ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Digital SLR Gurus: Help with CF memory speeds.

Clio 197
Hiya,

I've just got myself an EOS 350D.

There are different types / speeds of CF memory.

The faster the memory.. the faster the write-speed.

But, the camera has a buffer... so does it matter ?

What's the maximum speed, that's worth going for (ie at which point does it not get any faster, for my camers in particular).

Ta,

Oms.

Monaro VXR
To be honest i dont think it makes THAT much of a difference in the way the camera writes to it.

More noticeable when transferring big files to and from it via your computer thats about it.

Clio 197
Camera : £600 incl USM lens & Case

Memory : Edit: £30 incl delivery for a scandisk UltraII.

Last edited:
  Monaro VXR
When using large sized pictures will write to it quicker but smaller lower res ones where your not using the camera to its full it prolly wont make any difference really.

Clio 197
I've been trying the 3fps burst mode...

Normally, it's a runs at a max of 9pics... but with this card in, it just runs runs runs runs and runs....!

Maybe it was a good idea after all!

106 GTi
I made sure I got fast car for with the camera the other month, but havent done any track stuff yet to test it yet.

Which Lens you gone for Omar?

Clio 197
I've got the std 18-55 USM....

... and a Tamron 28-300 Aspherical XR LD lens - very long zooooooom.

On a digital, it's the equivalent to a 400 zoom!

Clio 197
r-jay said:
A fast card is also advisable if you going to shot RAW and JPEG at the same time Omar.

Ooo... didn't realise I could do that.

I guess that's only available in the "creative" zones ?

106 GTi
omar said:
Ooo... didn't realise I could do that.

I guess that's only available in the "creative" zones ?

Yeah thats the puppy, wont allow it in the basic zone.

RAW and Photoshop CS2 is fantastic (Just upgraded here over Xmas). Even the Canon software with the Camera for processing the RAW files is good.

106 GTi
omar said:
I've got the std 18-55 USM....

... and a Tamron 28-300 Aspherical XR LD lens - very long zooooooom.

On a digital, it's the equivalent to a 400 zoom!

That sounds a fantastic lens. Not cheap I bet.

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
im here, yeh faster the card the better if your doing burst shots, i went to the d1gp and took 2 cards a 1gb scan disc ultra 2 and a 2.2gb microdrive... i filled the scandisk fairly quick.... put the microdrive in and missed sooo many shots...

u did good buying a bigger card :)

if your gonna shoot raw u will need it, i norm shoot just the highest res jpg i can... if its a shoot or something i will do raw just for the extra stuff i can do with it in photoshop cs2...

omar i shall pm u with details of another place to find me :D

Clio 197
r-jay said:
That sounds a fantastic lens. Not cheap I bet.

I got it over a year ago, for £250.

Prices haven't changed much... now there's a Di logo on the new ones, which means it's suitable for digital.

Whether there's an extra coating on the lenses, I don't know.

I have a quicky about my flashgun.

Apparantly it's not digital compatible - but how can there really be a difference?

106 GTi
Not to bad then, I struggled to find a good price for a lens with that kind of of focal length and ended up with a 70 - 300 to use alongside the 18 - 55.

Not sure on the flash question not got round to getting one yet, and didnt have one from my old stills SLR.

Mr2 Roadster
Yep, card speed is important. Before I moved up to 80x I used to hit the buffer all the time. I actually hit the buffer three times last week when I shot the arrivals at Elton and David's wedding but that was a one off incident.

In regard to your Tamron lens, all I would say is never mix and match your gear. I've been told this many time, eg, if you shoot Canon, staick with Canon lens. I've tested most Sigma lens available for Canon Digital bodies and have found them seriously poor in comparison to the Canon equivalents. Obviously price can be a big factor.
I actually have a 350d which I mess about with as it's so small. For anyone that needs a longer lens the EF 55-200mm 4.5-5.6 USM is very good value at around £100. The grip is useful too as you have the option to run it on two batteries and also the ease of shooting portraits.

With the flash question, what flash is it that you have? I would test it and see what you think of the results if it works. I have some 550EX flashes but the newer 580EX is so much better, the skin tones, the burst rate and power consumption. Yet again though it comes down to how much you want to spend and what sort of use you are going to put it to.

Anyway, congrats on buying the best entry level SLR money can buy and I hope you have as much fun with it as I do with my bag of goodies!

Clio 197
Thanks guys... you're all so helpful!! :approve:

Ipap: I'm using a Tamron because it's a hell of a lot cheaper than the Canon version!

I agree - the canons are sharper/quicker/quieter... but this one isn't too bad (better than the Sigma I had anyway!!).

As for the flash, it's the Jessops 400AF - reduced from £90 to £40, as they are no longer selling 35mm - it's all gone digital.

So I bought it for use with my 35mm last week... Just wondering if it's dangerous to try it in my new one.

It's got bounce/swivel/TTL/Zoom/Manual/AF assist .

Clio 172 Ph2
I got myself one of these (350D) the other day (well, it's kinda for work really).

Had nothing but trouble with it at first. Almost every shot I tried to take left me with 'Error 99' in the LCD display.

Seems it's some problem with the lens, possibly the contacts.

Out of interest, when on autofocus, is the end part of the lens (the focus ring) supposed to turn on its own? Mine doesn't appear to and I'm having a right hard time getting the camera to take ANY pictures at all when autofocus is enabled. :(

As a side note, I went for a 1GB Extreme III card. It's was only £20 or £30 more than the ultra II model, so I thought, 'what the hell' !

Mr2 Roadster
Firstly, the flash question, I'll get on to my boys thirst thing in the morning and see what they say.

Secondly, yes your lens is up the creek. Although it could be the body. I'd recommend just taking it back and asking for a new lens and body so you have no issues at all. You could try another lens and start problem solving but you paid good money just return it!

106 GTi
RB_172 said:
I got myself one of these (350D) the other day (well, it's kinda for work really).

Had nothing but trouble with it at first. Almost every shot I tried to take left me with 'Error 99' in the LCD display.

Is it a Canon lens?

Have you taken out the battery and tried again.

Have you got another lense you can try?

Does the mf/af switch work okay on the lense?

In autofocus the focusing part of the lense should be locked from hand movments and move to focus itself with the shutter half pressed.

Clio 197
Ipap - you're the man!! I'll look ouy for your post.

RB: Go back to the shop and get the whole kit changed if you can (28day exchange is your right AFAIK).

Or, go into a camera shop saying you want to buy/try a telephoto - see what happens when it's put on your body.

Clio 172 Ph2
Yes it's the std 18-55 Canon lense.

Done the battery thing (several times!).

The mf/af switch moves....and yes when in af, the ring doesn't turn (not freely anyway). When in mf, it moves ok. That's the only difference I see between having it on af or mf.

I was just expecting af to kinda move the ring via a motor or something. I guess the auto focusing is done internally or something? (forgive me, I'm an amature!).

Arrrggh Error 99 is sooo annoying! It makes the initial correct noises but misses the final 'click' before the picture is displayed on that digital screen.

106 GTi
In AF the focusing ring should be motorised, and feel locked if you try and turn it by hand.

Clio 172 Ph2
Bit more info about af....

Unless the pic in the view finder actually looks ok and infocus, when I half press the 'take picture' button, the green 'focus' light just flashes and flashes.
It's like it doesn't even try to autofocus.

I can switch to mf, twiddle the focus ring a bit and it looks to be focused just fine in the view finder.

Surely the AF can't be THAT bad?! Otherwise, what's the point in it???

I realise these aren't supposed to be point and shoot cameras but I did think they'd be a little more user friendly than mine is being at the moment.

106 GTi
Sounds like the lenses is knackered. The camera is point and shoot in full auto mode.

Take it back for sure.

iPap said:
Yep, card speed is important. Before I moved up to 80x I used to hit the buffer all the time. I actually hit the buffer three times last week when I shot the arrivals at Elton and David's wedding but that was a one off incident.

In regard to your Tamron lens, all I would say is never mix and match your gear. I've been told this many time, eg, if you shoot Canon, staick with Canon lens. I've tested most Sigma lens available for Canon Digital bodies and have found them seriously poor in comparison to the Canon equivalents. Obviously price can be a big factor.
I actually have a 350d which I mess about with as it's so small. For anyone that needs a longer lens the EF 55-200mm 4.5-5.6 USM is very good value at around £100. The grip is useful too as you have the option to run it on two batteries and also the ease of shooting portraits.

With the flash question, what flash is it that you have? I would test it and see what you think of the results if it works. I have some 550EX flashes but the newer 580EX is so much better, the skin tones, the burst rate and power consumption. Yet again though it comes down to how much you want to spend and what sort of use you are going to put it to.

Anyway, congrats on buying the best entry level SLR money can buy and I hope you have as much fun with it as I do with my bag of goodies!

About using different brand lenses...

I used to think exactly the same but now have two sigma lenses, the 20mm F1.8 which is pretty good, handy but nothing special. The other non Nikon lens i have is a 100-300mm F4 Sigma, HSM etc. Which is superb! I would strongly suggest unless you have lots of ££ then go for the same brand as your camera or Sigma. Mind you I plan on getting the 90mm Tamron F2.8 Macro as it's widely known as an amazingly sharp lens.

Mr2 Roadster
I have a few Lens all of which are Canon but I'm in the professional end of the market. Personally after using the Sigma 120-300mm f2.8 and the 500mm f4I would never touch another Sigma again.
I have a Canon 300mm, 400mm, 500mm, 600mm as well as the usual 70-200mm and a few shorts. For me, other than the 70-200mm and the 16-35mm I would never used a zoom lens again, it's fixed lens all the way.

Mr2 Roadster
omar said:
^^

Any news on the flash-gun comaptibility?

:)

Om's I just got in from last night and have tried to call but it would seem there is no one about at this time of day on NYE...

I think there may be people there over the weekend but as soon as I know I will get back to you!

Mr2 Roadster
Omar, I'm told by serveral people that you rflash will work with the Canon. What you need to know is that if the flash has no manual overide then you will be over flashing everything due to the film-digital conversion rate.

I will call the guy that will deffo know 10000% today.

Sorry I've been late to reply, have been down at Rentech with Mikey-boy.

182 w/busted splitter :-(
Hi Omar -

Glad you're enjoying the 350 - I've had a 300D for ages and absolutely love it!

Just a couple of additions to those posted above; don't worry about your memory cards - always try and buy the fastest ones you can. Whilst the 350 has a larger buffer than my 300, the buffer (on both models) is faster than than the memory card interface - hence, the faster card you have, the faster your 'data' will be written from 'buffer' to the card. As has been noted above also, if/when you take the plunge to start shooting 'RAW', then a fast card is a definite plus.

Also on the subject of 'RAW' files, I too am a longtime PhotoShop user (CS2, at the moment) but I've been playing with Pixmantec RawShooter Essentials, which is an alternative application for handling 'RAW' files - and what's more, it's free! check it out here:

http://www.pixmantec.com/products/rawshooter_essentials.asp

Also - if you want a cheap, sharp, portrait lens, check out the Canon EF 50mm 1.8 - this can be had for around £75, and is an absolute *bargain*!

iPap said:
I have a few Lens all of which are Canon but I'm in the professional end of the market. Personally after using the Sigma 120-300mm f2.8 and the 500mm f4I would never touch another Sigma again.
I have a Canon 300mm, 400mm, 500mm, 600mm as well as the usual 70-200mm and a few shorts. For me, other than the 70-200mm and the 16-35mm I would never used a zoom lens again, it's fixed lens all the way.

Fair doo's! I agree with liking primes, they're just a bit pricey for me ;)