ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Diameter Exhaust

Will soon be replacing the entire exhaust system on my 1.4 RT (due to Renaults not liking water and salt on our glorious roads) for a stainless setup from Powerflow, my enquiry is what diameter bore pipe do I use for the system?

Id like slightly better flow and dont mind a bit more noise but they said ditching the cat (its a 91 so doesnt need it) will only produce these kinds of effects and that means plenty more noise... so its a face off between noise and performance. Id like my car as dB friendly as possibly for the motorway, but with a nice sound (my current zorst (powerflow) was made as quiet as possible and only makes a lot of noise when serious use of the loud pedal occurs). Then again Id like a bit more power, but dont want to lose all my torque... Anybody have any suggestions?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Andi

All I can offer mate is this:

Dont go as bigger than 2" bore theres not enough power produced to warrant that kind of pipe. I reckon optimum would be around 1.75" something like that

I had a 2.25" full system on my RT (and kept the cat) and not only was it unbelievably loud, I also lost some low down pull. (It did pick up a lot better higher in the rev band though) They did replace my middle expansion chamber though so this might have had something to do with it.

I was thinking of Powerflow myself, like I said, I wouldnt go bigger than 2"

Skoda Fabia vRS

id take Bens advice on the bore of the pipe, no idea what my current one is but im gettin a full K-Tec system soon

with regards to the cat, you can take it off mate, K-Tec do a silenced de-cat, so even if you lose the silencer on the centre section u can still get rid of the cat and get one of those

ive heard the K-Tec 4.5" that i want is very loud, so i might need one of those myself

(ex-2.0 Hybrid)CorradoVR6

Think my powerflow system is a 2" bore with a 4" tail pipe quite loud but not to harsh. Also runing a straight through de cat pipe. Does like to pop and band alot but I dont mined[;)]

My current back box pops away to itself, itd be a shame if I lost that when i got the system fitted. So we think either 1.75 or 2" for the bore and a K-Tec decat with silencer... Ill have a look how much they are (anyone know?)

Cheers guys

Girl racer is its a 91 you dont need a decat pipe .... what I mean is that you dont need to remove it for the mot. So just get powerflow to build you a manifold down pipe back system i.e its all one piece .... should work out cheaper that way to.

I do kind of like my sanctuary inside, a bit of noise Im ok with, I dont want it to sound like a track day warrior (not that it could!!!). I think Ill be spending a fair bit of cash at K-Tec, theyve got some pretty neat things out now, any price on that de-cat silencer thing? Im not too sure whether to stick with powerflow for building the system...

Andi

I see what you saying brun but what I meant although not clear .... lol. Is that you tell powerflow how loud you want it they then increase the silence size. Also as a one piece system you can still incorporate another silence in there.