ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Dephaser pulley gone?

Artic 182
My engine is making a slight rattle/knock on idle but phases out as the revs climb. The noise could be decribed as a faint modern diesel sound?

Whats the score with these pulleys, do they just give up? as i really cant afford another belt change.... :(

Renault Clio 1.2 16v
Standard with all clios i think mate, mine sounds like a diesel aswell, but if it does get increasingly louder then it possibly needs changing, i think its easier to do when doing the cambelt aswell iirc.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Dephaser will be not eveident when cold (well on mine) then when up to temp will rattle like fook. I dont actually think there are any problems short term, never heard of a dephaser failure as such. Just sound worse than they are.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Dephaser will be not eveident when cold (well on mine) then when up to temp will rattle like fook. I dont actually think there are any problems short term, never heard of a dephaser failure as such. Just sound worse than they are.

My 172 dephaser failed bigstyle!

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
According to Kev it wasnt the dephaser?

kev from kevdown said:
DrRollos broken pulley was the exhaust cam pulley not the DEPHASER ;)

Last edited:

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
I *think* the dephaser pully is the one at the front of the engine, and the exhaust pully is the rear one (makes sense to me as the mani is on the rear). Apparently yours sheared clean off!!!

Artic 182
Yes Dephaser is at the front. Just wondered on whether it will progressively get worse before its dangerous?

M

mini-valver

How long ago were your belts done? If its not long ago, just throw a cambelt on it when you change the dephaser. No need to change any pulleys if they were done not long ago.

Vw caddy tdi
Lucky my rattle at approx 3.5k was my alternator pulley/bearing. Could try dropping aux belt off to check alt first.

Artic 182
The knock is now very loud... It is coming from dephaser as far as I can tell, it only happens on idle but for some reason a slight amount of load on the steering wheel will elminate it?! This isn't due to revs dropping either...

Ideas?!

Lionel Richie
i took a dephaser apart a while ago, its not going to fall apart, if it is knocking don't worry too much about it

i'm still not 100% on why they make a noise, i'm putting it down to lack of oil changes, anyone else had one apart?

Lots of Alfas
Ive heard it said a few times that it tends to happen on cars with non frequent oil changes. Its a common thing on the 1.6 (k4m) engine aswel. The knocking apparantly is caused by the inner section of the dephaser wearing, and then shifting back and forth against the resistance of the camshaft and valve springs.

Artic 182
It's a disturbingly loud knock which is the reason for my concern. Figured if the dephaser gives up so does the cam belt... I clearly don't understand this pulley as I thought it was external device thus making oil changes irrelevant?

How much are they does anyone know?

Artic 182
And can anyone explain the link to my steering? My wheels are very jumpy when manouvering and the knocking can be eliminated with certain steering wheel movements?the sound certainly sounds like it's NOT coming from the pump....

Lots of Alfas
Are you turning the steering on idle?? When turning I think the ecu controls the revs via a pressure sensor, I think if the pump needs more pressure the revs raise to turn the pump quicker, turn the wheel and see if it affects the revs. Is the engine knocking definitely coming from the top of the engine??

Artic 182
It certainly sounds like it's coming from the top pulley. The revs don't seem to be the cause of it stopping. Very odd

Ph1
It's a disturbingly loud knock which is the reason for my concern. Figured if the dephaser gives up so does the cam belt... I clearly don't understand this pulley as I thought it was external device thus making oil changes irrelevant?

How much are they does anyone know?

IIRC theres only be one case reported on here of a dephaser giving up to the point of screwing up the engine and that was basically a pulley collapsing which i dont believe was connected to the dephaser noise thing anyway.

Chances are you'd end up changing the dephaser long before it would give up, if it ever would, as the noise would do your head in and sounds worse than it actually is.

Artic 182
Can anyone explain the oil change connection? Id like to learn more about the pulley before I set about changing it.

Lionel Richie
i can't actually see how one could collapse, its verging on the impossible TBH!

i'll take pics of a disassembled one so you can see for yourself

PH1 172 Sport
i can't actually see how one could collapse, its verging on the impossible TBH!

i'll take pics of a disassembled one so you can see for yourself

From what we saw when you had it apart theres no way its going to fail

Ph1
If its oil starve that causes the noise rather than replacing could it not be lubed up or is it actually something within which wears?

PH1 172 Sport
If its oil starve that causes the noise rather than replacing could it not be lubed up or is it actually something within which wears?

Needs freds pictures really then it'll be reasonably easy to see how it works

Ph1
Heres the rear side of the pulley to keep you guessing as to whats inside lol

DSC06600.jpg

Monaco Blue 172
put my car in to get belts done yest at local stealers, they've said whoever did the job last time bodged it (unlikely as it was Carltons in Exmouth), something about a cross-threaded bolt and leaking dephaser (?!) and now they have to keep it x days to get parts which are on back order and it's going to cost ME a further £292. And they can't even give me a courtesy car :(

Silent_Scone

ClioSport Club Member
  Evo 5 RS
Bloke I know in parts in our local dealer seemed to think it was down to irregular oil changes. My original one was on 86k and sounded spot on

put my car in to get belts done yest at local stealers, they've said whoever did the job last time bodged it (unlikely as it was Carltons in Exmouth), something about a cross-threaded bolt and leaking dephaser (?!) and now they have to keep it x days to get parts which are on back order and it's going to cost ME a further £292. And they can't even give me a courtesy car :(

you're crazy :)

so what's the totalling its costing you at the dealers? 1.5k?