ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

DIY service book.

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
Do people keep there own version?

Im thinking of doing one. If i can, i do most of the work myself and sometimes i have help from a good friend who works for engine dynamics. But this is mostly DIY.

This isnt a problem on here as i take photos of everything and i have receipts of all parts bought but of course the service book would not be stamped.

For example, I did a oil change in may and will be doing another one over xmas and its just had a PAS pump and AUX belt change. This was all DIY so nothing in the service book.

Didnt know if people do the same and only stamp the big jobs as and when they need it.

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
Problem is im unsure of mileage up until now. It would be a guess.

For piece of mind ill do the maintenence things like oil changes, suspension part changes, etc.

When it comes to the big jobs like belt changes ill have to get as many photos as i can. I have a flickr album purely for this car which can match my DIY work too.

I have a folder of receipts of everything from my ownership plus previous ownership. I just didnt know if others did it?

Clio 182
I personally just keep receipts. The dates will give you a good idea as to what and when and mileage is easy to work out from old mot receipts.
A detailed diary like you suggest would be much better though.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
I had my vehicle folder today and didn't realise how many receipts I've collected for it!

I'm going to need to make a new folder for all the paperwork, I had it serviced by an Independant garage the first few years of ownership before I got into doing it myself.

Now I keep receipts and update my thread when anything gets done

Monaco 172
I think It would be a nice touch to have a book i think, might give the new buyer (if you sold it) more confidence that the car has been looked after,

but on the other hand it may make another person cautious "oh a hand made service book written out by the owner..seems legit?!?!"

I just put the date & mileage of when i fitted said part and put all my invoices in date order in my folder.

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
I mean, chances are i will sell it on here (if or when i do) and people know the documentation of it. Plus i have a folder of receipts to back up my pics on here but i didnt know if it was more proof of work that has been carried out by myself, etc.

I know these car dont warrant full service stamps anymore.

I personally just keep receipts. The dates will give you a good idea as to what and when and mileage is easy to work out from old mot receipts.
A detailed diary like you suggest would be much better though.
This ^ receipts with dates give a clear indication to what has been done and when, I'd much rather this than a service book with no info what so ever or tick box options which can be so easily forged its unbelievable, 'cam-belt service....check!'

PH2 172
When I was first looking for a 1*2 there was one for sale locally, I asked him if the belts had been done and he said no proof of belts.
I walked away and a few days later he messaged me saying he had found "cambelt at XX,000 Miles" written in the front of the book.
Safe to say I didn't take that as concrete evidence

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member
I have kept all of the receipts of the items I I've purchased and wrote mileage (to the nearest thousand) and date on them. The pile of paper work is getting big!! The only thing I don't have a receipts for brakes from George RTR from over the summer. But fonon my project thread and it details it there.
I still have the original service book for the car and write in that the oil changes and sign it myself as "owner". The cambelt change was stamped by the garage that did it plus the receipt is in the stack of paper work.

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
I have just had the AUX belt changed by my good friend Alex who works for Engine Dynamics. Now i paid via paypal for the kit plus driveshafts and other bits. Came to a total of £470 for just parts as i got him to order them.

Now i have a PayPal reciept and have wote on there "Renault Parts". These were paid last month but due to other commitments the AUX belt kit has just been fitted this weekend. I have one pic of the pulley off, etc, but this is where the grey area is for me. This is what prompted me to start this thread.

Clio 182
I know I'm "in the trade" but I've always kept an up to date spreadsheet of what's been done with a column for Date, Mileage, Who did the work (usually me) and also what was done.
I've never struggled with it come sale time as I'll always take time to present my car for sale, my old MX5 sold for top money due to this and went to someone who understood exactly what they were getting.
There's only so much you can do, and based by your build thread you already go about it the right way.

Last edited:

MrBlonde

ClioSport Club Member
Ive just got a folder with all invoices of work done by Engine Dynamics and receipts/invoices etc of parts i have bought for the cup,but i should also keep a record of all the oil/filter changes i do to,as i do that every few months.
Also keep all the old MOT's.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
I tend to keep all receipts & take photos/do online blogs of any work done.
Basic servicing etc i write in the book, with a date/mileage, on occasion i stamp it using one of Sarah's "well done" crocodile stamps she uses for marking the kids work.

Clio F1 197 Cup
I think having a build thread/photo album documenting all the works goes a long way. As DynoDan has said, I think it is also very much down to taking time to present your car carefully and thoughtfully when it is time to move on; I am a bit overkill and I am sure many people didn't bother reading it, but the last car I sold on PH had a 2,300 word description!

With my paper work I have built a template of a 'mock' invoice for 'Tom's Home Garage', I simply state the work that was undertaken, itemise all the parts, record mileage and date and then file it away with the appropriate receipts attached.

Photos are a good way too...

I've always kept the receipts, and I have a file for every car that is in my possession. It's also a good idea to include a few photos of the progress it's been through and if you've got a detailed Project thread, show the potential buyer it.

There shouldn't be anything incriminating unless you've told them it's never seen a track day and you've got Track photos on the thread :laughing:🙈

rs 1an

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Sounds dodgy to me Mark, in the trade not sure of the mileage one careful lady owner, I went in a main dealer to get a part for Suzannes car and the service man tells me her car has free Renault servicing for 4 years At least if you do it yourself it gets done properly Mark and you have the invoices. you could easy sell on here if you wanted

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah i know ian. It was a small concern thats all.

Either way i have detailed pics of everything which i ca print off if need be, but have kept all receiepts if everything thats been bought.

I bought a notebook so i will just bactrack and do a write up in the book to correspond with the reciepts. Its just extra proof/information.

rs 1an

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
The stamp means nothing it's the record with the invoices that count Mark. Whoever bought Suzanne's rb197 from Renaultretail was told the cam belt had been changed but he contacted James and he told them it was due hence why not showing on any invoices with the history. Even when they refixed my trophy spoiler at Renault I went and watched Mark.