ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

DNS server problems

Golf Mk6 Oil Burner
I currently have a single Windows 2003 domain controller withinin a 2000 domain (updated with adprep). I am looking to phase each 2000 dc out and replace with 2003 dcs.

I have installed DNS on the 2003 dc and this has replicated the data from the 2000 DNS dc. However when i remove the 2000 dc from a users IP config and replace it with the 2003 dc it cant seem to lookup any domains ?

I have ran dcdiag on the 2003 dc and the main issue seems to be this on every root hint server ..

TEST: Forwarders/Root hints (Forw)
Error: Root hints list has invalid root hint server: a.root-servers.net. (198.41.0.4)

Any suggestions guys, bit stumped!

Golf Mk6 Oil Burner
Should i remove all the root hints on both servers and setup the forwarders on both servers ?

If you put a forwarder in for all domain names that it can't resolve itself then there's no need to remove all the route hint servers.

Golf Mk6 Oil Burner
Cheers Pete.

First problem was that our ISP retired one of the DNS servers i was using + the other is no longer a recursive DNS server.

Second was windows firewall, forgot ms included this in Windows 2003 Server .... DOH !

It's nice when ISP's do things like that isn't it! lol

Windows firewall isn't on in server but default, you have to enable it.