ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

DIY 36k Service - Parts & Pricing?

My 172 has just hit the 36k mark and is almost 5 years old now. I'm not fussed about the service book being stamped as i didnt get stamps for my first couple of serivces. However i would like the job done properly and have the recommended parts checked and replaced if necessary. My local renault garage quoted me £420 however my brothers a mechanic and has offered to do it labour free. If i was to let my brother at it, what parts would i need and how much would i expect to pay?

filters, oil, discs, (pads and tyres were done 6 months ago), spark plugs, air con, belts... am i missing anything else?

Is there any benefit to ordering the parts online or is it just as easy/cheap to buy them locally.

Someone pointed out K-Tec offer a 36k service @ £210 which is very reasonable. Would anyone recommend this as its way cheaper than Renault Vardys. Also Im in the north east (tyne & wear area) so K-Tec wouldnt be an option but if any one knows something similar in my area I would be interested ;)

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
Maybe do the gear oil too.

Your main problem money wise is that at five years you have to change the timing belt and it is difficult. Not casting aspersions on your brother's skills but it's five hours and apparently easy for mechanics to get wrong if they don't do them usually.

titanium 182,
My 172 has just hit the 36k mark and is almost 5 years old now. I'm not fussed about the service book being stamped as i didnt get stamps for my first couple of serivces. However i would like the job done properly and have the recommended parts checked and replaced if necessary. My local renault garage quoted me £420 however my brothers a mechanic and has offered to do it labour free. If i was to let my brother at it, what parts would i need and how much would i expect to pay?

filters, oil, discs, (pads and tyres were done 6 months ago), spark plugs, air con, belts... am i missing anything else?

Is there any benefit to ordering the parts online or is it just as easy/cheap to buy them locally.

Someone pointed out K-Tec offer a 36k service @ £210 which is very reasonable. Would anyone recommend this as its way cheaper than Renault Vardys. Also Im in the north east (tyne & wear area) so K-Tec wouldnt be an option but if any one knows something similar in my area I would be interested ;)
very cheap you should be having the acessory belt changed at that mileage which is not a 5 min job
and almost 5 years i would get the cambelt changed before it snapps which it will believe me :)

thanks for the advice ;)
i really cant afford to payout £400 at the minute but dont want to put off the cam belt change for another month or two when i could afford it as im already at 36k/5yr mark.

doh!!! you far from Accrington? (i'm crap at geography)

nah im about 120 mile north of you :(

and no it hasnt had a cam belt changed yet. this was the only part i was concered about let me brother at it. he says he's confident as hes done cam belts on a clios (1.2 and 1.8) and plenty of 206gti's and reckons it'll be a little harder as there's less room under the bonet.

what about parts and pricing? is it worth ordering online (if so where from) or should i just get em locally.

RSTuning

ClioSport Club Member
  R35 GTR
IMO unless you are going to do the Cambelt too don't do the AUX belt, you might as well do them at the same time.

We are £429 inc VAT for the Timing belt kit and AUX belt, fitted.

Paul