ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ditching a HDD for an SSD...?

2.2 bar shed.
Looking to upgrade my iMac as its starting to get shat on by a few things im doing. Upgrading the ram and looking to swap my HDD for an SSD while getting a NAS to store all my data on that isnt constantly used, as well as finally providing redundant backup for my work which I should've done years ago.

Has anyone done anything similar, opinions on if you could live with 60/120gb's of onboard storage in the long term? If I had a newer iMac I'd just buy an SSD and boot via it with thunderbolt, but alas I dont.... :(

Bus w**ker
Can you not run both? Use the SSD to boot and store programs and HDD for regular use data, then the NAS to store infrequent use data/backup?

Monaro VXR
Before you go and stick an SSD in it etc. What is it you are doing exactly and what is the spec of the machine?

2.2 bar shed.
Found somewhere on the internet that sells the conversion cables to run both now, a lot cheaper than I expected at 30 quid as well. Probably going to pick up at 120 gig SSD and stick Lion on that with Photoshop and all the essentials which should leave 80gb or so for stuff im actively working on.

Before you go and stick an SSD in it etc. What is it you are doing exactly and what is the spec of the machine?

2010 i7 iMac with as much ram as I can fit in it. Its the HD thats the bottleneck. Do image manipulation as well as video work from time to time.

Clio Dynamique Noir
Heard this ones pretty good....Think this is the spec: quad core 2.9ghz i7 processor, 8gb 1333mhz ram, 1920x1080 screen built in bluray player/writer...?
barbiebright10-1.jpg
[/IMG]

SSD is THE best thing you can do to a comp at the moment. Typing on my MBP with 240GB SSD, and I have a SATA3 120GB SSD in my iMac. It flies!

Do it.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
I'm deffo ditching my optical drive on my MBP. Just need to be bothered.

dk

911 GTS Cab
^It's worth it. I've never gone 'ah feck I haven't got a CD dive in this!'.

240GB SSD and 500GB HDD = awesome!

can't remember the last time i used a cd in a computer, download iso in a couple of mins, done. Never missed not having one in my air.

eugegall

ClioSport Club Member
SSD is sooooo much money. I'd love one but A) I don't 'need' it B) Its just too much money for something i don't need.

SEAT Ibiza SC FR
I have one, it's faster than most other hard drives you can buy. And not far off SSD pace. Read some reviews, Google around.

Bus w**ker
HMM Fair enough. Is that s**t or something? I'm not to clued up on them.
For your needs (gay midget p**n, googling how to use your phone - especially how to reply to texts and generally being annoying) it will do you fine. Decent price too.

eugegall

ClioSport Club Member
For your needs (gay midget p**n, googling how to use your phone - especially how to reply to texts and generally being annoying) it will do you fine. Decent price too.

Ah bollox mate totally forgot. Been too busy flying ad playing golf to worry about you. But ill txt you soon. I promise.

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
My 2010 i£ Imac could do with a SSD. Can anyone help me?
I dont think my imac has space for one, unless i either get rid of CD drive. Im not really clued up on Computery stuff. Any help much apprec