ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Difference between 172 and 172 cup?!

C

Clio_Craig

Hi I was wondering if anyone knew the difference between the normal 172 and the 172 cup please?

Thanks,
Craig

182 inferno for long time
suspension has been stiffened and lowered, weight reduced by taken abs/aircon/leather seats out. fabric seats in there place. thats the cup that is and i think its only available in blue and silver(with cup badge on door sills).cant think of anything else, apart from differnt light weight wheels aswell.

C

Clio_Craig

cheers guys for fast reply, this is for my friend who wants a cup :)

1998 BMW e46 323i
the differnce is cup owners sweat in the summer and skid off the roads in winter.

...while going on and on about how their poverty-specced and very similar version of the RS range is superior to the other.

the non cup cars are an ickle bit heavier and their owners benefit from nicer seats, lights climate etc etc etc.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Whatever floats your boat.

The FF 172 is a very fast comfortable well equipped car.

The 172 Cup is a slightly quicker, slightly less comfortable, slightly less well equipped car.

172 Cup (Iceberg)
Did they do a Cup in an orangey/brown colour? Only reason i ask is when i was looking for my Cup i came across one on Autotrader but never went to look at it.

Lionel Richie
172cup is exaclty 89kg lighter, its the fastest out of all the rs clios, but its also the most commonly crashed clio (loads have been written off)

Lionel Richie
erm you'd be surprised, round certain tracks the cup would walk away from a vee

on a high speed track though the vee would demolish a cup

Saab 93 Aero Wagon
the differnce is cup owners sweat in the summer and skid off the roads in winter.

...while going on and on about how their poverty-specced and very similar version of the RS range is superior to the other.

the non cup cars are an ickle bit heavier and their owners benefit from nicer seats, lights climate etc etc etc.

All good points.

Except......i didn't sweat this summer....it hasn't been hot enough.
I haven't fallen off the road in two winters and i haven't yet found a standard FF that can cut it compared to my Cup.
Although this very non standard FF has been a great B road pace for me on a few occasions...someone buy it! http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=258640

Thats not to say my car is superior to the rest of the very similar RS range.....i concede the Trophy is a better car. ;)

PH1 Oddy, M140i
I love the frequency of these threads. And following Ollies point I have never met a cup that I could keep up with both on the motorway and track (all pre mods)

Difference in speed it seems come from how they were put together in the factory..some are good...spome are bad. FF172 has lots of toys...I like toys.

VaVa
Whatever floats your boat.

The FF 172 is a very fast comfortable well equipped car.

The 172 Cup is a slightly quicker, slightly less comfortable, slightly less well equipped car.

That's it in a nutshell.

I found the biggest difference betweent the Cup and the FF was the way it handled, not it's straight line pace. This biggest factor in this is whether or not you got a good one in the first place.