ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

DIY Stopwatch tests!!

320d M Sport

Hmm, i know what youre all thinking but theres got to be some degree of accuracy in it?

Every time i try a run with my trusty 8310 I get similar times (provided i dont spin it). So, what i want to know is, all you 1/4 milers etc, i bet u did the stopwatch test, if so how did it compare to the actual time.

Paddy

BTW- i been gettin between 6.6 and 7.0 to 60 + 16.9 to 17.2 to 100--- see not much in it each time i do it!!??

Its ok for rough times I guess. Speedo errors and reaction time have to be accomodated for though I guess!

Daz.

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

I was also doing this a couple of weeks ago in mine...

Using the stopwatch & speedo method (in the 306) I was getting very similar readings to you for 0-60, but slightly faster for 0-100 at low/mid 16s! :eek:

Anyway, I then borrowed a performance meter thingy (cant remember the model), which was like a crap version of an AP-22 and it would only do 0-60 & summat else, but not 0-100, so couldnt do quite what I wanted.

But... the best I got was 0-60 in 6.64secs! ;)

Need to get hold of a better one, hopefully an AP-22 (again) and see how the 0-60 compares and get some 0-100 times in too.

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

p.s. Can anyone remember when I borrowed the AP-22 off Captain Slarty and timed the mk1 172, mk2 172, mk1 V6, Cup & CTR that day?!

Cannot find the times anywhere?! :oops:

If you happen to have them noted down, then met me know please! ;)

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Nice one Teady... :D

Tried a search on the forum, but no joy. Where did you get it from?!

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by paddymph on 19 March 2003

hmmm, AP22, theres an investment.....
Yeah... buy one... now... do it... then Illl come over to yours and use it! ;)

I actually know a guy thats selling one.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Wow, i didnt realise that the mk1 was beaten by the mk2, and not by a small margin I might add... maybe the mark1 was one of the underpowered ones that seem to come out the factory now and again.

although i think the mk2 is geared better to combat the extra weight.

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by _KDF on 19 March 2003

Wow, i didnt realise that the mk1 was beaten by the mk2, and not by a small margin I might add... maybe the mark1 was one of the underpowered ones that seem to come out the factory now and again.

This thread caused a LOT of arguments last time...

But, that mk1 we used is my mates and it was never as quick as it could/should be, however the mk2 was rapid so cars at either end of the scale.

As for gearing, yes the mk2 is geared shorter and better IMO.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

the best times I have had in 0-60 times is a consistant 6.7 but that is with either loadsa wheelspin or having the clutch fully out then planting it..

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Quote: Originally posted by Rich-D on 19 March 2003

This thread caused a LOT of arguments last time...

But, that mk1 we used is my mates and it was never as quick as it could/should be, however the mk2 was rapid so cars at either end of the scale.

As for gearing, yes the mk2 is geared shorter and better IMO.

Yes so i noticed when I read a bit of that thread.. still there is no denying the figures the mk2 is superior in everyway

To MK1 OWNERS:
(for the love of god im only joking mk1 owners please chill)

To Everyone ELSE:
(the above statement to mk1 owners is a lie and not a joke)

;)

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Those times again -

Clio 172 mk1

0-60 - 7.1secs
0-100 - 21.2secs :eek:

Clio 172 mk2

0-60 - 6.34secs
0-100 - 17.07secs

Clio V6 mk1

0-60 - 6.25secs
0-100 - 16.57

Clio Cup

0-60 - 6.67secs
0-100 - n/a

(*note - Cup was brand new and not run in)

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

the best times I have had in 0-60 times is a consistant 6.7 but that is with either loadsa wheelspin or having the clutch fully out then planting it..
Yeah, very difficult to get it just right, so theres no (or minimal wheelspin) or if you get it to bog down slightly, although in a mk2 the "fly by wire" throttle will help there.

I found that after a bit of practice I could get it right every time...

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Yes so i noticed when I read a bit of that thread.. still there is no denying the figures the mk2 is superior in everyway

To MK1 OWNERS:
(for the love of god im only joking mk1 owners please chill)

To Everyone ELSE:
(the above statement to mk1 owners is a lie and not a joke)
LOL

Dont get that one started... again! ;)

clio 20v

as ive sed before all the north west members are welcome to borrow my ap-22 for a small fee of course hehe

we need a day out of testing with a few cars but if u wanna borrow it for a week of testing ur welcome to come down and borrow it off me

as long as u bring it back of course, u need a week anyway to mess about with it to get an average result anyway as the times can vary depending on the factors u put in to the unit

adi

320d M Sport

adi, u live near me (im Irlam?) Ill bung u a couple of quid, wouldnt mind seeing what it reckons i do?!