ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Difference between Magnecor Ignition Leads?

220 Trophy
Is there any REAL difference between the blue 8mm leads and the red 8.5mm leads when used on the MK2 Clios? I have a red set on at the moment and having OCD fancy changing to blue to colour-coordinate but obviously not if its going to make any difference. (The car is NA but with ITB’S and cams etc, approx 215bhp and 180ftlb) Thanks.

Evo
I have reds on the 172, misses has blue on the 182. Didn't notice any difference when swapping them from standards and don't notice any difference in the two cars ( apart from the obvious 172/182 lark. )

220 Trophy
Hi James. Yes, no doubt they are the best, but would we (the car) ever notice the difference on relatively small and low powered cars such as the Clio??.......... I.e. are they overkill and the blues will still be better than we need - Possibly like having P-Zeros on a Ka to go to the supermarket, yes they are the best, but overkill on a car/journey that is not going to use their potential.

220 Trophy
Thanks Ben. I'm only being vain as fancy a set of complimenting blue leads. As mentioned I have a set of reds at the moment but could always sell these.

I did a bit of research when I bought some for mine in January

From what I found, there is no real world performance differences between the 2 (especially on a N/A Clio), but I found that the blues had some fitting issues as well as failings after a few months. The reds on the other hand didnt appear to have any issues (assume because of the thicker core) so these are the ones I went for!

Hope this helps, Jon

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Do magnecor make any difference what so ever over standard leads then like even something running silly power?

If you ever get to the point the spark isn't strong enough on the standards then they might do I guess.
Got standards on my turbo but that's only just over 300bhp so not exactly pushing the envelope, guess if it was 700 or something you might start looking at ignition strength then?

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Thread bump. Do such items degrade over time? I'm 99.9% certain that my OEM ones that came with the car in 2004 are still there.

Given what those leads have done over thirteen years, combined with the heat/cold/heat/cold from the engine - are they are a worthwhile item to consider replacing?

I quite like the look of the red Magnecors (45520) - but not when they appear to be more than double the OEM price.