ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

difference between 172 and 172 cup

Quote: Originally posted by Roy Munson on 25 June 2005
Like it or not. On paper the 172Cup and 182Cup own the rest ;)

Paper maybe, tarmac.... :devilish:

Quote: Originally posted by Loony on 25 June 2005
Quote: Originally posted by Roy Munson on 25 June 2005Like it or not. On paper the 172Cup and 182Cup own the rest ;)

Paper maybe, tarmac.... :devilish:

Like for like, same driver same tarmac same tyres...

"winnings winning"

;)

172cup

i notice that the cup drivers are saying that they are much faster, better drive, etc... and the 172/182 drivers are saying... nothing in it at all... i can match a cup easy rargh. Could have sworn i heard this from nova 1.2SR drivers

whatever!

cup wins

eves

ClioSport Club Member
  An old banger!

blah blah blah......................

theres seriously nothing in it on a road!!!

and tbh i love the interia and extras that came with my 172..... you feel youve got your moneys worth with it!!

as many have said, what you gain on full throttle really isnt enough to say its much quicker, one slower gearchange and that is lost

on track, yes again, the cup is marginally quicker, but not enough to really shout and scream about

172 cup - buy it for less pennies with less comforts and less driver aids
172 fat - buy it for more pennies with more comforts and more driver aids

thats what it boils down to

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode

Quote: Originally posted by Bryan on 25 June 2005

172 cup - buy it for less pennies with less comforts and less driver aids, BUT IS QUICKER....
172 fat - buy it for more pennies with more comforts and more driver aids, for GIRLS
thats what it boils down to
you got it my man ;)

[Edited by gt_gaz on 25 June 2005 at 12:26pm]

172, Tiguan

Every 172 i have tried (and its been a few now) feels different to the Cup (and Ive tried a few of them as well).

Im not getting into an arguement about whats quicker as I dont care. If you rely on the driver aids in a car then you shouldnt be on the road.

Ive not driven either, but Id be surpised if 80kg didnt make a noticable difference to the acceleration...I know adding a pssenger makes my 182 feel slightly slower.

Im sure side by side on a track or road (dont see the difference if youre just talking a straight drag) there would be hardly anything it, but 80kgs is 80kgs and I dont think many peeps would run the 1/4 with a passenger sat next to them.

Lionel Richie

Buy a cup, theyre better

then come and spend lots of money at Yozzasport, and itll be EVEN better then!!!!

Abarth 500

I had a Cup that ran 14.650 @ Pod which means mine was a decent one and that Im not a totally sh*t driver! (Have any standard 172s run quicker?)

I bought it because it was cheaper and I preferred the colour and the wheels...

In real world tests on the road against other 172s there really is NOTHING in it. Carrying a passenger is enough to slow you down. The car with more petrol may lose on just that basis. Hell, even eating a kebab for tea is enough to make the difference!

IMHO of course! :oops:

It make sod all difference which is quicker on paper or on the track or what ever, for me the cup is just that bit more fun to drive!!!!

Ive had some faster cars that could eat them both alive but they just didnt have the "fun" factor... & thats what does it for me!!!!

Theres not many cars out there that do it on a b road like a 172 cup

307 hdi (powered by derv)

Cheers for all the replies guys. I just got back from devon so sorry for no replies.
No need to argue though, lol.

Is there much difference in the handling at all? also does the cup have the traction control and braking control?

Cup has no traction (nor do early 172s) and cup has no ABS. Sadly alot of cup owners attitudes are their downfall and they run out of talent resulting in a high number of written off cups :eek: Then youll find the lack of ABS is no longer for girls as they had previously told every 172 owner but the cause of their accident. Nothing to do with travelling too fast for the conditions or making an error in judgement.:eek:

must be very late ones, the original ones definately DO NOT have abs. remember it is auto trader so probably a typo or the owner not having a clue.

DC5

Quote: Originally posted by clioman on 27 June 2005

i just found two cups on auto trader with abs:confused:
Are you sure they werent 182 cups? They do have ABS where the 172s do not.

Abarth 500

Quote: Originally posted by Loony on 27 June 2005

Cup has no traction (nor do early 172s) and cup has no ABS. Sadly alot of cup owners attitudes are their downfall and they run out of talent resulting in a high number of written off cups :eek: Then youll find the lack of ABS is no longer for girls as they had previously told every 172 owner but the cause of their accident. Nothing to do with travelling too fast for the conditions or making an error in judgement.:eek:
What an outrageous comment! Scrap what I said - everyone knows the Cup is tons better than the 172 both on the road and on the track... The only reason my Cup ran so closely to Loonys 172 because I eased off - I didnt want him to feel inferior about driving what is so obviously a girls car compared to my ever so macho Cup ;)

Ps - My Cup didnt have ABS (like all/most) and I loved it. I drove hard EVERYWHERE and only ever locked up (in a scarey way) once or twice. The progressive feel of the pedal is just fantastic and having the option to skid when required is reassuring. (I appreciate that this isnt the sensible attitude of a mature road user :oops:)

Haha, yeah right you big tart ;)

Mature *cough* b****cks *cough* you may be a Dad now but it doesnt mean that you dont drive like a nutcase, lol

Clioman,

My 172 Cup has just gone up for sale. If you are anywhere near Chelmsford let me know if you are interested.

p.s. Sorry to hijack the thread but it is kind of on topic. ;)

Matt

GW Clio 200

No matter waht you choose you have to buy Iceberg Silver if you get a 172 cup or not. Iceberg Silver is the best colour ever made for the Clio.