ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Details about HPI checks ??

Track 172cup
I'm hopefully going to be buying a 182 in the next few days so i'm wanting to air on the side of caution and get it hpi'd even though the garage says its clear (they dont have proof)

entered the reg number into the hpi and rac bit at the start so it could pull up the car details before you go ahead with the check and it came up with this

'No descriptive data is held by DVLA for registration number'

anyone had this before or have an idea what its all about ? i'm just curious as i don't want to pay £20 for them to turn round and say we don't have any info on the car (which obv isnt good at all and somethings majorly wrong)

i'm thinking the only way forward is to get the VIN number of the car from the garage and try and sort it that way

any info would be much appreciated as its all sounding a bit dodgy to me, i just hope theres a simple explanation to why its like this :S

Black Gold with cup packs
you should get the vin number always before doing a hpi check anyway fella.
Go to the garage and ask them to pay for a HPI from the company of your choice prior to purchasing it, times are hard and if they are confident in the car that much they will do it as an incentive in order to get the sale from you.

Track 172cup
yeh cheers mate i will, i'm hoping its something innocent but i cant see what, he has the V5 for it so i'll check with him in the morning

sites like confused.com isnt bringing up details of the car either so knowhere has details of that reg..................strange

Titanium Clio 182
one possibility if there seems to be no info on the car is it might be an import.
quick call to Renault customer services could confirm this one way or the other from the VIN.
0800 0723372.

Track 172cup
cheers Stunty i'll give them a ring in the morning when their open

any differences in the import to the uk version that would be noticable ?

Dynamique Flamer
Sounds a bit dodgy if they dont have proof as normally a dealer would make sure the car was checked before they buy it! The dealer we bought mine off of showed us the document and gave us the numbers to do our own HPI as well.

Titanium Clio 182
cheers Stunty i'll give them a ring in the morning when their open

any differences in the import to the uk version that would be noticable ?

if it turns out to be an import, one difference may be it doesn't come with a factory alarm. another could be a slight, or not so slight, difference in overall spec. you'll also get some (daft) insurers either loading a potential premium, or refusing to insure it. usually this can be down to a degree of ignorance. can be talked through to resolve normally.

Track 172cup
yeh thats how its sounding to me aswell kerry, i'll grill him in the morning about it lol

yeh the insurance companies will have a field day i'm sure, any excuse ! found that out when i was looking into jap imports a while back

it has an alarm but i'm not sure if its a factory fitted alarm or not, the key fob was just plain black ?!?

Track 172cup
well hopefully its just that then and not an import

cheers for all the info its given me a few things to go on and find out the truth about it today

bit weird about it not reverting back to the original plate though as surely as it was registered on that plate and then switched back to it that it would still recognise it ?? you would think it would be the private plate it wouldnt recognise in the hpi check ??

Nimbus 197
Bah, when in doubt, walk away.

When I have removed private plates in the past they haven't gone back to the original plate mind.

Track 172cup
panic over haha

just spoke to Renault and it was registered as a uk car, its had a private plate at some point so thats why the details are not showing up with the original reg

where does this leave me with getting an hpi check done though, would i need to get the private plate reg to be able to carry one out or should they still be able to find it from the original reg ?

cheers again for all the help

Elise S1 B&C 140
Sometimes get glitches in the system, My girlfriend px'd her car on Sunday, when the garage Hpi'd it it came up as a bmw 318. My 172 only comes up as a 1.2 dynamique aswell.