ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Detailing Chat & Questions Thread

Matt e

ClioSport Club Member
i got my hose for my karcher from here, its like the heavy duty ones at car washes

leeds2592

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
i got my hose for my karcher from here, its like the heavy duty ones at car washes

I'm leaning towards getting mine from there as they seem cheaper than qwashers.

Have you got the quick release?

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
Recently picked up a nearly new car, but living in a flat makes it challenging (impossible) to clean it myself.
Been looking at some proper detailing companies (not your corner hand car wash places) for a proper clean/detailpolish etc.
Anyone used any before in the London area? (Mobile or otherwise) Or have any horror tales/recommendations?

Just get Optimum No Rinse

leeds2592

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
On bought myself 2 litres of Bilt hamber auto wheels and 5 litres of auto foam today.

I’ve used them both before but after washing both our cars today I’ve decided that they’re both top of their game.

Do you find the auto foam doesn't 'stick' for very long?

I've been using it for a while. Use it in the lance or in a pressure sprayer. When used in the lance, it goes on lovely and thick but a few minutes and it's pretty much all gone off the car. Doesn't give me time to go round with a brush for the fiddly bits. Wondering if it's settings I've got my lance on or the foam itself.

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
Auto foam is really good but doesn't give you that satisfaction of thick clingy foam. It does clean really well though.

I was going to buy auto wheels but got loads of Turtle Wax Redline cheap. It's on my list..

Sunglasses_Ron

ClioSport Admin
Do you find the auto foam doesn't 'stick' for very long?

I've been using it for a while. Use it in the lance or in a pressure sprayer. When used in the lance, it goes on lovely and thick but a few minutes and it's pretty much all gone off the car. Doesn't give me time to go round with a brush for the fiddly bits. Wondering if it's settings I've got my lance on or the foam itself.

yeah it definitely doesn’t cling on as long as other snow foams I’ve used but it’s cleaning power is still infinitely better than anything else. I don’t think it’s your Lance as it came out thin on mine too.

Sunglasses_Ron

ClioSport Admin
Auto foam is really good but doesn't give you that satisfaction of thick clingy foam. It does clean really well though.

I was going to buy auto wheels but got loads of Turtle Wax Redline cheap. It's on my list..

I think I paid about £12 for a litre of auto wheels and used a about 500ml doing both cars. But the wheels on both cars were VERY soiled as they’ve not been washed for yonks.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Yeah its not a clinger, its a cleaner. autobrite made the foamiest foam around, didn't clean worth a f**k though yet people loved it.

Sir Nancy Flowers

ClioSport Club Member
  M140i
I agree with the above regarding BH Autofoam. It does tend to slide off and 'split' quite quickly especially on a heavily waxed or slick car. Not generally a problem as @Sunglasses_Ron is exactly right, it cleans so damn well. I will say this though, in the middle of summer when its hot and I must wash the car, ill chuck in a little bit of some other snow foam that clings better and the combo is really good. I quite often chuck a small amount of AG Polar Foam (or whatever its called) and that makes it cling a bit longer.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Autofoam cleans your car. The rest are mostly window dressing in my testing. Although in fairness, they do still help drag some dirt but nothing a good pressure washer doesn't do anyway.

Pump sprayer is still underrated. But I prefer the extra stage of autofoam via the Lance and then mitt wash. Even if it was a quickie you could autofoam rinse and head out. Still makes a big difference.

leeds2592

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
Think some people have kind of misinterpreted what I said. I'm not arsed for the all show no clean snowfoam, it'd just be a bit better if it lasted a bit longer so it'd give you time to properly go round the car with a brush in all the fiddly areas without having to rush.

Nice to know its not just me though.

I'm still undecided about lance vs sprayer. Was using the sprayer as its much quicker and easier, however, not sure if I over diluted it but I did find that, even when I blasted it with the pressure washer, it still left a greasy coating. However that obviously came off when you properly washed it.

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
What sprayer do you guys use?

I bought one of these. Honestly need to pump it atleast 200 times for the car....

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
Seen a fair few videos on these sprayers especially the IK ones, I can’t be bothered pumping the sprayer that many times.

Sir Nancy Flowers

ClioSport Club Member
  M140i
Think some people have kind of misinterpreted what I said. I'm not arsed for the all show no clean snowfoam, it'd just be a bit better if it lasted a bit longer so it'd give you time to properly go round the car with a brush in all the fiddly areas without having to rush.

Nice to know its not just me though.

I'm still undecided about lance vs sprayer. Was using the sprayer as its much quicker and easier, however, not sure if I over diluted it but I did find that, even when I blasted it with the pressure washer, it still left a greasy coating. However that obviously came off when you properly washed it.

You might find that what I said works. Its what I do when I want to give the car a deep clean and get a brush into all the intricate areas. Normal dilution of foam doesnt tend to last long enough for me to fart-arse around. Mix a bit of the 'shaving foam' style snow in with it and it bulks out the foaming time and saves it running off and drying on the car :)

leeds2592

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
You might find that what I said works. Its what I do when I want to give the car a deep clean and get a brush into all the intricate areas. Normal dilution of foam doesnt tend to last long enough for me to fart-arse around. Mix a bit of the 'shaving foam' style snow in with it and it bulks out the foaming time and saves it running off and drying on the car :)

Ta mate. I'll give it a go!

andy_coops

ClioSport Club Member
  172, VRS, Clio 5
If it’s any help Autofoam needs to be diluted to a rate specific to the litres/minute flow rate for your pressure washer. I fannied about measuring then settled on 300ml of foam topped up with about 700ml of water. This creates a reasonably thick foam with dwell time of up to 10 minutes and obscene cleaning power. Rarely need a dedicated bug remover now and no discernible impact on coatings either which is a bonus.

I didn’t get on with it through a pump sprayer - personal preference I guess.

Been my go to foam for 5-6 years now.

rs 1an

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
We use Autofoam and Prokleen black cherry with a Prokleen bottle with the red nozzle for thick foam. You only need about an inch at the bottom for both. A more powerful washer helps as does nice cool damp mornings. Reset made bubbles in a bucket and merino mitt washes are best with a fibre mitt for your lows.

rs 1an

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
EE55169A-A419-44DB-9B31-5A72BC212243.jpeg

We also use multi x and autowheel on wheels and arches prior to foaming

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
A month or two ago I washed my Dads car and noticed after a few days all over the paint it’s sticky to the touch. Only thing I can think of for the first time I partly used a hydrophobic shampoo and non hydrophobic shampoo mixed together. I washed it again with snow foam and hand washed it 2 bucket system with the normal hydrophobic shampoo and it’s better but it’s still sticky in some way. Anyone have any ideas how to fully remove the sticky ness or come across this before

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
Also on the last wash I did the car with Iron fallout remover too. The car is parked tight right next to a tree would the cause it?

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
Sounds like tree sap to me.

Maybe it's been partially washed off or spread around the car as you were washing it.

Do you have any citrus pre wash or something to try all over the car to help break down the sap before washing?

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
Sounds like tree sap to me.

Maybe it's been partially washed off or spread around the car as you were washing it.

Do you have any citrus pre wash or something to try all over the car to help break down the sap before washing?

had a look round his car again this afternoon, it’s sticky on the side wheres the trees, bushes Including the bonnet. The other side isn’t sticky at all. I do have some Gtechniq W5 citrus all purpose cleaner, I presume it’s the same stuff? ive never used the stuff for all of the car before. I have the stuff in a spray bottle, could you use the stuff in a foam lance or is it not designed for that?

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182

Yeah that should do it.

Mixed 1:10 and spray on and leave to dwell for a few minutes, then rinse off and wash as normal with a plain shampoo.

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
Yeah that should do it.

Mixed 1:10 and spray on and leave to dwell for a few minutes, then rinse off and wash as normal with a plain shampoo.
Awesome thanks for that, I’ll give it a go next time I wash it. Strange thing is, cars been parked there for about 2 years and I’ve washed his car almost every time and only come across this issue past month or so

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
Awesome thanks for that, I’ll give it a go next time I wash it. Strange thing is, cars been parked there for about 2 years and I’ve washed his car almost every time and only come across this issue past month or so

Ahh right that's weird.

Let us know how you get on.