ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Disconnecting the battery

P2 172, 125d M Sport
Sorry if this sounds a little stupid. I have recently purchased a 2002 Monaco blue 172, which I am very happy with. It has 30K and one previous owner. The previous owner happened to be a very mature lady. A friend of mine suggested I disconnect the battery for 24hrs. He tell me that this will reset the ecu and the car will adjust to how you drive as oppose to the mature lady. Does anyone know anything about this?

not sure it needs disconnecting for 24hr but the ECU will apparently adjust itself to suit the timing/fuelling requirements of the 'new' driving style once the battery is reconnected.

edit. could be cobblers - haven't tried it.

PMSL.

Also, if the lady never drove the car fast, the ECU would "de-tune" the engine as to save unecessary wear and tear, so may only be putting out 100bhp for example. So leave the battery disconnected for about 6 days, and then it will completely wipe it. Then when you reconnect it, drive it really hard, and you may even get 190bhp out of it!!!!

It's true, my mate said.

Cro

Meg'd r27
On older cars I believe this was the case but not so much anymore. It will adjust the air / fuel ratio every time you drive it differently

Fair enough he has made me look a plum.

What I quoted is actually pretty much what a mate said to me once!! :D Just it was when I had a fiesta, was about 18 and I exaggerated all values.

Wasn't directly taking the piss outta you, just so you know lol.

P2 172, 125d M Sport
To be honest he seemed genuine, and said it was a well known thing with Vauxhalls!

Clio Sport 172 ph1
The car will adapt anyway that's true, it will just take a little longer

So no harm if You test it :) one minute should do the trick, then start the car and live it till it reaches full temp. (coling fan should start)

P2 172, 125d M Sport
The car will adapt anyway that's true, it will just take a little longer

So no harm if You test it :) one minute should do the trick, then start the car and live it till it reaches full temp. (coling fan should start)

Cheers