ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Disabling your iPhone's features in sensitive areas!

Rubicon_

ClioSport Club Member
  Defender 110
It will be out for a day and there will be ways round it. Tbh I can't understand how it would work if you disabled all location services/network signals coming in.

Sam

North East
ClioSport Area Rep
Your phone will be programmed to do something upon a certain signal. A bit like how NFC works but bigger, and wirelessly.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
What a day we live in where we can't turn a phone off when asked and we have to be made to. I'm sure there's a European law that states intentionally blocking wireless services is illegal... it came up in conversation when some people found there mobiles worked until they entered a specific building. I know IBM build some of there sensitive infastructure to basically be faraday cages.

I'm guessing this is refering to a software/courtesy block though rather than a full on denial of service (?)

Mick

It's quite an old story - http://rt.com/usa/news/apple-patent-phone-cell/

Last time they said it would be related to the infa-red for the cameras.

I don't think it will ever happen. If they manage to block your iPhone, then people will either work out a way round it or just start taking other cameras.

Stopping phones from making a noise/lighting up in the cinema would be amazeballs though!

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
Ignore. It's just a case of getting a patent so that others can't or so that in the future it can be presented as prior art.

They couldn't possibly hope to implement it, it's not feasable - least of all because outside factors could block GPS anyway, simple FM transmitter on the right frequency would suffice.

Goliath I
Surely it's like a car manufacturer putting a fixed speed limit on their cars. If Audi did this nobody would buy their car.

If Apple limit camera usage then people will just opt for an alternative.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Surely it's like a car manufacturer putting a fixed speed limit on their cars. If Audi did this nobody would buy their car.

Speed limit recognition is already here mate... They can read road signs! It's not a fixed limit (yet) but it honestly won't be long until its software implemented.

Listerine & Poledo
What a day we live in where we can't turn a phone off when asked and we have to be made to.

That.

People seem more concerned of taking photos at concerts / death-beds than actually living the event themselves.

"Ermergerd! I gotta get photos fer all me facebook freinds to show I was here!!!!!111"

Goliath I
Speed limit recognition is already here mate... They can read road signs! It's not a fixed limit (yet) but it honestly won't be long until its software implemented.

I've driven a few cars with such warning signs (will flash up when exceed speed limit on certain roads...) If that's what you mean. But unless ALL new cars implement such software then people will be driven from those manufacturers that do.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
I know IBM build some of there sensitive infastructure to basically be faraday cages.

I swear modern schools are too, all our new buildings at school had no signal inside but good signal as soon as you went outside. Makes sense for them to do it though, whether it was intentional or not I don't know.

Mk4 Mondeo Estate
I swear modern schools are too, all our new buildings at school had no signal inside but good signal as soon as you went outside. Makes sense for them to do it though, whether it was intentional or not I don't know.
That was the same at my old school and the same at the college I'm at now, which are both relatively new buildings.

DB.

BMW 440i
Can't see it happening, even if it does, I'm sure there will be a way round it!

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Snakey, that's it yeah but honestly speed recognition is the tip of the iceberg. I'd say in the next 10yrs you won't be able to choose the vehicles maximum speed as it will be legislated and automatically restricted for you (for safety and comfort Europe will claim). It's just typical of the modern world as most see rules/laws as something to be bent... SPEC's cameras are too expensive to deploy across the entire road network so the obvious "gun" to put to the motorists head is automatic limiting or big brothers black box in your car tracking your every move.

They don't want you on the road now so comply!!

Goliath I
Surely if cars have fixed maximum speed limit then there would no longer be a need for such high powered engines which attract buyers? If all cars are capped then the market would be reduced to more comfort and style, bhp requirements would be a thing of the past.

10 years isn't far away!

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63

Won't happen.

Imagine this scenario:

-OAP in a Honda Jizz is doing 50mph.
-I overtake at the limited 60mph.
-I hit an oncoming car as 60mph was too slow to overtake safely (I would have made it at 65mph).

Limiting speed to the speed of the road will kill more people than it'll save IMO.

DB.

BMW 440i
Wasn't there something like this on Top Gear in Japan where the GTR was limited, but then not limited on the track due to GPS.

Listerine & Poledo
Won't happen.

Imagine this scenario:

-OAP in a Honda Jizz is doing 50mph.
-I overtake at the limited 60mph.
-I hit an oncoming car as 60mph was too slow to overtake safely (I would have made it at 65mph).

Limiting speed to the speed of the road will kill more people than it'll save IMO.

errrrrr

Your example would be fine except that you'd already know you've only got 60mph to play with so, hopefully, you'd take that into account and not go for the move in the first place, thus not causing any damage or injuries, arrive at your destination and even save a few ml of fuel in the process.

Limiting speed would be massively ghey tho, I agree

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Agreed but it reinforces my previous comment about people not obeying the law unless a proverbial gun is held to their head. Im not saying I'm perfect but try driving a dCi 80 Megane II... Overtaking is not even possible.

I didn't mean that all roads would be electronically governed... I meant schools and built up areas were 30's are in place but never observed. My workshop is in such an area and it's like a 70mph test track at times.

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
They should block cameras / phones from gigs. It f***s me off beyond belief that everyone stands as watches pretty much the whole gig through the screen on their phone / camera. Just watch the actual f**king gig, you utter mong.