ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Digital Media Player - Any reason not to buy one?

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Hi.

I have a rather extensive digitally stored film library... Is there any reason not to buy the below? I'm really fed up of plugging my laptop into my tv all the time as

a) I can't use my laptop whilst watching a film

b) It's annoying having to make space on my tv unit and ensure the laptop screen doesn't get in the way.

So, this is the one I want:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B005NYOKC2/?tag=cliospnet01-21

Any reason not to get one?

I plan to have a 2TB HDD sitting next to it and every week or whatever I'll just plug my laptop in and copy and new digital media accross to it.

Before anyone says it, streaming into a device is NOT an option, when we stream wirelessly, it totally kills the router, and the other two in the house can't even get online properly, let alone play games/download etc.

So, all opinion much looked forward to. :)

Golf gti ed30+bmw m3
streaming to a device in your home should in no way affect other devices ability to go online etc... thats your LAN vs WAN.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Well it does, heavily. I'm no techno-r****d, but it wipes out our BT home hub.

Put it this way, it's not streaming but it's an example....

I'm downloading something last night, my house mate decides to nick a film out of my shared folder, he starts transferring that and I can't even open a web page.

182 Cup
I've got the one you've linked - love it. Nice touch that the wifi connection can download all of the film information, screen shots, cover images, etc. Think you can use an iphone as the romote if you choose to too.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Awesome! So it's actually good then?

Just didn't want to buy one when the entire concept was s**t or whatvever.

It looks utterly perfect for what I want TBH.

How does it deal with full 1080p MKV files?

EDIT: Should totally have a film sharing mini meet ;)

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
I do have an xbox, why's that? What do you think of the thing I linked?

I'll actually set up an island visit and get Tom involved, it'll be awesome. I've never been over so it'll be a laugh.

You can just plug a drive into an xbox.

No idea on the thing you linked but I'm a snob about interfaces and that thing looks like it will have been designed by a labrador.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
I am to some extent Dan, but it'll work properly (or so I hope). The way I see it is that it's not something I'll be browsing for films through, I'll know what I want to watch and just select it.

XBOX can't play MKV's (and that's all I deal in). It also struggles with larger drives.

I'd like a bit of first hand experience TBH.

That was my theory too and a lot of the time it's true. I'll download something new and that's what I'll watch.

But what annoys me is when I go to browse for something to watch and there's no info. But someone said it was cover art/actors/synopsis etc, so it might not be so bad.

Rav4
I bought it for my mum.

Linked with an external drive.

The interface isn't amazing, but it grabs all the cover art + info it needs.

The remote works well, you can use an iPhone remote.

They are updating the firmware frequently and you can use spotify/netflix with it.

Easy to use, clean, relatively cheap, plays MKV's, don't sound like a plane (xbox 360)

Try it, don't like it, you have 14 days.

Make sure you update the firmware yet.

I am going to swap it for my ATV2

Rob, you say at the moment you plug your laptop into the tv and that's annoying.

This will be even worse. Lol.

"Darling. Download 'BillyBob Strikes Back' for us to watch"

So you download it. Then plug the laptop into this thing. Then transfer it. Then you can watch it.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
It's not the plugging in that annoys me Dan, the only place my laptop can sit is on the top shelf of my tv unit (tv is suspended on bracket off the back of it)

Then, you can see the laptop from where you're lying on the bed watching the tv, so you have to close the lid as far as possible and turn the brightness right down and make sure the cables aren't sticking up etc.... AND you can't use the laptop whilst anything is on.

I haven't got apple>HDMI, I'm apple> VGA and 3.5mm jack.

With this, I'll download a film, (4 minutes) plug the laptop into the lead going to the external hard drive and transfer, (I move my films off my MBP anyway as they're a bit lardy for my poor little machine) (5 minutes) and then plug the drive back into this box.

The review above makes my pants tingle, I'm think I'm going to get it.

I know you're an apple fan Dan, but surely even you see that for those with a big digital library this is ideal?

Gabi, thanks a lot. I'll definitely try it then. Order tonight. :D

Oh, one last question, what format does the drive need to be? Please tell me it'll accept a range of formats?

I'm not suggesting an Apple solution. Just that transferring got on my nerves. That's why I sold my Mac Mini.

And I have a massive library of crap that I'll probably never ever watch again. Still keep it though :eek:

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
I know, but I know you're not normally a fan of "lesser products". This just seems to tick a lot of boxes. Transfer time for a single file is pretty damn minimal as long as your HDD is decent enough, so I'm not too worried about that.

Totally keep it, I'm going to have to fork out for a new drive in a month or so then, my 500GB media partition on my current drive just won't cut it.

182 Cup
I'm no expert, but a lot of my mates are heavily into these media players and told me to get that one, so that's what I did. Couldn't be happier.

If it works well and looks good, I'll buy any'ting.

I have two 1TB drives, a 500GB and then another 1TB in my iMac :eek:

Not all full yet though.

Polo + Micra
i'm sure there are digital media players that will show a harddrive plugged into them on the network

on mine(asus oplay) i can copy from the network to a plugged in harddrive via the unit itself

Rav4
Welcome. It has wifi so the usb drive actually shows on your network, which means depending on your wifi speed and strength youll be able to add and remive files remotely.... could not be simpler :)