ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Difficulty of brake change, inner arch repair and splitter fit

Clio 182 Black Gold
Hi everyone,
I'm pretty new to this and never really done any work on cars before. I'm looking to change all disks and pads, replace the passenger side inner arch linning and fit a skoda splitter. I know there are how to's on here but i was just wondering if anyone could tell me how hard I might find these jobs (as a novice) and if it would probably just be better to pay someone to do it.

Thanks, jack.

Clio 182 Black Gold
Ye as stated before, I know that there are guides on here. I was just hoping to get some feedback from other people
Who may have done these jobs for their first time and how hard they found them.

Black 172
I don't think anyone can tell you for sure how hard it will be. It does depend on how much of a mind for mechanics you have, and to some extent, luck. By luck I mean whether or not you will run in to problems (like encountering a seized brake disk screw which you round off trying to undo it... that's a major problem for a novice and quite a common occurrence - that problem is easily fixed by someone who knows what they're doing though).

I say go for it, but work carefully and if your not sure about something, ask. You will never know how to do things yourself otherwise. Brake pads and disks isn't the hardest job in the world to do, but it's still a challenge for a novice.

LY 220 Trophy+IB PH1
I'd make a list of tools you will need and go from there, if you have not got the tools I wouldn't start - It's a precursor for a lot of swearing.

If you have the tools just read up on the guide's but personally I wouldn't be touching the brakes if i was not sure what I was doing.

looking to change all disks and pads - Remember to clean the oil of the disc and ensure you have the correct tools e.g A T40 Torque spanner.

replace the passenger side inner arch linning - Few tree push in clips, this one isnt technical and you can work it our from looking at it so to speak.

fit a skoda splitter - A drill and a few screws, no technical knowledge required

Monaco 172 + mk1 RSi
brakes arent hard to do, just time consuming when your not an expert, copper greasing, doubble checking and such.
as said above, the right tools are important, i think the brake calpier bolts are 18mm for a sport, i use a deep socket and a bar to crack them :)

LY 220 Trophy+IB PH1
brakes arent hard to do, just time consuming when your not an expert, copper greasing, doubble checking and such.
as said above, the right tools are important, i think the brake calpier bolts are 18mm for a sport, i use a deep socket and a bar to crack them :)

Not to mention if have been done incorrectly in the past it can takes ages to sort, my mates megane's old discs had no copper slip on the hub and the disc was so bonded to it we had to hit it with a stab hammer to get it off !

Monaco 172 + mk1 RSi
also, take pics if it helps, to look ho it was before you disasembled it especially the little metal clips that sit in the caliper, confusing if youve never done it before :)

LY 220 Trophy+IB PH1
also, take pics if it helps, to look ho it was before you disasembled it especially the little metal clips that sit in the caliper, confusing if youve never done it before :)

+1 I do this when working on desktop pc's lol saved my ass a few times