ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

DIY Guide To Moddifying Arches!!!!

Lionel Richie

No plan, just hacked away til it stopped scrubbing!!!! The back is perfect, but i need to lower the front more!!!

so you could have given me a guide to removing the rear bumper the other day :cry:

how low is the front going

Lionel Richie

I managed to have 4 passengers last night!!!! The rear wheels were so far up the rear arches!! you couldnt see some of the alloy!!!! NO SCRUBBING!!!! (well only from the front going round corners)

Lionel Richie

get them rolled properly???? = £90ish???? feck that,im a student!!!!! I dont see why everyonne wastes so much money on labour when its easy to do it yourself!!! (as long as you know what your doing!! I have A Level Design Technology behind me + ive worked for my dad who is an engineer, so i have about 3years metal work experience behind me!!)

Erm mate I think I might have removed my exhaust and covered up some of the surrounding paintowork. I do a fair bit of grinding...as in the cutting of metal...not what you pervs are thinking ;) When I first started I managed to ruin a window (leaving small bits of very hot metal burnt into the glass) and many many other things. So always be carefull. Its far more dangerouse than it looks.

Paul

Lionel Richie

No damage was done to the paint or exhaust or anything by the grinder, sparks are fine, they dont burn your skin or anything, BUT ALWAYS WEAR EYE PROTECTION

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Fred, you got the same sub as me, nice work on the arches.. gonna aim for 110mm ?

Quote: Originally posted by Fred2001Dynamic on 17 May 2003

get them rolled properly???? = £90ish???? feck that,im a student!!!!! I dont see why everyonne wastes so much money on labour when its easy to do it yourself!!! (as long as you know what your doing!!

Fred your not having a go are you? Just thought it was foolish doing the arches with a grinder, having been in the renault bodyshop trade for more years than you are of age i think i know what im doing when it comes to cars, having reshelled, re panelled & repainted many clios, i hope you realise that youve ground off one of the main strength points on the back end of your clio. Hope you have not ground off the spot welds on the arches, as i have repaired a few back end shunts, but you do have (3 years experience?) Hence thats why i got my rear aches rolled properly. :p paul172.

Lionel Richie

Na, paul, i wasnt having "a go", im just a bit of a "feck it, ill do it myself" sort of bloke!!!!! I havent grinded off the whole rear lip, just about 3-5mm at the top where it was catching, there was a wee bit of metal sticking out and ripping chunks out of my rear tyres, so i ground those off (only about 3mm by 5mm in dimention, they werent welds or anything)

y dont you get some pic from under the arch so we can see what your cutting!

And what does proper rolling entail.....bashing parts out the way?

I dont see people making big machines that accurately roll a constant radius just so people can fit overly large wheels.

Explain please.

Skoda Fabia vRS

Demon Tweeks actually have something similar Ben, it fits onto the wheel hub and rolls back an forth

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8

yeh so do r tec, they take off the wheel and they have a tool which they bolt to the hub and it has an arm with a roller on the end they heat it a bit and run the roller in a perfect radius around the arch then they alter the degree of the bend and roll again till they are flared out slightly.

MaLicE

Sorry fred just thought you were having ago :oops:. Ben, as Malice & brun have said its a arm that attaches to the hub and gos back and forth with rollers on the end it slowly turns the lip in over, they first heat up the paint to stop it from cracking, this is the way i got mine done, with plenty of waxoil afterwards. paul172

Quote: Originally posted by paul172 . on 18 May 2003

Sorry fred just thought you were having ago . Ben, as Malice & brun have said its a arm that attaches to the hub and gos back and forth with rollers on the end it slowly turns the lip in over, they first heat up the paint to stop it from cracking, this is the way i got mine done, with plenty of waxoil afterwards. paul172
ben is being sarcastic, he sees larger wheels as a waste of time money etc etc, motorsport purist and definately function over fashion so when he says that he is meaning WHY BOTHER, LOL

well, 1 out of 4 inst too bad.....

maybe i should be more obvious with ym sarcasm.....:p

soz guys! haha

HORRID!!!!

well, initially it sounded like a diesel, but oil wasnt getting to the tappets, cause the pump wasnt primed.

After a few niggles sorted, runs sweet as a nut but the seal cant hold up and were getting ALOT of air blowing into the cooling system.