ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

DIY rear brake change?

Hi Guys,

I plan to send the old man to pick up the necessary items. Can someone confirm exactly what parts are required to change the rear pads and discs?

Much appreciated

Westy. MX5
What car do you have? it's a vague question. Usually just the pads and the discs, a can of brake cleaner will help degreasing.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Don't do what i did the first time and just rip the little spring metal bits off the pads, you need those!

S4, Tamora, Conti GT
Changed my rear discs and pads yesterday, you need a 17mm spanner to undo the callipers to get the disc out, a 30mm socket to undo the bolt in the middle of the disc, some heavy duty grease, and some pliers.

MK3 GTI golf 16v
rear pads and discs lol, just a matter of straight swap. spanner and socket required as above ^
bit of brake cleaner on the disc and some copper grease on the new pads if you have any

Thank you guys, sorry for the vague question, the thread was wrote in a hurry before work.

I own a 182, a friend is helping, I just wanted to make sure I have everything ready.

Any other tips or hints?

Westy. MX5
Have a look at them when you buy them or ask the parts man. And buy the ones with the wheel bearing already fitted, the chances are they will need doing as well. OE's are plenty good enough.

It's a toothed ring near the centre of the disc, back surface iirc.

Have a look at them when you buy them or ask the parts man. And buy the ones with the wheel bearing already fitted, the chances are they will need doing as well. OE's are plenty good enough.

Ok thanks chaps, my dad has already picked some OE's up. I'll have to check them tomorrow for the abs ring and bearings.

Lionel Richie
you don't touch the caliper, just the pad carrier (2x17mm bolts)

you MUST use a torque wrench on the rear huub nuts otherwise you might die

Lionel Richie
invoice is in the post! ;)

hope you fitted the nobble on the back of the pads into the piston correctly!!! oh AND torqued the hub nuts (very important, or you could die)

invoice is in the post! ;)

hope you fitted the nobble on the back of the pads into the piston correctly!!! oh AND torqued the hub nuts (very important, or you could die)

Haha, I owe you a beer. They will be torqued correctly tomorrow, it was past dark when we got past the piston problem.

koi

Audi S1
Just had a look at my rear pads, is it normal for the pad on the inside to wear faster? Only done 20k so didn't think they would need changing again so soon.