ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Dephaser pulley/compression

Megane 250
I've recently bought a clio 200, but its down on compression.

Its also got a rattle on over run and fairly flat in the rev range, so I'm assuming it's not been timed up correctly.

My question is, will it not being timed correctly snd the dephaser pulley failing, cause low compression?

Cylinder 1 being the drivers side and then across to gearbox.

Cyl 1 - 150psi
Cyl 2 - 130psi
Cyl 3 - 120psi
Cyl 4 - 130psi

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

robzracing

ClioSport Club Member
I’m short, no. You won’t get low compression through bad timing UNLESS it’s so far out that the valves have touched the pistons and bent.
The fact that the compression is uneven across cylinders is also not a good sign.
Does the engine run? Any signs of burning oil?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Megane 250
I’m short, no. You won’t get low compression through bad timing UNLESS it’s so far out that the valves have touched the pistons and bent.
The fact that the compression is uneven across cylinders is also not a good sign.
Does the engine run? Any signs of burning oil?

Runs and drives ok. No oil being used.

It's flat through the revs and there's a rattle on over run.

Just not sure what it could be. I have got a video of the noise if that helps.

robzracing

ClioSport Club Member
Have you checked for fuel in the coolant or mayonnaise in the cam cover. Possible a head gasket problem but unlikely.
I would definitely check the timing and perhaps disregard the compression test.
Have you had any over Rev or missed gear incidents recently? This can cause timing to slip and occasionally valves might slightly kiss a piston bending a valve very slightly but not enough to be a catastrophic failure.

Megane 250
Have you checked for fuel in the coolant or mayonnaise in the cam cover. Possible a head gasket problem but unlikely.
I would definitely check the timing and perhaps disregard the compression test.
Have you had any over Rev or missed gear incidents recently? This can cause timing to slip and occasionally valves might slightly kiss a piston bending a valve very slightly but not enough to be a catastrophic failure.

I only bought it Wednesday lol done about 100 miles and thought it didjt feel right but was in my head coming from a faster car. But had a friend drive it and they said nope mot right.

No signs or coolant or HG failure. I got a garage looking at ut over the next week or so. Was just wondering whether I'm looking at a new engine or will get away with belts etc

It's the tapping that concerns me mostly.

Megane 250
Fair enough. Hope you’ve got a good garage nearby to sort it. Assuming you’re not doing it yourself.

Depends what it is tbh, I can do with with my dad. But gotna 4 month old and work a lot of hours, so will see! Cheers for the advice