ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Disc wear after 1 trackday (Brembo HC & Ds1.11)

I did a trackday yesterday with brand new Brembo HC discs and ds1.11s and now have deep score marks on the discs.

Ive driven the same way on the same setup and never had this.

So
1) should I be alarmed?
2) will this reduce braking due to the surface being very uneven?
3) Will my pads get chewed up a lot faster now my discs are like this? I.e. should I change the discs?
4) is this likely to get better or worse if I carry on using them?

Attachments

• 20180307_163807.jpg
    20180307_163807.jpg
    363.8 KB · Views: 172
  • 20180307_163801.jpg
    20180307_163801.jpg
    343.6 KB · Views: 157
Mine where nothing like this with HC discs and DS1.11 pads, really smooth and hardly any wear at all after 2-3 days on either pad or discs.

That's what I cant understand. Plus ive used these pads with my old discs for 10+ trackdays with nice even wear.

To be honest the discs I threw in the skip are in better condition than these!

I've transferred pads to different discs and vice versa and never had an issue, just bedded them in each time. Out of interest mate how did you bed them in? Did you do it at the track, if so then they wont have had a full heat cycle and there in lies the issue.

I've transferred pads to different discs and vice versa and never had an issue, just bedded them in each time. Out of interest mate how did you bed them in? Did you do it at the track, if so then they wont have had a full heat cycle and there in lies the issue.

I followed the instructions as on the Ferodo website, but still seemed to have had an issue

Attachments

• 20180308_113106.png
    20180308_113106.png
    297.5 KB · Views: 115
I followed the instructions as on the Ferodo website, but still seemed to have had an issue
Did you let them cool overnight though? The discs in particular in my experience need to go through a cure. I've bedded in pads and discs once at the track without cooling fully and the pads and discs where toast at the end of the day similar looking to yours but no pad material left.

I watched this recently which gave me a better idea on bedding/burnishing.
That guy did 2 heat cycles on his ‘street’ pads before there was good pad deposit

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member

I watched this recently which gave me a better idea on bedding/burnishing.
That guy did 2 heat cycles on his ‘street’ pads before there was good pad deposit

Good video that.

Interesting when he says at the end about the transfer layer wearing off after a few weeks of normal driving and that you need to redo the bed in process to get that layer back.

Might have to try that because i do notice most of the pads i've used don't feel as good the next time on track, must be because the layer has worn off. Then they get better throughout the track day when they've been given some abuse.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
Also found this which confirms what the AP brake guy was saying.

If any brake pad is used below its adherent operating temperature, it will create friction through primarily abrasive mechanisms, slowly but surely removing the transfer layer on the rotor. For this reason, most street/performance pads like to be driven just a little bit aggressively every now and again to maintain a proper transfer layer of pad material on the rotor face.

If the brakes are used passively for an extended period of time, the transfer layer can be completely removed, effectively un-bedding the brakes. The brake system will still perform well under normal driving conditions, but before heading to the autocross or your favorite canyon back road you will want to perform a bed-in procedure.

@JamesBryan

Yeah that really got my attention too about them needing bedding in again. I have that with ds1.11 too and wondered why they kept needing a bit of hard braking almost every journey. They were so powerful when I first bed them in it was unreal

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Erm, I bedded mine in by driving the car normally and doing no harsh braking for a few journeys to get a small amount of material transfer. I then went straight into 2x 120mph to walking pace stops one after the other.

This is on ds1.11's that are fitted to my AG 200. Brakes are always s**t hot at hauling the car up, they don't squeal and you can physically feel the brakes biting the discs. When I had them fitted to my 172 cup I bedded them in by driving to the 'Ring at normal speed, then went out and did a flying lap once we'd arrived. Lol! Never had an issue.

So many people get hung up on bedding brakes in correctly. I've never followed any manufacturers instructions, and I've never had any dramas.