for too long without an aux belt as the water pump won't be turning

Ph1 & Ph2 172
Thanks Mick, I'll get my spanners man to do it as I'm a pen pusher!! Does my theory sound likely to you? Not sure how steering could effect it if its the dephaser? Thanks for your trusted input

Last edited:
  Clio200 EDC Lux
On my meg the dephaser was knackered it was only noisy for when started cold and sounded rough as hell. From what you have described its not the dephaser.

Ph1 & Ph2 172
I was sure it was dephaser as no rattle over 2k and drives ok but since the link to the steering im starting to think its Aux related. I hope it is as previous owner had cam belt replaced 4k ago and a cheap aux and tensioner change will keep the budget right down and make it a proper bargain motor.

loggyboy

ClioSport Club Member
My olf 172 had a rattle that I assumed was a dephaser, turned out to be the water pump, didnt realise until the bearing destroyed itself and all the water emptied out of it.
Sadly 2 months later the dephaser did start rattling!

dan's cast offs.
this made some odd noises to say the least...

IMAG2693_zps7252bc8a.jpg