ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Difference between 172 & 172 Cup

TDI tyre shreader
Horses or courses. When i was buying my 172 my brother said to me why didnt i want the cup version cos its faster. I replied with i wanted the toys because its a road car i sit in traffic everyday and want the comfort of having a fully loaded car, i dont do track days anymore so i went full bore and to be honest i have never looked back. I did the raw drive properly with my last car and if i was to do it again i would pick a better car than than a clio cup which i dont think is that raw really

Porsche, Caterham, Golf
Guys,

Thanks again for your help, I'm probably edging towards a FF I wont track it as I have a Caterham for that (At 490kg makes a Cup look fat!! :) ) I prefer the look and colour of the cup but as it will be exclusively for road use I think I'd prefer the luxury the FF offers.

But with that said I will drive both and draw my conclusions from there.

Thanks again

Clio 172 mk2
This Cup/ff business is just something pointless to argue about...probably f**k all between them on the road.

I went for a ff 172 as the seats are good and it's got plenty of toys:D

Good luck....plenty out there to choose from:D

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
no decent seats, no air con, no ABS!!!! about a millisecond quicker. better rims tho. get a full fat

Turbos.
No they're not, they're more expensive!

If i did it all again i'd get a Cup as it comes in the best colour, with the best wheels and the little spoiler add ons. Whatever people say, it's noticeably quicker and keener on the bends. I personally never use the air con and the 172 seats are hardly luxury. The leather is cheap. The big thing for me is ABS though, that is the only thing that would prevent me getting one.

SLK 350
These threads BORE me too tears, use http://www.cliosport.net/forum/search.php theres a multitude of bitchy threads to choose from. Each and every thread about this subject goes down the sh1tpan.

Summary of all:

The Cup owners love the Cup. The FF owners love the FF. Personally I prefer my luxury over an out of the box better handling car, FF + Splitter + Spoiler + Coilovers = Best of both worlds.

172 cup TT
Enid said:
Yeah, 172 cups are quicker......................MUCH quicker!!! In fact they p!ss all over the bog standard 172!

Yeh but they are the top of the range clio so what do you expect!

TVR Cerbera
ozzyo99 said:
^Depends on the company, most still remain Grp16, but a few stick them as Grp17 afaik.

lucky you my company quotes my cup as an 18! still cheapest quote so not complaining............lol.......

172 Cup
Hi matey,

Im running a 172 Cup and personally from having it i would get the full fat 172 with all the toys then if you want it to look like a cup get some turini speedlines... job done! the diff in speed and handling is negliable if you can stretch jus fit some coilovers and ur have a great little car without sacrifing all the luxurys.

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
FFS...

80Kg lighted.

Swap turini's on to a 172 and you save 15kg instantly.
Take spare out save another 13kg
I weigh 10.5 stone. What do you guys weight. It'll be a tops 50kg lighter.

Plus the 172 cup is scabby not a nice place to sit.

Beaut colour and parts... but my dynamique was beta.

TVR Cerbera
Ali said:
FFS...

80Kg lighted.

Swap turini's on to a 172 and you save 15kg instantly.
Take spare out save another 13kg
I weigh 10.5 stone. What do you guys weight. It'll be a tops 50kg lighter.

Plus the 172 cup is scabby not a nice place to sit.

Beaut colour and parts... but my dynamique was beta.

i weigh 11 stone, so go on find another 50 kgs to save.

a cup is not scabby, novas are. your only jealous. how can it not be a nice place to sit....its still a clio????

a dynamique doesn't have 170 bhp!

anyway i like my cup cos it have less electric thinggies to go wrong...with renault elecrtics and all !!!!

SLK 350
A Cup is not a nice place to sit whatever rationale you use, and as a 172 FF driver im not jealous what so ever of sitting in traffic on cloth seats from a 1.2 without any A/C, thanks all the same.

A dynamique may not have 170bhp, but it does have more luxury than a Cup.

Nothing wrong with Renault electrics, haven't heard of many folk on here having many issues with AC/ESP/ABS/Xenon failing either.

So who's the jealous one did you say? :)

TVR Cerbera
ozzyo99 said:
A Cup is not a nice place to sit whatever rationale you use, and as a 172 FF driver im not jealous what so ever of sitting in traffic on cloth seats from a 1.2 without any A/C, thanks all the same.

A dynamique may not have 170bhp, but it does have more luxury than a Cup.

Nothing wrong with Renault electrics, haven't heard of many folk on here having many issues with AC/ESP/ABS/Xenon failing either.

So who's the jealous one did you say? :)
whats wrong with cloth seats? least they are not freezing cold in the winter and burning hot in the summer. and i don't sit in traffic, i overtake it (safely of course). i don't want a/c, i have windows. i haven't got a/c in the house cos i don't need it. i don't live in the car so why should it have more luxuries than my house?

if i wanted luxury, i would have bought something a lot nicer than a clio!

Sorry to disagree about the electrics, i never had any probs, touch wood, but i have heard renault electrics aren't the best, thats all. ESP is for people who can't use the loud pedal properly and boot it in 1st. i agree ABS is the best thing ever, but i aint got it and i'm not that bothered, i just reapply the brakes if it does lock. and for xenons, never had em, dunno what i'm missing out on, so i'm happy.

at the end of the day each to their own. i have a 205 with GTI interior, so all the luxuries it came with and i've also had a rallye with absolutly nothing!
If you aint got it you don't miss it>>>>>>

R26
I've driven both cup and ff and the difference was not that great imo. Paid the extra and got myself an ff which I've had for just over a month now. Everytime I get out of the car I'm always smiling from ear to ear, but I'm sure the story would have been identical if I had gone for the cup.....

Oh, and you can't beat a good bit of alcantara (not that I'm obsessed with the stuf or anything!) :D

Monaco 172 2/468
Greenys_meanies said:
whats wrong with cloth seats? least they are not freezing cold in the winter and burning hot in the summer. and i don't sit in traffic, i overtake it (safely of course). i don't want a/c, i have windows. i haven't got a/c in the house cos i don't need it. i don't live in the car so why should it have more luxuries than my house?

if i wanted luxury, i would have bought something a lot nicer than a clio!

Sorry to disagree about the electrics, i never had any probs, touch wood, but i have heard renault electrics aren't the best, thats all. ESP is for people who can't use the loud pedal properly and boot it in 1st. i agree ABS is the best thing ever, but i aint got it and i'm not that bothered, i just reapply the brakes if it does lock. and for xenons, never had em, dunno what i'm missing out on, so i'm happy.

at the end of the day each to their own. i have a 205 with GTI interior, so all the luxuries it came with and i've also had a rallye with absolutly nothing!
If you aint got it you don't miss it>>>>>>

My seats are half leather, so are fine in any temp\weather

I hear what you are saying, I was thinking the same, but thats a typical view of someone who doesn't have aircon, therefore "it's sh!t" etc lol. If you are sat still in traffic can't move hardly for 15-20 mins, 30 degrees..... windows down, oh no all the air is all hot !!

You - sweat, start smelling like an ape, become angry because of heat

A/C People - Turn on A/C sit there nice and cool, smell nice, cheesy smile on face :D

(btw this is slightly toungue in cheek, don't get angry lol)

TVR Cerbera
i agree with what you are sayin bout the aircon, still don't bother me, my wife had a yellow punto with a/c before the clio, quite good, but i have a 12 year old 205 w/o it and like i said 'not bothered' i drive 120 miles a day in the old girl (205 not the wife,lol) and the big glass sunroof is nice in the summer, but hey..........

Monaco 172 2/468
Greenys_meanies said:
i agree with what you are sayin bout the aircon, still don't bother me, my wife had a yellow punto with a/c before the clio, quite good, but i have a 12 year old 205 w/o it and like i said 'not bothered' i drive 120 miles a day in the old girl (205 not the wife,lol) and the big glass sunroof is nice in the summer, but hey..........

I miss my sunroof in my old clio 1.2 :(

I know mate, it's not like we get that much good weather that it makes a difference, I probably wouldn't cry if it wasn't there, you just get used to it either way :cool:

BMW 330d :)
172 ff's are for pansies that cant handle the raw cups ;)

*Runs for cover* ;)

I personally see a cup as a more challenging car to drive without all the nannying electronics, traction control, abs etc. It is more up to the driver to get the best from the car. if you want air con and leather get a fiesta. If you want the ultimate version of 172 with no compromises in performance go for the cup ;)Thats why ali is tryin to copy the look of it with his heavy cup wannabe! ;)

Monaco 172 2/468
Frasers Cup said:
172 ff's are for pansies that cant handle the raw cups ;)

*Runs for cover* ;)

I personally see a cup as a more challenging car to drive without all the nannying electronics, traction control, abs etc. It is more up to the driver to get the best from the car. if you want air con and leather get a fiesta. If you want the ultimate version of 172 with no compromises in performance go for the cup ;)Thats why ali is tryin to copy the look of it with his heavy cup wannabe! ;)

lol cup bummer

I don't have traction control, and how many times have you needed to brake hard enough to need ABS (I know you dont have it) ? I would hope not many, unless you are a bad driver, so for most people ABS is a great thing to have to save you from a situation you rarely find yourself in

I think the cup is a cool car, but I wouldn't often test my car to the limit stuck in traffic on the way to and back from work lol Therefore I like my extras :rasp:

WOW, what a lot of replies, some good and some just plainly daft.

The Cup is top of the range (given the V6 is), sorry no it is not. Who ever heard of as car maker saying a car without so much equipment, makes a car a good place to be, and then state a lesser model is top of the range.

Renault marketed the car with a budget so is cheaper and will always be.

When launched cup owners have said "limited numbers", "it's homologised", "It's designed for track use", "will hold it's value better"

None of which are true, e.g. in the smaller run period they sold at least as many cups as they were cheaper, it neever did and never will fetch more than the FF.

As for comfort I have my AC on from about late May till Sept. as this country is certainly hot enough. The last week for example, even if you are moving at 40 mph plus you will still have sweaty gonads in a non AC car can not keep you cool all over.

Speed on a track may be important. How many of you use your cars so regularly on one anyway as to make any real world difference in performance.
The cup owners always defend vigorously their choice, up to them. Funny how they never need AC ABS or other great inventions. Just because they have a lower model, but want to say they have the best maybe????

If in a trafic light grand prix I loose half a length to, whatever, I will always be happy in the knowledge that I will be comfortable. Also safer in the wet under heavy breaking.

Been a member many years ago, and a reader since. This nonesense is frankly ludicrous. Get over it cup boys, your car goes very slightly faster BUT THAT IS IT

Blaze

Focus ST3
Feels more planted than FF as well.

As for being the top of the range - it depends on your point of view - some people feel uncomfortable if they don't buy the most expensive model, others feel uncomfortable if they don't have the fastest version.

Second hand there is nothing between the cost 95% of punters don't know the actual spec differences. You can sell a cup at the same price as a full fat as its probably only cliosporters who actually care and we are a small percentage of RS clio owners