ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Dissappointing RR performance

Been over to RS tuning today in leeds, definately recommend the place.

Anyway, put my recently purchased 172 cup on the rollers and it peaked at 156bhp (128.1 atw) and 140lb/ft

Bit dissappointing considering my old 172ff managed 164bhp and 146lb/ft....

I know the rr at RS tuning is a little tight but i can't help feeling a little let down. speaking to paul he said the car is running a little rich, and hot!

would have had it mapped there and then apart from discovering a rattle at 5k - cambelt time!! prob a good thing to discover really....

just wondering how others have got on with theirs at a rr??

White clique
there were a few 172s at a rolling road day we had in the south east a few weeks ago, even some of the modded 172s were making less than 160, i think a couple were around 154.

Is it standard? If so, i wouldnt say 156 is a massive disaster to be honest.

In between cars....
Thats a bit of a bummer mate, is that about what a stock 172 will be putting out?

Is it all timed up properly and that? Maybe worth a diagnostic to make sure nothings faulty and affecting things

Golf
had me 172 on the RR twice, not at rs tuning but used the same place both times, First time made 164.3 bhp then about 6 weeks later went again just to make up numbers for a RR day and it was down to 159 bhp so a tend not to take notice of RR figures now lol

Ph1
From what you say in the post about it running rich, hot and a rattle at 5k, seems like that points in the direction of a problem rather than just a standard car on a realistic set of rollers

well i'm having the cambelt done tomorrow first thing.

once done i'll take it back to RS and have it custom mapped. paul said there was a lot of room for improvement. i've been a couple of times now and know he's not a bullshitter. had a look at his ph quick 172 supercharged track car, what a beast!

i understand air temp can make a slight difference but to be honest the conditions were pretty much identical.

during the run you could smell the cat working overtime, and the inlet manifold was roasting!

williams and trophy
sounds about right tbh. most ppl make the mistake of thinking the 172 shud have 172 bhp..its not,. its 172 psi, which wud equate roughly to around 160-165 ish at best

thenever make book figures, well none of the 1s iv seen on the rollers has anyway lol

R53 Cooper S
sounds about right tbh. most ppl make the mistake of thinking the 172 shud have 172 bhp..its not,. its 172 psi, which wud equate roughly to around 160-165 ish at best

thenever make book figures, well none of the 1s iv seen on the rollers has anyway lol

Pish!...mine made 187.3bhp (142atw) /156lbf.ft on the rollers;)

i had mine up there about two weeks ago, standard got 158bhp and mapped got 164 i think. so as above your not that far from where it should be.

172 A Cupwork Orange™
when i had my cup on the rr i got 184.5bhp

Mods

Custom stealth cat back
Decat
Rstuner Remap

needless to say i was happy

black ph2 172
a know its not a clio but my friend has a cooper s, she got it rolling roaded and its supposed to be 168bhp and got 202bhp. after mods she is now running 240, apperently this is common on cooper s's. how come all 1*2's are all under. its really annoying we all have to spend so much money to get them anywhere near what there supposed to put out .:mad:

ITB'd MK1
lots of optomistic RR's out there, and people go back because they like big figures. The real point of dynos is for optomising tuning and not just giving figures so dont get too hung up on peak power.

Saying that, I think you're a bit down on power. Dyno dynamics RR's give you very good graphs which can tell you a lot about what the engine is doing and you can do a hell of a lot of problem solving with them. Have you got a graph?

Black Gold Trophy
To be fair my 182 only made 170bhp on the rollers, but my power graph looked exactly how I wanted it, a nice linear climb in power all the way to the limiter! The torque graphy was also nice and flat, no horrible peaks anywhere! I didnt bother checking my tyre pressures or anything before going on. Theres loads of factors that can affect the readings! Also the positioning of the fan doesnt always allow for good airflow on a car that would get plenty of cold air whilst out on the road. My 182 never feels slow either and has no problem embarrasing much more expensive cars on the road.

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6
a know its not a clio but my friend has a cooper s, she got it rolling roaded and its supposed to be 168bhp and got 202bhp. after mods she is now running 240, apperently this is common on cooper s's. how come all 1*2's are all under. its really annoying we all have to spend so much money to get them anywhere near what there supposed to put out .:mad:

How slack were them rollers?

:lolup:

RSTuning

ClioSport Club Member
  R35 GTR
This car was running under advanced and there was space for about another 4 degrees IMO. This was in turn causing high EGT's (didnt measure but it was hot!) Once the intake temps rise the ecu will pull even more ignition and dump fuel!

Seen a couple like that recently and they were a different car after mapping!

RSTuning

ClioSport Club Member
  R35 GTR
P.s. comparing other dyno results not from other dyno dynamics is pointless. This is only about 4-5hp down compared to most stock 172's on our dyno

B/G 182 + PH1 Track
The only way of comparing people RR results is if they were done on the same RR on the same day TBH, We had our track car done by Paul at RStuning, we have a few mods including cams we were running 184/5bhp on RS tuning RR. This was on one of the hottest days of the year aswell. We expect that if we were to take the track car to another RR we'd see +190bhp easily.
This is a great figure considering at the time (iirc) pauls track car (mainly stock) was running 160ish.
156 seems ok maybe a little short but nothing major.