ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Difference between 172 & 172 Cup

Porsche, Caterham, Golf
Hi,

I'm new to all things Clio and am considering a 172, but at present dont know that much about them spec wise. Would anyone be good enough to list the difference between the standard 172 & the 172 cup

Many Thanks

Yeah, 172 cups are quicker......................MUCH quicker!!! In fact they p!ss all over the bog standard 172!

What is raw! You've got to be yanking my chain! It's a stripped out road legal racing machine damnit, a born and bred street racing mean machine.

Porsche, Caterham, Golf
Guys,

I appreciate the replies but can anyone give me the details of the spec differences?

I know the cup is lighter (80kg?) due to it being striped out, but what has it been striped of?

Are there any exterior differences? (Apart from wheels)

Cheers

Lighter, slightly lower and wider track. Blue or silver later one and speedline turini's, oh and lacking the magical toys.

TVR Cerbera
Smash7 said:
Guys,

I appreciate the replies but can anyone give me the details of the spec differences?

I know the cup is lighter (80kg?) due to it being striped out, but what has it been striped of?

Are there any exterior differences? (Apart from wheels)

Cheers

no Air con, no spare wheel, no abs, no traction control, thin windscreen, no pollen filter, no funky wipers, no map lights, no leather, no split folding seats, no center seat belt, wheel have different offset, side trim is different. might be more but i can't think at the mo.......

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
no Xenon Headlights, no ABS, no engine cover, different rear spoiler (better) & front Splitter. Air-Con on very limited numbers. Its hardly stripped though, no different to any other road car, door cards, front seats, rear seats. Same interior dash, door cards etc.

Greenys_meanies said:
Not when i had one, my cup is a bit quicker

and yes i don't need toys either
I know that, you know that...
Thought this thread was going to end up like all the others have this past year lol

Cup hasnt got...

Leather/alacantra seats
Climate control
Xenon lights
Light washers
Cruise control (although I think some FF's havnt either)
ESP (traction control)
ABS
Side airbags
Nots sure but dont think they have auto lights and wipers
CD changer (some FF's dont either)
Dont think they have a spare wheel (FF has a spare alloy)
Interior strips are blue and mark easily
no rear head restraints (think thats what they are called)

Cup has got...

Big rear spoiler
front splitter
Lighter alloys
lower/ stiffened suspension

probably some stuff I have got wrong/missed.... sure some 1 will correct me :)

1998 BMW e46 323i
they're like children in this forum...

172 has auto xenons, auto wipers, climate control, leather and alacantara seats with rear head restraints, 4 airbags and ABS.

The cup doesn't have the above, runs on turinis and has slightly altered suspension so the track is wider, the toe in is different, the wheels are smaller resulting in the ride height being lower, there is a slightly enlarged rear spoiler and a smaller and lighter alternator and other electrical ancillaries are un-needed.

Have I missed anything out?

It's all down to personal choice which you choose. Unless you've driven them both I'm sure you'd be happy with either. The difference to 60mph is about 1/10th of a second is it not? However I imagine the cup wouldn't understeer so much as it has less weight up front.

Cups don't have ABS or a brake bias thingie between the front and rear brakes, so you can have difficulty at MOT time, oh and stopping on ice, snow and in the rain. Don't care what anyone says, ABS should be law on every modern car. SO many people haven't got a clue about cadence braking it's unreal.

I love my cars, but I also love my luxuries and think every car should have aircon, which I think was an option on the cups.

I have a 172 w/toys and would be lost without them

Porsche, Caterham, Golf
Thanks Guys :approve:

I have a few more questions if anyone can help?

What size wheels are standard on 172 & Cup? Will Cup wheels fit a 172?

How does the rear spoil differ? Anyone got a picture showing the difference?

Cheers

john.med said:

172 has auto xenons, auto wipers, climate control, leather and alacantara seats with rear head restraints, 4 airbags and ABS.

The cup doesn't have the above, runs on turinis and has slightly altered suspension so the track is wider, the toe in is different, the wheels are smaller resulting in the ride height being lower, there is a slightly enlarged rear spoiler and a smaller and lighter alternator and other electrical ancillaries are un-needed.

It's all down to personal choice which you choose. Unless you've driven them both I'm sure you'd be happy with either. The difference to 60mph is about 1/10th of a second is it not? However I imagine the cup wouldn't understeer so much as it has less weight up front.

Cups don't have ABS or a brake bias thingie between the front and rear brakes, so you can have difficulty at MOT time, oh and stopping on ice, snow and in the rain. Don't care what anyone says, ABS should be law on every modern car. SO many people haven't got a clue about cadence braking it's unreal.

I love my cars, but I also love my luxuries and think every car should have aircon, which I think was an option on the cups.

The wheels are the same size I thought, the ride height is 2mm lower.

TVR Cerbera
john.med said:

don't quote me on this and i'm not trying to argue but i've read the book 0-60 FF is 7.2 and cup is 6.5..................all from 80 kg weight saving.........don't think so but that what the book says. i know that if i have my wife (65-70kg) in the car it's not noticably slower!! work it out for yourself!!!!

Greenys_meanies said:
don't quote me on this and i'm not trying to argue but i've read the book 0-60 FF is 7.2 and cup is 6.5..................all from 80 kg weight saving.........don't think so but that what the book says. i know that if i have my wife (65-70kg) in the car it's not noticably slower!! work it out for yourself!!!!

65-70kg? is that very heavy? My TV weighs 65kg and I can hardly lift it!! Is she a plumper?

TVR Cerbera
Enid said:
65-70kg? is that very heavy? My TV weighs 65kg and I can hardly lift it!! Is she a plumper?

sorry i misjudged (christ she's kill me if she reads this) she's 8 1/2 stone about 54 kgs!

Monaco 172 2/468
My personal view is there is hardly any difference in normal day to day driving, apart from the FF having all the extras (Comfier seats etc)

I'd get a cup if I did loads of track days etc, as I don't I got the FF and love it :cool:

1998 BMW e46 323i
there may be 3/10th of a second to 62mph, depends where you read.

The cup was about a grand cheaper when new. When I bought mine, there were a few cups going very cheap.

Cups are basic and a little lighter.

Full fats are proper all-rounders. When the Summer finally gets here, I know where I'd rarther be sat: In the car with climate control that accelerates a few tenths slower to 60mph.

Essentially they are very very similar cars. Cup owners think their cars are better, we full-fatters think ours are better. So everyone's happy.

FF? as in Full Fat? Well Full fat is bad for you, like full fat coke is bad for you however, diet coke is better for you. The same can is true for the 172 too, full fat equals bad and diet (read CUP) is good.

R35 GTR
All that half fat stuff gives you the s***s! Step away from the bumb loving!!!!

f**k the furry cups, get a FF and turbo it, then you have a quick car.

TVR Cerbera
Dave3141 said:
All that half fat stuff gives you the sh*ts! Step away from the bumb loving!!!!

f**k the furry cups, get a FF and turbo it, then you have a quick car.

Yeah but that spends money on mods that could be used on getting a faster car in the first place! lol